Wacom Cintiq alternatives - A closer look

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by whazzup, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

Wait, are you saying you can remote desktop into Windows apps from a Samsung tab and have pressure sensitivity and acceptable lag? I'd like to see that.

Re: the USB-C cable, I certainly hope it doesn't require thunderbolt, or else I (and many other people) am left out in the cold!

2. Cuberdon75

crazycat likes this.
  3. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

So Wacom finally put their feet into the budget space.13 inch drawing monitor for 399$, with additional Android support not bad. I remember just a few years ago the artisul D13 was released for the same price.

Still I don't get how that works with Android:
    -the article said that only Android with EMR (AKA Samsung with S-pen devices ) would have pressure sensitive, BUT all Android should have pen tablet support since Android 6.0 and even budget 100$ Android phone can have pressure sensitive with XP-Pen/Huion tablet (I tried). Probably the writer only write his assumption instead of actually trying out with a non-stylus phone?

-How does the whole phone usb port to HDMI work? Does the phone itself require uSB-C alternative mode that can natively transfer both pen data and video data at the same time ( that would limit it to very few flagship devices, especially those with native desktop mode like samsung Dex). Or does it use non-native video method like displaylink dongle ( that would works with a wider range of devices but display quality could be compromised depend on the usb bandwidth)
    @Cuberdon75 not all usb C are built the same, it's a stupid mess that it's impossible to look up the capability of USB-C in the spec page of a device:

-USB-c with usb 2.0: same speed as old usb 2.0 with a new look, no native video out capability --> most new budget phone with an UsB -C port have this

-UsB-c with USB 3.1 gen 1: as fast as usb 3.0 at 5mbps, no native video out capability

-USB -C with USB 3.1 gen 2: double the speed of Gen 1, have native video out

-USB-C with Thunderbolt 3: fastest at 30 mbps, have native video out.

So to be able to natively output video, the host device need to have at least USB 3.1 Gen 2 to enable the drawing tablet to run off single cable, and we need compatible cable. Many cheap cable are still USB 2.0 with USB-C port.

Non-native options would be plugging it into usb dock with displaylink video out and have a bigger mess of dongle:)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    Cuberdon75 likes this.
  4. crazycat

Coming back to give some comments on the XP-Pen 12 pro. After intensive use, i found it noticeably less accuracy than Wacom. It's hard to say, but drawing zoomed out is pretty hard. For example, if I try to sketch a full body, despite having a bonded display, it's hard to sketch small lines that connects, and tiny details like eyes and nose could be easily misplaced. The result would be a really simple sketch with no face details, clothes details like belt and shoes also need zoomed in to draw. Small circle like eyes is really hard to draw zoomed out and is easily get out of place. Also i feel there is slight latency between pen and cursor, which also affect accuracy.

On the other hand, I try the same thing on the super old and small Samsung note 8.0 tablet. I can easily sketch a full body, with most common detail in place, small circle is perfect, and it's in landscape on a 8 inch 1280x800 display.Despite the aging processor and pen responsive is a bit slow, it still feel more controllable on the note tablet.

The result show Wacoms is still king, anyone know how thick the glass is on the Wacom One? :D

Art_N00b and Marty like this.
  5. Cuberdon75

Huh. That's terrible. I've had good experiences with XP-Pen, though I've never tried their pen displays.

Any chance you could upload a quick video?

6. crazycat

It's not too noticeable if you don't draw too zoomed out, and by that I mean draw a character zoomed out to maybe as tall as a smart phone size (this is a 11.6 inch 1080p so only at around that size we can see the overall looks of the character from head to toes in landscape mode), and details like eyes, mouth, nose, finger, belt would be really tiny at that size.At that size, even a few pixel off would be a problem, and XP Pen digitizer is just not precise enough for that-> messy first sketch and have to draw another sketch on top to refine things.

On the old galaxy note phone or tablet, I can usually draw neat sketch from the first try ,at even smaller size than on the XP-pen monitor, probably that is difference in digitizer quality?

Edit: on pure graphic tablet like the EX08 (or star 01), it's actually more precise and have less delay than the Pen Monitor. I suspect that to eliminate jitter on pen monitor, the manufacturer had forced sofware smoothing on lines so they come out too neat (and therefore imprecise on smaller detail) and have latency so when we draw too fast the cursor trail after the pen.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  7. Cuberdon75

Then again if your display is that small, it's hard to compare oranges to oranges, as Wacom doesn't make anything that size.

The galaxy note phones/tablets have much higher pixel density, so that's not a fair comparison either.

8. crazycat

Yeah, I guess have also consider pixel density. I Believe one of the reason iPad is so loved is because of the high pixel density at 3:4 --> it can show details more accuracy when drawing zoomed out. I liked sketching on the iPad- when it works. One of the reason 16:9 suck is that it's too long and is very uncomfortable to work in portrait mode in size higher than 12 inches, especially with all the pallets and slider on the side and huge bezel. I understand Wacom won't make other aspect ratio because most windows art app have similar layout with pallet and tools on both side (or because making custom 3:4 big panel with higher pixel would cost more for such a " small company" unlike Apple who can mass produce parts). But when user are forced to landscape with only 1080 pixel of height, with the additional of top bars and tab, we only get like 900 pixel of height to draw a full body character.

You can't deny that Wacom on Samsung note/ tab is more accuracy though. The Note 8.0 device I got only 1280x800, and even when I try to draw in landscape mode with only 800 pixel of height, It still feel more accurate... If we can keep the same pixel density on a higher sized monitor, it would be better than iPad

9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Actually I'm fairly certain USB-C with the 3.1 standard does support the Display Port Overlay Mode of up to at least one 4K Monitor. The USB-C 3.2 standard doubled it to two 4K monitors.

However I was unaware that anyone was making USB-C ports with 2.0 speeds......kind of surprised they would even move to USB-C from USB-micro at all.

10. crazycat

USB-C is just a port. It looks good and have a better design, it became the sign of a modern device, devices with micro usb is getting called outdated, so manufacturer moving to put that port on recent smartphone. However most smartphone with USB-c that is not flagship does not have a video interface. Some have USB 3.0, most have 2.0. The port is mostly just a marketing scheme.

I noticed the list of android supported devices for the Wacom One all have the following:

- video usb interface
    - Android have added desktop support so it can show an extended Display in landscape.(samsung dex or Huawei desktop)