Wacom Cintiq alternatives - A closer look

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by whazzup, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yo @crazycat, welcome back! I need a "mad scientist" partner to explore the crazy world of Chinese 3rd-party tablets with. :D

So I'm 99% sure the UM16 you linked to is exactly the same as the 1299 yuan one we bought a year ago. It's apparently now being marketed the "EXRAI um 16", but the 266 reports/sec spec is the same, and I'm pretty sure 1.1m glass (which is actually kind of thick, but still better than a lot of previous Chinese tablets) is what we have.

Another model which I'm sure is a real upgrade is the "UG PRO16" for 1859 yuan, which has an improved screen with 95% NTSC gamut vs. our 57% NTSC gamut (spec from Parkablogs review). The UM16 and PRO16 correspond to the non-pro and pro versions of XP-PEN Artist 16, with one notable difference: As noted by @crazycat in a later post, the 6 button chassis is for the passive EMR pen and 8 button chassis is for the active EMR pens, so they are completely separate product lines:

The 2 UGEE models have different chassi, with the UM16 having 6 rectangular buttons and PRO16 having 8 circular buttons:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

while both versions of Artist 16 share the same chassis (same as UG PRO16 chassis):
    [​IMG]

And a little research into the different UGEE pen versions. The "low end" version (that we got with early package of the UM16) is the P03:
    [​IMG]
    The "middle tier" version (that comes with EX08) is the P01:
    [​IMG]
    And the "high-end version" (that seems to come with new UM16 package and PRO16) is the P05:
    [​IMG]

They all seem to be available for ~150-250 yuan on JD-com, so pretty much I think they all have the same internal circuitry and the difference is the physical action and feel of the side button and tip assembly.

I tried looking for that UGEE app to enable pen input on Android, but I couldn't find it on the Chinese app store (and it's definitely not on the Play store). From the ad instructions, I think you need to send a text to UGEE's support line, and then they'll text back a download link, but I couldn't find the phone number lol.

Oh well, I guess some more mysteries to puzzle out in the future. :)

PS. Just tested the old P03 pen on the EX08 and it's working fine, so I'm pretty sure all of the EMR pens from UGEE are cross-compatible. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    crazycat and thatcomicsguy like this.
  2. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

Still waiting for the first company, whether it be Huion, XP pen/Ugee, or Bosto to implement the Huion Kamvas Pro 13 improvements in a 15.6 format...

3. Io-T

Io-T Pen Pal - Newbie

I was tempted by that one and despite the hell I went through with XP-Pen... I have to say 15.6/16 is just a perfect size. It feels so much nicer than my wacom hybrid did but doesn't feel like a heavy PITA like the Monoprice 22HD did. Getting something that size with tilt (and hotkeys!) would be amazing.

4. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

@Marty Hey thanks,there have been so many Chinese tablet coming out and they are all too cheap I want to buy all of them but I must restraint haha.

You might be right that the New UM 16 is the same as our old UM 16 at screen color and digitizer, but I'm convinced 1.1mm glass is a real upgrade. I looked at the edge of the display and find the glass in our old version to be at least 3mm away from the display. 1.1mm is more like that of some 10" non-laminated tabletPC and is much of an improvement in my opinion. But still it's not worth it to buy new one just for the glass =w=

I think you misunderstood some xp pen rebrand version. From what I know:
    UM16=X Pen 15.6 (not 16!)= EMR tech with thich bezel and 6 rectange button

UG 16 Pro= XP Pen 16 = battery pen tech with thinner bezel and 8 round button. This version also come with high color gamut display.

They use completely different tech so pen is not interchangeable!

I wonder if the report rate is affected by the pen. Other than better tip and more comfortable pen chassis, does the EX08 pen draw smoother with better curve than the old low end pen?

BTW how big is the EX08 ? It cost only 199 yuan so I might just buy the whole package for the pen lol. But if it's too big, might be awkward to use with an adroid phone;)

It might be wechat that you need to contact for the app. There is a qr code in the bottom of the device. Scan it with Wechat and it will take you to register your product with Ugee customers service wechat blog and you can chat there.

5. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  6. Marty

Hey @crazycat! You're right our glass surface is further than 1.1mm from the screen (not so high as 3mm, maybe ~2mm), but advertised "1.1mm" is only referring to the thickness of the glass!

The true distance is further, due to the air gap from it not being a bonded display. I do not even think the PRO16 version has 1.1mm total distance, because bonded displays are very expensive! :p Just think, even Wacom 22HD has approximately same parallax/screen-surface gap as the UM16.

Your right, the Artist 16 model use an older active EMR pen tech, while the 15.6" uses the newer passive EMR tech.

The pen tech between the UM16 and Artist 16 the same though, but somewhere along the line, XP-PEN changed the firmware to use different firmware/drivers (sort of like Wacom UD vs DTK digitizers). The old Artist 15.6" package even came with the P03 pen!

(Parkablogs review)
    [​IMG]

One of the mysteries to solve is if the new Artist 16 models uses the same frequency/drivers as the UGEE PRO16.

The EX08 listed as 25.5x15.9cm. It's quite a slim and compact little product.

[​IMG]

The P01 pen also has a much nicer tip feel and pressure curve as I detailed in my 'unboxing' post. :)

Hmm, dam I should have thought of that when I was still in China. Why didn't you rise from the dead, quicker! :D

7. crazycat

That make sense. So all I need is buying a new pen then, talk about marketing scheme. :D

BTW I just checked and was sure that the UG Pro 16 ( new one with high color gamut) use battery powered pen. It looks the same as EMR pen but the internal are different. Take a look at the screenshot below in the pen selling section (the text is fuzzy because It is taken with google translate instant camera)
    [​IMG]
    The P55A is described as active pen which I'm pretty sure is battery powered and it's in the UG Pro 16 spec sheet. The spec sheet also mentioned that "battery last 220 hour"
    [​IMG]
    Also I looked at the description of the new XP Pen 16 Pro high color ver in the website, the pen is also described as battery powered. So I'm 99% sure that the new XP Pen 16 Pro and UG Pro 16 are the same color display and battery pen.

It's just tricky that they sell the P55A (active) and P05B(passive) in the same page, with the same design. It's like a trap for those chinese -blind to jump in lol.

You still can log into Wechat from oversea though. The problem is how to ask them about the APP that they can understand :S

Marty likes this.
  8. Marty

Thank you for catching this!

Yeah, I got confused by the same pen design and assumed the PRO16/Artist 16 were using the new passive EMR tech. The active P55A pens seem to be for the 8-button 15.6" chassis on the UG PRO16 / Artist 16 models (and EXRAI PRO22 / Artist 22E Pro models).

Upon closer inspection, the PRO16 / Artist 16 chassis is much thicker than the UM16 / Artist 15.6, with a built in power supply and kickstand on the rear:
    [​IMG]

So really, we should be hoping that UGEE/XP-PEN eventually switch completely to the newer passive EMR and eventually unify the firmware/drivers.

Ok, finally that mystery is solved. My, they do make it pretty confusing. :p

Browsing the XP-PEN site, I noticed they released a new passive EMR stylus, the P06, with a cool pencil design:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know it is using same EMR tech as the UGEE EX08 / UM16, because this screenshot shows it paired with the Deco 02, which is the XP-PEN version of the UGEE RB170 (500 yuan and also comes with P06):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Maybe you want to get this stylus instead and test it on the UM16 for science? :D

The international Wechat app is actually different than the Chinese version apk, but hopefully it'll probably work anyways. Now to brush up on my Chinese, lol. :D

9. crazycat

I also saw that pen, but it looks so small and plasticky, and I don't really need the back eraser. It also cost almost as much as the whole EX08 tablet.

What I like about the EX08 pen i the big shape and rubbery finish so I'm planning to buy that one. :)

If you manage to download the app, please share the APK :D.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  10. Marty

The barrel size is actually about the same width as the P03 pen (only very slightly bigger), and the texture is matte plastic (not rubbery). But it's worth it just for the improved pressure response.

The P06 "non-slip, tack-free grip" does look like it might be made from higher quality plastic than than the P01 though:
    [​IMG]

Comparing the tip sizes, I think the barrel size is also roughly the same as the P03/P01 (maybe only slightly smaller).

Both the P03/P01 are much slimmer than the Cintiq pens (with rubber grip attached), but one neat thing I found is you can put the Wacom rubber grip over the pens to "fatten them":

[​IMG]
    Looks a bit more premium now... :p

crazycat likes this.