Wacom Cintiq alternatives - A closer look

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by whazzup, Dec 14, 2011.

1. chocow8s

chocow8s Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, looking forward to it!

2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just received the XP-Pen Artist 16 pen display to review. Haven't hooked it up yet, but positive first impression: nicely built, with eight express keys in chassis. Lots of extras: two pens, 8 nibs, screen protector, glove, all for $489.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  3. surfaceproartist

Anyone know the Vendor ID for UC Logic? The XP-Pen's active pen is compatible with displays I have on hand from Huion and Yiynova. But I don't want to assume they're all using UC Logic, which markets its own pen displays under the Artisul brand.

4. crazycat

crazycat Pen Pal - Newbie

I finaly pulled the trigger and ordered a Yiynova mvp20U+FE. New 20inch full HD MVA display with remote and stand included for 2730 yuan (~403$) bought off yinova's taobao, adding a matte screen protector and forwarding service and it's about 470$ for a full package, price is too good to pass up.

The reason I wait until the FE come out is because they got rid of the undetachable cord design that just screamed Murphy's law in the previous version. Though some reviewer complained that the connection is a bit loose, i would rather buy a new cable than sending the big, bulky thing oversea for repair.

This is the first time I bought a screen this big, so excited. Just hopefully it won't ruin smaller screen for me.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    surfaceproartist likes this.
  5. surfaceproartist

6. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nice work @surfaceproartist!

One thing you said jumped out at me when reading on your review:

"The Artist 16 begs to be taken off its desktop stand and used on the lap. Three cables connect precariously off the left side of the tablet."

Which got me thinking...if you took the Artist 16 off it's stand and strapped it to a budget mini-pc (with built in battery) like the Kangaroo Mobile Desktop, couldn't you theoretically construct a poor man's Mobile Studio Pro 16? ;)

People might scoff at the Atom X5, but as Shogmaster showed, the X5 can perform admirably for sketching and light painting.

And if you want to go fully cordless, you could power the Artist 16 with a battery pack capable of 12V output combined with an appropriate DC barrel adapter.

What do you think? Too crazy? Too ugly? Too messy?

(Haha, this is the kinda stuff I ponder after work. :p)

Burgundy and stoneseeker like this.
  7. surfaceproartist

Definitely not for me, but you're welcomed to give it a try and report back!

8. crazycat

Nice review @surfaceproartist . The 16" looks really nice and might have suited my drawing habit better, if only it wasn't out of my geographical range ;)

However, I have yet to see a jitter test. How is the XP -Pen 16 faring with jitter? I find UC -Logic (the pen with battery variant ) reviews really mixed, some claimed their device perfect without jitter, some say it got jitter...

So the first thing i did when my Yiynova doesn't feel very precise is doing a ruler test. The jitter is significant when paired with thick glass and it does make lines go off track when drawing very thin lines with too tilted pen angle. The problem can be easily fixed, just zoom up a little (so line is thicker in real time),adjust position accordingly and line would come out buttery smooth and nice. However the problem is still there, and it's a weakness compared to Wacom EMR. Their calibration features is also inferior to Wacom.

My FE model is only one variant of UC logic however, and I'm curious how other Yiynova /UC Logic model faring.

My guess is that the bigger the display, the more prominently 'wavy' it get. At least it's what happened with all my EMR tabletPC. My biggest EMR tabletpc also have a bit of waviness when compared to smaller ones.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    surfaceproartist likes this.
  9. surfaceproartist

@crazycat Line waviness generally isn't an issue for me as I tend to draw quickly, use stabilization and NEVER use a ruler on glass. ;-)

When I wrote my review of the Yiynova FE, I think I understated the waviness issues of that display. Unlike the jitter seen in other devices (which is more of a sawtooth pattern), strokes on the Yiynova have actual waves.

XP-Pen, on the other hand, has the least amount of jitter I've seen on a UC-Logic device. It's still there, but not nearly as pronounced.

thatcomicsguy and crazycat like this.
  10. crazycat

@surfaceproartist Actually I draw with CSP stabilization too, but I usually keep it low for more natural line. And because drawing feel imprecise so I only used the ruler to check the jitter problem, not to draw ;)
    Actually I prefer the 'wave' than the zigsaw jaggy line. This wave is actually slight if you draw at moderate speed and can easily be redeemed by zooming up a bit. Jaggy line can only be fixed by turning up the stabilization, and I prefer not to go pass 15 with it.

In practice, at the right setting and position , the Yiynova can create lines as nice as that of an Wacom EMR tablet. But as a hardware it's not as good because it had to rely on software fix while Wacom work well out of the box. I love my Yiynova, it works great, but I also want to know its hardware limitations.

The ruler test is also to find bad or dead spot on the digitizer, which spot to avoid drawing on, and I think it's good practice to do that when buying a new tablet in case you can return,

It's good to know that the 16 had minimal jitter. It probably depends on how companies assemble their device, as even
    Wacom EMR got slight waviness on some tabletpc.