Wacom Cintiq alternatives - A closer look

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by whazzup, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

Anyone have a first hand report on the Huion KAMVAS GT-221 Pro? At least a few youtubers liked it, though their reviews came in after just 1 - 7 days of use and I think it takes longer to get to know a device.

2. Burgundy

Burgundy Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah looked at that one too, It's active stylus, right? The big question is whether the staircase crap has finally been dug into the dirt. Reason why I chose the xp pen 15.6 was because there were several videos of people sketching on it, with different programs. Maybe wait a while more, and see if more videos of more broad drawing/sketching videos pop up, those should more easily show it's ups and downs.

Although only one video, after I got my faulty pen, was talking about the stylus being fragile, so yeah... It's tough sometimes.

3. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

The Artisul D22 page has been updated from "coming soon" to full specs, pre-orders and shipping before May 20th:

https://artisul.com/tablet-stylus/d22/

Although I don't know what a "Square Key for replacing touch" is...?

$650. Free shipping to U.S. and Canada.

I encourage someone here to buy it and tell us how it turns out. :)

I would do it myself, but that Huion GT-221 Pro is on the way. Although if I had both I could really compare the crap out them...

4. Burgundy

Ah very interesting, Artisul were one of the first with a proper battery free pen stylus type comparable to wacom's.

I hope the stylus they are listing is simply a placeholder, 2k pressure with battery?

Pen stylus type at this point is increasingly more important, ever since Apple Pencil came on to the field.

It would be nice to see if someone would be able to recreate the same type of pen tip apple uses, so it's tip center point is more balanced and accurate.

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  5. Nizar

Nizar Pen Pal - Newbie

Artisul is indeed an interesting tablet, what I don't understood is the choice of the AAA battery pen, this reminds me the old and infamous Trust tablet... strange because the company behind artisul has a long tradition into battery free pen.

Today huion and xp-pen offer 8000 pressure levels (are real? Honestly I cannot feel so much difference between my old intous 3 with 1086 pressure level and the new one), rechargeable pen, ok but with built in battery (AAA battery...) and also offering two pens, so you hard will stop due recharge.

Gt-221 pro is the natural competitor

Even Parblo today offer an interesting pen display, Coast 16, as far I know it's the only pen display, not wacom, with battery free pen, 8000 pressure level and tilt. Unfortunately they had a (imho) silly design choice with a single button pen, I cannot understood how they can state the table is compatible with Maya or 3dsm...

6. Seel

Seel Pen Pal - Newbie

Marty likes this.
  7. Burgundy

That AP 2151, looks awful lot like the Ugee 2150, until I saw the extremely thin screen from the side.

[​IMG]

Quite fascinating, and might finally put them extremely close, to the more expensive brands.

8. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Pen Pal - Newbie

Here is a review of the Acepen 2151

thatcomicsguy, Burgundy and Art_N00b like this.
  9. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

That pen nib sure pushes in a lot!

I've never drawn with any pen or pencil with that much play, analog or digital. I can only imagine what it would be like to draw with a miniature pogo stick.

It would be nice if the reviewer had talked about the drawing experience and pen responsiveness and line fidelity. Hardware is important, no question, but at the end of the day you'd think that the thing most artists would care about is how well you can lay down a line.

Cuberdon75 likes this.
  10. Nizar

Nizar Pen Pal - Newbie

ACEpen have not a site, look not so reliable company IMO

Another 21.5 cintiq alternative from Parblo:

Burgundy likes this.