Wacom Cintiq alternatives - A closer look

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by whazzup, Dec 14, 2011.

1. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

@Cuberdon75
    Taobao is not very user-friendly on mobile browser, especially Android where it constantly redirect to app download. You might even need to create an account to search and view some content. And their description is on photo not text so chrome translate is not very useful. The best way to view content is open in PC laptop the use your phone to view photos instant translate by the google translate app.
    @Marty
    Ordered the EXRAI 12 today. It's small with full set of shortcuts so I could carry it around more often. I'm excited to see how the passive pen tech improved over the UM16.

On the side note, the logistics company I use said that they will try their best to be careful but won't take responsible if fragile item get damaged during transport and ask for my confirmation repeatedly if I really want to order. Another reason I don't want to pay too much to buy stuff from China, but all devices I bought previously came safe. Chinese seller usually pad the package up a lot, and I paid extra for wooden crate, so hopefully this one will come safe as well.:p

2. crazycat

@Marty My EX12 arrived today. It's really compact, only slightly larger than the EX08. The first thing I notice is pen performance is greatly improved over the UM 16.

-The Pen is much better with finer tip.
    -digitizer is significantly improved, diagonal jitter is very minimal at 0% stabilizer. There are no jumpy spot on the display, unlike the UM 16 that have a bad jumpy area right in the middle of the display.
    -pressure curve is much better, I can make line thickness consistently without it jumping from too thin to too thick on the UM16.
    -tilt works
    -Slow, thick line is smooth (in the UM 16, when I draw thick like, it make weird turn when drawing over those jumpy spots I mentioned ealier)

The pen probably is a significant improvement. It does help reduce jitter on the UM16 a bit (though not as good as the Exrai 12) but it still fail victim to those jumpy spot which is definitely digitizer problem. Inconsistent pressure curve is digitizer problem too, and can't be fixed by a pen change.

So the EXRAI digitizer have significant improvements over the UM16. The good thing is we can buy it safely without getting problems from early release now.

As for parallax and drawing accuracy, It is good so far but I will need to use it longer to make judgement, will report back later.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    Marty likes this.
  3. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

Bosto released a 15.6" display *with touch* a couple of months ago apparently--very cheap, too. (Roughly $200 on Ali Express!)

All we need now is the switch to 4K.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Huh! Good update! I'd stopped watching Bosto a while back, but this proves that stamina and persistence pays off.

Their marketing is still haphazard, with lots of conflicting information; it's hard to tell which models have touch screens and passive pens, (pens with no batteries). They appear to be available in a variety of combinations, and you have to read deeply into the literature to figure out which is which -and the model numbers alone are not a reliable measure to go by, as the associated specs on one page will be different on another. A bit of a mess.

But if you can hunker down and weather all of that crap, then it looks like a real, actual, have it on your desk two weeks after payment device. For about $380 CAD.

https://www.amazon.ca/Tickas-Capacitive-Touchscreen-USB-Powered-Consumption/dp/B0811GRXW3/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?keywords=Aibecy+16HDT+Portable&qid=1577123469&s=electronics&sr=1-2-fkmr0&th=1

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/BOSTO-BT-16...049889?hash=item420cc48f61:g:4-MAAOSwtgNd1N6s

The one thing I'd add to any touch screen drawing device is a hardware button to engage/disengage capacitive touch, but for a small screen like this, it's not a real issue. It's only when you get on a big screen where you can lay your elbows that it matters. (I'm typing right now with my arms resting on a 27" Dell Canvas to reach the keyboard mounted at the top. You don't want the touch feature on when you do that!)

doobiedoobiedum and Cuberdon75 like this.
  5. Cuberdon75

The tiny shortcut keys on the edge look like a real screw-up though. And could it be the screen isn't fully laminated? I've seen one review claim the pentip-screen distance is a bit bigger than is the norm these days...

6. crazycat

Wow, I did look up Bosto recently but that didn't show up because it is listed under another name one Amazon. The reviewer said that he didn't like the drawing experience as much as other brand though, and that pen design looked like something from 2016.
    I doubt the display is Bonded because if it is, the seller would have advertised it to add a bit extra $$ on the price.
    It's not advertised as tilt enabled either. Recently there are two kind of EMR paned, one with tilt (like the XP pen pro model) and one without that is sold a 50-100$ cheaper ( like the XP pen non pro model). I made a direct comparison and found the tilt enabled newer model is much better when it come to jitter, pressure curve and accuracy.

thatcomicsguy and Cuberdon75 like this.
  7. Cuberdon75

That makes sense. Though I have to say the reviewer's main criticism (the lack of spring in the tip) is something I rather like.

I suppose we'll have to wait for XP-Pen to come out with a touch model of the Pro, which is probably its next step.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  8. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This may be against the grain but I'd like the Chinese manufacturers to stop copying Wacom's pen design so closely - especially the ones that have tilt.

The video demonstrates here what I have not yet found on any PC.
    3:45 seconds in the video onwards - Procreate does this but the App here being demoed is Infinity Painter.

This would also push art apps on the PC / Mac OSX to absolutely utilise tilt for artists who are less into comic line and more into natural media type art. The reviewer makes the valid point that the large end of most Wacom type pens get in the way of treating the stylus like a real natural media tool like this below.

[​IMG]

Art_N00b likes this.
  9. Cuberdon75

10. crazycat

When you said cable cutting, I thought wireless pen monitor :p
    But wireless connection in the current technology is not nearly powerful enough, and if it is, we start to worry about rf pollution...

Btw we can actually use pen and touch of a samsung tab with S-pen as a wireless monitor via Windows remote desktop... okay I'm going off topic.

Back to topic, does that Huion have bonded display? There is not much info on this other than the fact that it can connect via single UsB c. Does it have to be their USB-C cable or any USB-C cable with thunderbolt 3/ usb 3.1 gen 2 cable we buy from electronic stores would work?