Wacom Cintiq alternatives - A closer look

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by whazzup, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Isn't the ZBX2 exactly 14"?

Also curious, have you mostly transitioned to your desktop setup now? What tablet are you using, still the trusty old T902? :)

I'm optimistic.

My bet: everything under curved portion of the chassis is purely structural. The backlight and display controller are along the button side.

We'll see, when/if I do my teardown. ;)

The Kangaroo PC from a while back had an integrated battery. They're reasonably priced though on eBay for ~$60.

Kangaroo was the most well-known, but there were other obscure Chinese variants, like Voyo and Ainol.

Speaking if cheap, the Kamvas Pro 16 just dropped down to under $500 CDN (w/coupon). That's really a steal, even cheaper than the US price (for once! Go Canada!). :)

By the way, I take it the Tecra-tiq is out of commission now? :( Ah shame...lovely job you did.

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It still works, but I boxed it up and set it aside as a backup and possible donation machine to some worthy cause. I wanted to glory in the 27" 2560 x 1440 workspace of the Dell Canvas.

Though, the Dell, even tuned up to the best of my abilities, still doesn't quite draw as nicely as the Tecra, (thanks to the Wacom driver fiasco.)

If the Tecra build wasn't so very buried in storage, I might be tempted to pull it out for a side-by-side run with the Dell. It doesn't have a touch interface, though, and I've gotten quite used to that.

I think if I ever change my setup, it would be to bite the bullet and install one of those 24" Cintiq pros. But I can't bring myself to bend the knee to Wacom. I hope one day Dell will update its driver and fix the line-hooking issue, (but that's very unlikely to ever happen.)

Marty likes this.
  3. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, those Atom stick PC already had a 5V 2A rating that can work with battery pack, I would just pair it with battery pack like Thatcomicsguy advised instead of go find some niche integrated battery model. Yesterday I saw a Z3735F 2GB Ram stick sold for 45$, so cheap that I'm tempted to get one in my collection :p

The kind battery powered NUC I suggested is those NUC with more powerful low power laptop processor like core M, with the option of user upgrade RAM and SSD ;). I mean laptop can add all that then why not a NUC? Even Core M can be put into a PC stick now.

We are facing problem of powerful processor crippled by pen technology. With low power portable graphic monitor getting better and cheaper, and the ability to work with single USB-C, wouldn't it be easier to buy a monitor of our choice and pair it with a processor of our choice, fully portable with battery and all. And it's definitely going to be cheaper than those 2000$-5000$ laptop with the best of both world :D

I looked at spec sheet on HP website, it's 14.0

Are you upgrading to pro version that you are willing to tear down this one? :D

I have to admit I really really want to buy the pro version when it come out, but I think I will try to resist the urge and wait until 12/12 sale . Too many devices in the room now. But it might take a while until they can put touch or higher res display in their device, so the XP-Pen 15.6 Pro is still the best in the alternate market right now.

Line- hooking is really annoying, I have given up on Procreate with that problem so apparent with Apple Pencil. I can't believe you can live with that, especially with your works that require a lot of fine line art.:eek:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    YVerloc and thatcomicsguy like this.
  4. Seel

Seel Pen Pal - Newbie

The line hooking issue on the Dell Canvas really isn't that bad. Personally I can't even tell if it is any different from other Wacom devices I have.
    Definitely nothing like the issue with the Apple Pencil, it uses the capacitive touch event as the first pressure level I think, and that's why the line hooking issue is so bad on that.

5. Marty

Um, well I tell myself "no"....but you know it's hard not to impulse buy when I see a good deal. :p

Like the Kamvas Pro 16, I'm tempted to get just to compare to the EMR pen performance.

Must...restrain...myself...

You're a full-fledged TPCR now, you can never have too many devices. ;)

Is this true even on the latest IPP gen 2 Apple AES? Any examples?

6. thatcomicsguy

I think it's a use case thing; it only comes up when I'm lettering or inking. And, weirdly enough, only when inking in one direction. (Left to Right, and Up to Down lines hook, Right to Left and Down to Up lines don't. It's bloody annoying because it feels like a minor tweak in some setting somewhere would fix everything).

I can live with it by slowing down, but that's been a challenge. My artwork has suffered; I can see a clear point where I started drawing on the Dell, where the lines are sloppy and have had to work to get back to the point where my stuff was before the change, and I still worry sometimes that my work is still being negatively affected. It really upsets/angers me, when I think about it.

Ef it. I'm getting a goddamned Wacom board next chance available. I'm sick of this crap.

7. Marty

Wow. That was fast.

One off hand comment in a thread about NOT buying Cintiqs :D, is enough to set you off on another major Wacom purchase.

Why not use this moment to dust off the old Tecra-tiq? Give her a good rub down and show her a little love. Maybe she's just what you need. ;)

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  8. thatcomicsguy

I might just do that. Working with the Dell is like being in a relationship with a very beautiful woman who just pushes your buttons and you have to go to marriage counceling. It works, but every now and then, you need to vent to your buddies.

9. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

I try to limit all my tech purchase to under 400$ a year ( phone included) . This year it’s the iPad and Apple Pencil, so the Pro have to wait. And I might hold off even more if they come up with something better. I’m patient :D

I only have Apple Pencil 1 and IPad 2018 non-pro. But this should be mentioned because most pencil user with limited fund would go with that.

This is in Procreate using 2 default inking brush in procreate. The top one with less stream line(a stabilizer option in procreate but a lot more unnatural). The customer service told me to turn off some options but it didn’t help one bit. All straight or curved like have a little hook at the beginning and some time when fast hatch it didn’t detect that the pencil is lifted up. I have given up on Procreate and go back to MediBang, with about 5 stabilizer and it work great. Procreate stream line suck.

@thatcomicsguy did you sell the Cintiq 21 UX?

Attached Files:

thatcomicsguy and Marty like this.
  10. thatcomicsguy

Honestly, this is the first I've heard of line hooking with Apple products. I'm sorry to hear it's affecting people. I mean, it's not a big thing, but it's a BIG thing for an artist. These tools were supposed to make life easier, to perform as well as or better than traditional tools.

They gave us that, and then once we got used to the ecosystem, the technology became impaired. The early drawbacks weren't show-stopping issues; screen-edge accuracy and parallax didn't affect the otherwise high-quality drawing responsiveness of the systems. Now those little issues are fixed, we have to suffer through half-baked drivers, bumpy lines and the weird jumpy feedback of AES tech. In most cases, I suspect mere engineering negligence.

But in Wacom's case with my Dell board, I strongly suspect a dick move all the way, deliberately impairing their licensed equipment in order to stay the king of quality. It's why I burn inside at the thought of paying top dollar for one of their machines. I don't want to reward manipulative sneak culture. (I wonder if any of them are missing fingers?)

wytn likes this.