Wacom Cintiq alternatives - A closer look

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by whazzup, Dec 14, 2011.

1. robotmonsterous

robotmonsterous Pen Pal - Newbie

Which laptop are you using it with?

2. Burgundy

Burgundy Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm using my msp19u+ on a deskstop PC, windows 8.1. and a surface pro 1 when out of home.

On the other reply, if your budget can support the upgrade, get a mvp22u+ v3(!), and upgrade your laptop, but if you also are waiting for the yoga 15, maybe you should wait another month for it, before burning your money? the mvp22u+v3 is the best alternative around to a cintiq, as of right now, yiynova's next line is getting constant delays as well, something tells me they are working on revision to their new pen tech, which has had some problems, but those problems aren't in last year's mvp22u+v3.

Where are you going to be using this the most, at home, or while out of home?

3. Seel

Seel Pen Pal - Newbie

Last thing I heard is that yiynova's drivers are better on windows than on mac, so this confuses me a little. Maybe you have some other drivers on your windows machine that interfere with it?
    You should try removing all drivers related to tablets that might still be on there, like wacom's drivers etc, because they interfere with yiynvoa's drivers. Then reinstall the newest yiynova drivers. http://www.yiynova.com/En/qudong.php (V 8.01 for Windows)
    Don't know why they ordered the drivers like that on their site, but ok.

The MVP 22u has a little less parallax afaik, because the glass is closer to the screen.

4. Tsukiko Valkyrie

Tsukiko Valkyrie Pen Pal - Newbie

ah, looks like i came to the right place to ask about cintiq alternatives.
    I currently use a TM2-2190sa tablet-laptop and I'm getting fed up with it being sluggish now for high res stuff and only being 10". It's had a good life and run though these last 5 years.
    So now I'm looking for a cintiq-alternative to use on my main pc (which is a gaming beast and won't be sluggish haha), and so far from what I've researched my current best options are either:
    • Get Huion Gt-220
    • Save longer and get Yiynova MVP22U+(V3) (seems to be the best of the current crop)
    • Wait and see how the UC-logic 13" looks in mid april (not as large as i'd like but price might be deciding factor, might still get later in year too)
    I would go straight for the yiynova but it's like an extra £150-200 compared to the huion for same size, but I'm unsure if it's worth the extra cost.

So,
    Does anyone know the primary differences between the yiynova mvp22u+v3 and huion gt-220? is it worth the price difference? is it worthwhile waiting the extra 1-2 months to save money to afford the yiynova instead? :S
    (some info, i intend to use on a desktop in extended desktop mode alongside my existing 2-3 monitors on win7-x64 using gimp and mangastudio4 primarily, maybe blender in the far future).
    Any advice would be appreciated :)

5. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I have no advice for you regarding that decision, but I'm thrilled your still rocking a Tm2! That thing was incredible for its time. Still one of the most affordable options to be released for a convertible tabletPC and quite powerful for the price. I almost want to get a used one cheap just for collection purposes, a real gem! Has similar nostalgia and appeal to the ep121.

Tsukiko Valkyrie likes this.
  6. Seel

Seel Pen Pal - Newbie

I'd save up for the yiynova 22 inch version, it's what I'm doing right now.
    I hear people are having a lot of driver issues with the Huion.

Tsukiko Valkyrie likes this.
  7. Burgundy

Burgundy Scribbler - Standard Member

Wait 2 months, there's a chance both the new 13" and 20" of Yiynova might be on the shelves by then, they have been delayed because of the problems the new 10" faced with it's new batteryless pen Tech, by then not only will you have more options, you will have options of both newest, and most reliable products, to choose from, since the mvp22u+ v3 is the most revered of them all, for good reasons too, better IPS panel, lower parallax offset than the others, most reliable digitizer board, DVI, which is placed in a non intrusive angle (huion GT220 has terrible cord placement).

Chances are Huion will have come with a revision of their GT-220 as well, and Huion makes sexy graphic tablets after all, so maybe the revised have more than just good hardware inside, but also outside.

On the upcoming 20" Yiynova, it will have a keybind remote, like the new wacom 27", and be of the newest digitizer boards tech, but with newest comes unforeseen problems as well. If they have gathered all the bad stuff from the 10" model, and taken the revisions to the 13" and 20" first, then if the reviews of the 13" seem to have fixed all the problems of the 10" had, it would be safe to go for the 20", since they all use the same new digitizer boards and pen tech, and possibly drivers.

8. Tsukiko Valkyrie

Hehe, the tm2 was possibly one of the best art purchases I ever made, that thing changed how i do art (beforehand i used normal g-tablets). Since it was one of the first sort of tabletPCs I seen and it corrupted me as I can no longer use a normal laptop without unconsciously touching the screen for mouse clicks haha ^^;; i updated the memory in it but never got around to replacing the hard-drive with something faster :< so it still takes forever to open up haha. my only gripe about the tm2 is the colour calibration isn't the best on it and the effective viewing angle is..weird with colours. far too shiny a screen too (even with a screen protector) :<

oouu, thanks guys, I didn't realise huion is still getting driver issues :S I was hoping to get the new tablet before the summer so i can work on comics for the summer conventions but i think i can live with the tm2 a bit longer for that if there are better stuff coming out :) i wonder when the 20" yiynova will come out.. might be more cost-effective than the 22" and i won't notice the "2" size loss (since I'm coming from a 10" tablet). looks like yiynova will have my purchase unless, as you guys say, they release a v2 gt-220 :-D

9. robotmonsterous

robotmonsterous Pen Pal - Newbie

Speaking of old tablets I've actually been using a motion le1600. Got windows 7 working on it and that thing is great. I swear it's %80 of of a new cintiq tablet. Sure it'll bog down a little with hi-res stuff, but really not much as near as I can tell. And I got it for 60 bucks. A tablet PC for 60 bucks! And the battery lasts for about 2 hours. You can also get the bigger battery for about 30 bucks.Of course I put windows 7 on it and upgraded the memory and am putting an ssd in it. SO for under $200 dollars you too could be rockin a stylish Motion LE1600. Or you could be retro, keep the xp on it and there you go digital art for $60. The 1700's have dual core but they're running around 150 - 300. They are more compatible with W7(graphics) The only problems I've run into are like I said, the graphics drivers are not fully W7 compatible so not much 3D although photoshop cs4 reports 3d accel and no external monitoring. But other than that it all works beautifully.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  10. Tsukiko Valkyrie

man, i was gonna say it beats my tm2 but then i seen it has limitations on how much ram it can take. putting 8gb of ram into my tm2 is not something i regret, esp now that i'm working with high res images.
    though, your le1600 does sound cool XD i wonder if you wire it up on the network could it be used like a pseudo-network-tablet monitor :3 you know, main pc do grunt but use it as input and display only XD