Wacom Cintiq alternatives - A closer look

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by whazzup, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Nizar

Nizar Pen Pal - Newbie

Finally ArtisulD22 review:

In Brad opinion the D22 is not good as the Huion 221 pro or the Xp-pen 22e.
    No words about the battery pen.

thatcomicsguy, Art_N00b and Burgundy like this.
  2. Nizar

Nizar Pen Pal - Newbie

New XP-Pen Artist 22e pro display:

Looks nice, imo more appealing comparing to Artisul d22 with Yiynova pen...

Also, Xp-pen released the Artist 22 pro, without keys. Here a review:

Cuberdon75 and Burgundy like this.
  3. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hey @crazycat, not sure if you're still into your UGEE UM16 anymore, but I have an interesting UGEE hardware update. :)

So I recently received the UGEE EX08 from China, which is quite nice; much thinner than my previous Intuos4 Wireless (PTK-540WL) and feels more elegant to use overall. But the really cool thing is that the pen is interchangeable with the UM16 (both UGEE EMR), and it has a much nicer feel than the original one that came with UM16:

[​IMG]

The original pen (above) has a smooth finish and triangular barrel with a rather shallow/cheap feeling rocker switch. The EX08 pen is round-barreled with a matte texture, that's much nicer to grip. The rocker switch also has a much more satisfying button action. (The click feels even nicer than my Intuos 4 pen.)

Now onto biggest improvement, which is the nib!

The nibs look really similar in the picture, but they feel completely different. The original pen had a really hard plastic nib, that glided too easily on glass, the activation force was quite high and pressure curve took too much force by default. The new pen has slightly softer nib that grips smooth surfaces better. It also has a lighter activation force and even pressure curve. I'm finding I have much finer control and enjoyment making light (and heavy) strokes with the new pen.

And did I mention it's so nice to be able to use the improved pen on both the UM16 and EX08! It's "completed" my original purchase of the UM16. ;)

And you must think I'm crazy, but I've replaced my Cintiq and Intuos setup with the UM16 and EX08! With the overall feel of the pen, pressure control and physical sleekness of the two tablets, I'm actually loving my new setup to my bulky (and much more expensive!) old setup.

thatcomicsguy, WillAdams and Art_N00b like this.