Wacom Cintiq alternatives - A closer look

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by whazzup, Dec 14, 2011.

1. crazycat

crazycat Pen Pal - Newbie

@Yuureikun
    Sorry for super late reply. I do notice that VA panel had some slight greenish shift when head turn close up. I wouldn't really notice if I wasn't used to IPS panel and try to match color. When I try to adjust the color to be close to IPS panel upfront, I would notice some greenish tint at the right and left edge working up close. I mostly do line art and anime art , not used to big size so only draw in the middle with right and left space used for tool and preview, and also have IPS tablet to check so it's not that bad.
    I mostly use the UM16 now though, 16" is perfect size and the IPS panel is good.

@Marty
    Did you test USB-C to USB-C with the UM-16? Does it work? Actually even with the included USB-C to triple cable, I still find the USB-C cable comfortable long enough to connect from PC to bed to put on my lap without a wired mess. :p

2. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hey @crazycat, it turns out the USB-C on my desktop doesn't support HDMI alt-mode so I still haven't been able to properly test it.

Another piece of info; I also tried the USB-C port on the Galaxy Book 12, but in this case even though HDMI alt-mode is supported, their may not be enough power supplied by the USB-C port alone.

So right now, it's still up in the air whether this possible or not. For my next test, I'm going to try on a TB3 enabled port (which should have all the pre-requisite output data/power capabilities) and I'll report back. ;)

3. Io-T

Io-T Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone know if there are any good cintiq alternatives out these days with touch? Due to being massively sick I spent some time laying on the couch working on my BB Thinkpad yoga instead of my workstation and using it again have come to remember how much I love pinch to zoom and rotate.

I'm currently using the monoprice 22 HD with the battery-less pen which works well most of the time (Telegram being open kills the pen pressure for some crazy reason) but I'm wondering what's out there with touch functionality as well.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. Vegedus

Vegedus Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm similarly in the market for a cheap touch tablet and from all my research, the only ones I've found are the Yiynova MVP22U+DF and the Yiynova MVP16U + DF. Confusingly, sometimes called DT instead of DF. The yiynova's seem to have somewhat mixed reviews on them, but the surface pro artist guy got a pretty glowing review of it http://surfaceproartist.com/blog/2017/9/11/yiynova-all-in-one-has-the-magic-touch. I'm considering getting it myself.

5. Seel

Seel Pen Pal - Newbie

After owning one I wouldn't recommend Yiynova. The parallax is bigger than alternatives and the waviness of the lines is more pronounced as well.

6. Yuureikun

Yuureikun Scribbler - Standard Member

I have to agree with Seel, the parallax is particularly bad on my Yiynova MVP22u, and the wavy lines and cursor drift on parts of the screen is pretty bad. Other brands like Huion, XP Pen, and Artisul all have better pen displays despite the lack of touch support.

7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My desk machine is an old eBay Cintiq 21UX.

It doesn't have touch input or any of the refinements which have come along in the recent years, (for instance, there's a couple of millimeters air gap between nib and cursor.) However, it uses the excellent batteryless EMR tech Wacom is famous for, draws a flawless line, and I've gotten tons of work done on it. It's a well-designed, solid and reliable work horse and it was very affordable.

Just a thought.

8. Burgundy

Burgundy Scribbler - Standard Member

Been quite a while. Gotta admit the Yiynova stuff aged like milk, and after mine broke a second time, about a year ago, I pretty much went back to my intuos pro, fujitsu stylusbook, and having my ipad pro, I didn't look much at alternatives.

Just about a month ago I decided to check out whether alternative stuff had evolved and it seems like battery free stylus enabled has become the norm in many places, and after seeing some showing okay signs, I somehow ended up ordering the Xp pen Artist 15.6", for just 360 Euro. And well I gotta be honest huge amount of bad luck but also a very clear indication of troubles. So first the bad luck, my first order vanished in shipment, after having to wait 2+ weeks before reordering, since Amazon like taking their time before you can start asking where your stuff is. The second time it finally arrived.

But new problem, the stylus that comes with this xp pen 15.6 are fragile AF, and only 1 came with the package, should either have 2 as mandatory, or the single one should be in a safe penstylus package, like the ones you get, when you order replacements.The big faulty issue with the one I had, were sporadic pressure and however drawing. IMG_20180322_153725 pen2.jpg

Well I got in contact with the seller and they were kind enough to send me a replacement, 2 actually, when it arrived about 2 or so weeks later, I had in the meantime tried to quickly order replacement from amazon, because if they are fragile, and luckily cheap too, I might as well order another quick, while waiting for the other ones. Well bad luck struck me again, and when my package arrived from amazon, there was no stylus in the package, my torture continued. Thankfully, me being extra paranoid, had ordered one from xp pen's own site too! And it ended being the first arriving of them all, YES finally! It came with extra nibs.

And it finally worked, it was actually pretty good, it was better than my fujitsu book with pen support, less parallax, but still had parallax, nothing near as much as glass-screens, since it's pretty thin, for a non glued screen, I suppose, with a matte screen protector, which gives it a pretty bite of teeth initially, too much I would say, as you will be going through 2 nibs fast, a bit like sand paper in the start, before the teeth is reduced to a more comparable level, but nice nonetheless, and very paper like drawing. This matte screen protector also obviously further reduces color fidelity on the screen, which is rather average for an IPS screen, at 1920x1080.
    taboptionsscreenstuff (2).jpg
    My settings and stuff, To make it have same pressure curve as my wacom intuos pro. The stylus itself is, sort of okay, one button is too easy to press or rather activate by simply slightly touching it, compared to the other, so I deactivated the troubling one. The form of the stylus is triangular, which is actually pretty good, takes a week to get used to, and Apple pencil is still my favorite, hands down. This one however is decent, once you get used to it, but at the start I really wanted it to just having had the same shape of a wacom pen, now I don't know.
    IMG_20180413_225031.jpg IMG_20180413_224829.jpg IMG_20180413_224711.jpg IMG_20180413_225241.jpg

The drawing is pretty good, takes a few days to wear the very teeth-like surface texture to something that doesn't eat the nibs whole throughout a day.

There are no staircase diagonal anymore, as there were at active stylus in the past, don't know if the active have removed that issue by now, at least it wasn't here, thank god.

Recommended? Well if your budget is tight, sure, but be sure to get at least one replacement stylus pen, with it too.

Oh and the Xp pen stand, you can buy stand alone, do get that one, it's incredible, and has an extremely low profile, which the xp pen artist 15.6 does have too, as seen by one of the thumbnails. One of the reason I also picked that one over another. The stand itself fits well to even normal graphic tablets and ipad pro too, so yeah, that one is a nice piece.

Overall, if you need a desktop drawing monitor, I guess the alternatives and battery free stylus options, are finally reaching pre cintiq pro levels, apart from tilt support and maybe more reliable stylus pen. And the whole "8k pressure" thing is near meaningless, why? Because to have a proper drawing feel, you better crank it up, unless you want to give your hands some cramps. But the pen has extremely light drawing activation, which I love, and was another reason why I picked this one.

However, I would recommend an Ipad Pro over all drawing tablets, nowadays, simply because it's an amazing drawing piece of equipment.

Other than that, it looks pretty bright for alternatives, if they can keep advancing the tech, and more importantly the stylus/pens too.

9. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

Anyone have a first hand report on the Huion KAMVAS GT-221 Pro? At least a few youtubers liked it, though their reviews came in after just 1 - 7 days of use and I think it takes longer to get to know a device.

10. Burgundy

Burgundy Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah looked at that one too, It's active stylus, right? The big question is whether the staircase crap has finally been dug into the dirt. Reason why I chose the xp pen 15.6 was because there were several videos of people sketching on it, with different programs. Maybe wait a while more, and see if more videos of more broad drawing/sketching videos pop up, those should more easily show it's ups and downs.

Although only one video, after I got my faulty pen, was talking about the stylus being fragile, so yeah... It's tough sometimes.