Wacom Cintiq alternatives - A closer look

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by whazzup, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

XP-Pen Artist 24 Pro launched.
    24 inches, QHD display.

Art_N00b likes this.
  2. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

In the past week, both Huion and XP-Pen have announced 24" pen displays with 1440p resolution, available for pre-order and shipping in the 2nd half of June.

These products are so close, I'll be curious to see if any reviewers can get both of them and compare their pens, quality of the displays, drivers, etc.

Here is the Huion video:

Cuberdon75 likes this.
  3. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

I guess the next big step is touch.
    It's taking a rather long time...

4. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Might want to follow Teoh Yi Chie (Parka Blogs), he's usually good about covering off-brand digital art stuff.

He's already got an Artist 24 Pro review up:

crazycat, Art_N00b and Cuberdon75 like this.
  5. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

Finally QHD devices. I believe Huion, Gaomon and XP-Pen all use the same display and digitizer part, the only thing differ is outer chassis and driver writing. The screen spec of the 15.6" laminated display in their line up is exactly the same.

After getting used the XP-Pen 12 pro for a while, i find it pretty good now, only second to S-pen equipped Samsung tablet. The driver crash ( cursor freeze and when it come back to normal I lost control of the hotkey/ wheel) every 2-3 hour of continous use though and it's annoying. My problem probably because i still use win8, but it's still a supported OS.

I might try Gaomon next. Don't really like Huion because they sell for 15-20% more expensive than comparable device from different branch. They might make better driver though, anyone have experience with Huion driver?

Art_N00b likes this.
  6. Art_N00b

I pre-ordered the Huion which was announced a few days before the XP-Pen, so I'll be finding out if their drivers are any good. I'll report back, but it doesn't ship until late June.

7. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

They're probably using the same display but they're probably not using the same EMR implementation. I think Huion is using an older expired Wacom EMR patent (±0.50mm accuracy) while XP-Pen is using a more-recent expired Wacom EMR patent (±0.25mm accuracy)

I think the stand on the XP-Pen looks a lot more massive and sturdy, too.

8. Art_N00b

Where did you get the info on which EMR patents are used and their accuracy? That would be interesting to look at.

Marty likes this.
  9. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

While I have doubt about the whole Wacom patent thing ( those Chinese manufacturer would deny having anything to do with Wacom), but it would be interesting to know your speculation. I vaguely remember Huion (or is it it Bosto? ) got in trouble with one of their first EMR devices because support told customer to install Wacom driver for it to work.

I just assume they use same digitizer panel because they came out roughly the same time with each size of monitor:
    13" EMR: Artisul, then Huion, then XP-Pen, all around the same year
    16" EMR: Artisul first then XP pen and Huion roughly at the same time. Gaomon PD1561 (EMR ver) came the latest.
    Then Huion and XP pen introduced 12", 15.6" laminated display version, 22" and 24" device roughly at the same time too. Gaomon usually introduced their own version around half a year later.

When one new size come out, every other tablet makers have that same size in the same year. If one time it could be coincidence, but it's almost a dozen times already.:p

I noticed Huion usually announce new device slightly faster than XP-PEN but most expensive, while Gaomon make new device almost a year later but most affordable.

As for the new 24 QHD , I prefer XP-PEN because I liked physical touch ring better than touch strip. Also XP-PEN can also act as a powered usb hub you can use to connect other devices easier. Heck it may be able to power a PC stick.

Cuberdon75 likes this.
  10. Art_N00b

And both XP-Pen and Huion are headquartered in the same city, Shenzhen.