Wacom Cintiq alternatives - A closer look

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by whazzup, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Io-T

Io-T Pen Pal - Newbie

Post how that one goes! It was the one I was gonna get before my brother talked me into the 16" because it was bigger.

Another small update, got an email back from XP Pen-

So now I gotta pay shipping and hope they pay it back -_-;;

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  2. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I already have a large tablet but have been "umming" and "ahhing" over a portable option for over a year now. The 15.6 was too large for my backpack (I think) and the 13 inch seems a huge step forward with etched glass / tilt and smoother pressure. I bet the V3 Huion takes forward all that tech BUT it will still only be 1080p whereas my old eyes are enjoying a QXD screen at 27"

Trouble is, it doesn't arrive till November...

Wow, not good enough service. You paid for a pen based on an advert with a specific pen and they shipped you a box with a different pen.

If you are within the first month of getting this item - chase it up with Amazon.

I honestly think you are within your rights to demand a replacement is shipped over first with all the correct parts particularly because you have a deadline looming. I don't know what customer rights you have wherever you live but you did not receive the item you were buying. It's maybe worth contacting Amazon about this because they have the clout to scare the seller into doing this faster for you.

3. LROBBINS

LROBBINS Scribbler - Standard Member

IoT,

I don't know where you live, but if it's anywhere in the EU you have a legal two-year guarantee of conformity and should not even have to pay shipping. Amazon here is very good about this.

4. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

Sorry, are you saying there's a 3rd version of the 15.6" coming out in November? Where did you hear about this?

5. doobiedoobiedum

Have sent you a private message - however the 13" is what is arriving for me in November. I've pre-ordered now and the shipping date is very end of October.

6. Io-T

Io-T Pen Pal - Newbie

13" is a GREAT size while still being portable. I had a Cintiq Companion Hybrid I used for a while and hauled it in everyday for class work and the newer 13" screens are even lighter now. I wasn't too thrilled with it for lounging on the couch since it got kind of heavy, but carrying it around and setting it down on a table it was a great size.

7. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yo guys, just a quick followup to my earlier post about the EX08 (which was a followup to even earlier discussion between me and @crazycat about the UM16, the Chinese version of the XP-PEN 15.6"):

I noticed that UGEE is advertising a mobile "OTG mode" that might open some new possibilities for sketching on the go:

[​IMG]

Apparently, the EX08 can work in an "Intuos mode" for your phone! (but unfortunately, I can't test this out since I left my EX08 at home while traveling abroad...doh! ><)

But what really excites me is the possibility this feature could work for the UM16 in "Cintiq mode". @crazycat and I have already tested that the UM16 requires surprisingly little power even with the screen on (and can still operate in Intuos mode when the screen is off). So this is technically very feasible...

All you would need is a mobile ready usb-c dock with 2 USB and an HDMI output and bam!instant digital workstation right from your phone (for when you need to bang out a that piece real quick! ;))

..C'mon CELSYS bring CSP over to Android already and make this dream a reality haha!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  8. doobiedoobiedum

Now I've seen everything.

9. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

@Marty Hey I'm back from the dead. I'm still using the UM-16 and it seem ugee released a newer version of it which seem much nicer:
    -A bigger rubbery coated, much more robust looking pen with pen box included.
    -Glass screen 1.1mm thin which seem to be better? Anyway first manufacturer actually point out this important spec in their description.
    - updated pen chip at 266 something? Dunno if it affect much but they said it is to be smoother or something.
    -color is said to be upgraded?

Btw they sold the UM16 new pen here.

And the pen in our UM16 is here. Apparently it was supposed to be for UD10 and 13 so it seem the first stock of UM-16 we bought came with leftover stock pen of UD10 and UD13 ;(

Also the EX08 pen is here. It cost more than haft of the whole tablet though, so I might just buy the tablet to play around. Can the old um16 pen work on the ex08? If so I can just switch the pen and use the UM16 pen with the ex08 tablet on the go.
    Also, it looks like the intuos mode only work with a drawing app produced by ugee? If so we need some way to copy the app name to search on the play store =w=

10. Io-T

Io-T Pen Pal - Newbie

Figured I might as well post an update~

They sent a new one to me and it runs perfectly even though it came with the wrong pen again which is about one of the cheapest, flimsiest feeling pens I've ever had to work with. Advertising a product with one pen and then putting stickers on the box to cover up they sent the cheapo one still feels really damn low. Luckily I still had the replacement pen on the way and it came in... and even though I paid 26 instead of 16 so I would get the pen stand and extra nibs, they sent me just the freaking pen. So now I gotta wait for them to mail me the extras I paid for since they shorted me the right pen in the first place.

So far XP-Pen as a company just hasn't earned a recommendation from me. Now that I have a working one the device is insanely better than the Monoprice I was using, the drivers are infinitely better and giving me less trouble than even the wacom ones, but the support, sleazy tactics and constantly getting short changed by them makes it really annoying to deal with. What should have been a 2-3 day affair to get back to work has been dragging on weeks.

If you're a hobbyist or already have a working device and don't mind having to bang your head against a wall with support to get up and running, go for it. The XP-Pen 15.6 is a great device when you get a working one. Otherwise, maybe one of the other companies would have been a better option.