Wacom Cintiq alternatives - A closer look

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by whazzup, Dec 14, 2011.

1. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

@Marty nice find. The EX08 work quite nice, but I'm getting some problem with my UM16 lately.

Probably because our UM16 was an early release, diagonal jitter still happen, and it's most promiment when i adjust the pressure curve to lighter (thicker line with light stroke) on the new driver.Thick like is so jittery it's like when we use the pen without any driver or windows ink. I dont remember the previous stable driver for UM16 so need to try them one by one :(. Though there is some cursor drift issue in the middle of the sceen that is probably hardware level, as this is one of the first EMR Chinese device around and had several refresh.

I'm going to order the Exrai pro 12 (XP Pen pro 12 equivalent) in the next sale. Mainly because I was spoiled by Ipad resolution and is used to the small size. Also that device is cheap, light, close in size and resolution, extra shortcut and laminated display. Also review said that it's jitter-free and at that size I can use it as a graphic tablet without screen on, don't need to switch to the Ex08.:p

The Gaomon PD1561 (updated PD1560 with battery free pen and tilt) is getting very cheap also, but no one review that one because it looks exactly like the older version so no warrants that it's jitter-free.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I haven't plugged in my UM16 in a while since I'm reorganizing my desk (EX08 looks much cleaner on the desk ;)), but I'll make sure to test for this next time. So far, I haven't noticed anything unusual on the EX08.

One thing I did notice with the new XP-Pen drivers are that they very sensitive to previous installation of other pen drivers. I had to uninstall the TwoMon driver to get the XP-Pen driver to load. So maybe test on another (fresh) PC and see if you're getting the same behaviour.

Also, maybe uncheck the "Windows Ink" box and see if using WinTab improves things. I know that this can affect particularly pressure response, which might be somehow related to the increased jitter when you change the pressure curve.

Ah I'm surprised you didn't get the Exrai during 11.11 (but usually the sale isn't even that special, lol :p). It will probably go on sale again soon, good luck shopping!

3. crazycat

Today I reinstalled the driver as administration and it significiantly improved things. I had deleted other driver but still plug in the Yiynova to use with Windows sometimes. However, the UM 16 have this " line" right in the middle that everytime you draw pass it, the cursor would drift lower by a few pixel, that no matter how fast or careful you draw, it still cause a kink in the lines. No driver can fix it and stabilizer only reduce it a little so it's certainly some hardware issue. Other reviewers also notice jitter in this certain model so I will treat it as a down side of being early adopter. Also do you have the problem of Ugee pen not being able to drag, maximize or minimize Chrome Window? My Yiynova pen can do it but Ugee can't.

11.11 and 12.12 usually cut down around 100-200 yuan (15-30$) that is significant if you count the full price. Also consider the fact that we are buying without warranty or return, the more we can cut down the better:p

BTW does Ugee driver conflict with display link ( because it's incompatible with Two Mon). It would be a shame as that program is quite nice and I want to make use of my older tablet as a third display.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

so....I've been looking into replacing my Cintiq 21ux......Between super large bezels and no express keys......and really subar screen quality....all of Wacoms Cintiq & Cintiq Pro options just aren't that appealing to me. I've been looking at alot of the "Cintiq Alternatives......but do any of them have touchscreens? I would prefer an affordable 16-20-inch pen/touch monitor with express keys....of all the Wacom alternatives......touch seems to be the one thing that no one has......which is kind of odd given how plentiful touch screens are with all-in-one desktops and pretty much every laptop nowadays. If anyone aware of any Wacom Alternative that I missed that would fit the bill?

5. crazycat

The only devices with touch and shortcuts is Yiynova 16/22/27 inch DF series.https://www.amazon.com/Yiynova-MVP22U-Monitor-Detachable-Compatible/dp/B073ZP6HB9

However, the pen tech is still the old battery powered with 2048 pressure level from 2016, and review on this tech is quite mixed.

BTW Gaomon just released a new PD2200 device with full laminated display, shortcuts button, battery-free pen with tilt (which is pretty likely same tech used by XP-Pen, Huion). 1080P could be forgiven because the price is super affordable at 399$! If touch is not that big of a requirement you might want to check it out.

Cuberdon75 and darkmagistric like this.
  6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

thanks, I'll look into those Yiynova models. However with me touch is quite crucial.....the lack of the touch is why I seldom ever use my Cintiq 21ux. I've gotten so accustomed to using the Multi-touch gestures in Clip Studio Paint (single finger panning & pinch zooming) that my workflow just isn't the same anymore without it. I don't even use Photoshop as much anymore because it lacks the single finger panning that Clip Studio does. If I'm gonna get another desktop/pen monitor....its just gotta have touch.

Art_N00b likes this.
  7. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

Wow, that's super cheap for a 22 inch model.

I do wish it had something like the XP-Pen dial wheel for zooming in/out though. That's far more tactile than buttons (or the touch bar on the Huions).

8. crazycat

Here is another touch monitor I dug up from China https://m.intl.taobao.com/detail/detail.html?id=596739608636&spm=a21wu.9600033.recommend.1&main_itemid=556827796510&go_item_id=596739608636&pvid=6600f90c-ac2a-4424-9681-ccc39629122b&utparam={"x_object_type":"item","x_object_id":596739608636}&scm=1007.20269.110938.1002003000000001

It is Halfsun branded, which is not a dedicated art monitor maker but a brand who sell business touch monitor, mini TV, fitness band, digital picture frame etc. However this monitor offer battery free pen, which seem to be from the same source as XP Pen and Huion. And his had touch! The price is 2200 Yuan ~312 $. The downside is import fee and lack of warranty :D
    @Cuberdon75
    The Yiynova has a remote thing connected to the monitor via USB. It has a scroll wheel and 5 button I think. You can see it in the promotion photo

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    Marty, darkmagistric and Cuberdon75 like this.
  9. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

Another great find. Nobody should buy a Cintiq clone without consulting you first! I don't think I'd be comfortable ordering without seeing some sort of video first, though.

(Re: the dial wheel, I was talking about the Gaomon, which only has touch buttons, not the Yiynova.)

Edit: I don't seem to be able to run the web page through Google translate--keep being redirected to the Taobao main page...

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  10. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Hey @crazycat, nice find on the Halfsun drawing monitor!

So I just tested this on my EX08 and I'm able to move Chromium and Edge Chromium windows. I think this may have something to do with running the driver app as administrator. Maybe try running the browser as administrator too.

Another option is try disabling Windows Ink. I noticed I needed to do this to be able to select text in Edge. It seems the XP-Pen drivers don't properly fire the "right-click held state" (creating the circle cursor around the tip) in Windows Ink mode, which Edge needs for most pen interactions. Hopefully XP-Pen irons this out in a year of so... :p

However, drawing with my EX08 is very good. Very clean lines (minimal jitter) and pressure sensitivity is very precise. I'll update you on the state of my UM16 when I get a chance to test it.