Wacom Cintiq alternatives - A closer look

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by whazzup, Dec 14, 2011.

1. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member

Worst thing is I bet that's the Kamvas Pro 156 v3 upgrade next year...

I wouldn't be willing to go up to 19 or 22 inches at HD resolution - but then I managed to get a really good deal on a Dell Canvas.

I just like the idea of something smaller I can port around with me.

Cuberdon75 likes this.
  2. Io-T

Io-T Pen Pal - Newbie

So what alternatives have people been happy with lately? Like using everyday happy.

I'm back to square one and saving to replace my monoprice because playing driver wack-a-mole to get the thing to work right is wasting too much time I could be spending on commissions. Last driver update was 2016 and for some oddball reason telegram kills the pen pressure (which a lot of my clients use).

The Huion Kamvas 13 Pro looks interesting but 400 seems steep for a 13".... They look like a company that actually updates their bloody drivers though.

3. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

- iPad Pro 2nd gen 12.9" 4:3 aspect ratio
    -- high PPI, accurate color, wide color, no performance problems, no fan noise, no drivers
    - Apple Pencil with sleeve (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077SJ25B6)
    - Matte screen protector for texture (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0189H8UPM/)
    - Apps are Clip Studio Paint, Artstudio Pro and Dropbox

I'm happy every day and done screwing around with driver issues, Windows updates, registry hacks, fan noise, etc.

YMMV

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  4. Io-T

Io-T Pen Pal - Newbie

No Photoshop and when you figure in the cost of everything like the pencil and having to pay monthly for clip vs already having it for Windows it's about the same cost as a 13" Cintiq refurb with half the functionality which kind of defeats the point of looking at alternatives...

I already have a Samsung S3 as sketchbook/light work device also, I'm more looking for info on what people are using attached to their work horse PCs.

5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No photoshop "yet".....Adobe has already declared they will...at some point bring the full program to the iPad. And given how well Clip Studio (which has a very photoshop like interface) was able to translate to iOS....it really might not take that long.

But that monthly Clip Studio fee is ridiculous. Even when its not on sale (which it regularly is), the program to keep for Windows only costs $49. $10 a month is just highway robbery, that the same as desktop photoshop.

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Its all well and fine.....until the day your art needs surpass what the iPad can handle. All the current iPads max at only 4GB of Ram and iOS doesn't have a scratch disk capability.

For my own work flow for example.....I regularly use Clip Studio and Photoshop files that save as anywhere 200MB - 1GB file. When opened up in the program they can easily hit or exceed the 4GB ram ceiling depending how complex the illustration is and how many layers. But when you get used to working at a certain size.....going lower is quite hard to do. Another major issue is moving layers and layer groups between files. Like if you want to import a fully layered illustration from one file into a another (sequential art).....while possible in iOS Clip Studio since it does allow you to open more then one file up at a time.....the Ram issue however would compact.....and depending on how large the layer group you're moving over is.....it could crash the program upon the effort.

And don't even get me started on the iOS file system or the super annoying limits of living off Cloud Saving.

7. Io-T

Io-T Pen Pal - Newbie

The file system is why I ended up going the android route for portable since you can download outside apps to fix a lot of the constraints. I have to keep multiple versions of files around for picky clients and need to be able to sort through stuff quickly.

Bad news though, turns out my issue with blobs in PS wasn't drivers afterall but that the USB port is busted from the cord being too taunt on a monitor arm which I didn't see before. So now trying to find the cash and pick something is even more of a dilemma than before.

8. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

Regarding the iPad Pro 2nd gen:

- "No Photoshop" is largely mitigated by Artstudio Pro which can import and use .abr brushes, and has Photoshop-like features. That app is under-hyped.

- Regarding hooking up to a PC, the iPad can do that too. There are 2 - 3 apps for it. Well at least hook up to Mac. I don't about Windows.

- Regarding file system, things are improved with the Apple Files app.

- Another downside not mentioned is lack of different screen sizes. It's better than Android (cannot find a 13" or higher current Android tablet), but not as good as standalone tablets which come in numerous sizes including 13, 16, 22.5 and so on.

- Regarding cost, I don't really care. I spent more trying past combos of tablets with PC or Mac, 2-in-1's, Tab S3, etc.

- Regarding the RAM limit, I could see how that could be a problem for pros. I'm a hobbyist and am super happy now!

9. Io-T

Io-T Pen Pal - Newbie

So after much debate I ended up getting a loan from my brother so I wouldn't have to cancel on the 6 clients waiting on me and ended up with-

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077PCCC7R/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

XP Pen 15.6 battery free version. I was originally looking at the Huion Kamvas 13, but he was convinced I would be miserable going from 22" down to 13 so we went with the middle ground. Here's hoping for the best!

10. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You ought to be able to get all kinds of good work done on that board. 15.6" is adequate space for most projects. I'm .6" of an inch smaller with my Samsung portable, and I don't feel too constrained beyond what might be expected.

Let us know how well you settle into it!

Good luck!

doobiedoobiedum likes this.