Wacom Cintiq alternatives - A closer look

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by whazzup, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Burgundy

Burgundy Scribbler - Standard Member

So the long silence, seems beginning to break. Checking each different company once (+) a week finally pays off?

Just spotted this oddball of a monitor by Yiynova, thanks to them showing "(multi) touch sig" at the front page, which has pen+multi touch. USI, but the specs look fairly similar to the old monitor with only minor changes here and there, although might indicate something major too?
    http://www.yiynova.com/En/proddetails.php?proid=34&clsid=1&fid=1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Difference spotted from the spec list.

New one has a faster report rate stylus 230 points per second(from 200), but everything else of it's pen notified as the same, other than now having multi touch as well.
    It's weight is reduced by 700 gram, thinner glass or changed hardware?

Display seems to be exact same.

So is it just a possible abomination of touch+pen attempt, or is it perhaps using a new chip, cough USI cough, which also is the reason for it's slim down in weight, albeit having same unit dimensions?

Was kinda hoping for them to be using UC Logic or Hanvon's EMR to be honest, so I'm kinda "meh", as the quest for EMR, still seems legit, but if this oddball, has the USI chip inside, it might not be bad either.

EDIT: lol seems like Panda City announced this yesterday, and it's ready for launch shipping, already next week.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    Marty likes this.
  2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I saw this from Panda City last night. It's a shame they haven't improved the ugly product styling. What makes you think it's USI, @Burgundy? Huion had a multi-touch pen display over a year ago.

3. Burgundy

Huion had multi touch pen display? Don't you mean Monoprice's abomination of an in-house attempt?

My only guess of it being USI, is simply because it's meant to be built within the touch display chip, and that it's extremely lightweight compared past digitizer boards. UC Logic is a USI member, Yiynova is a partner of UC Logic, and Yiynova has been using UC Logic, since their tablets/digitizer displays became decent. Kinda expected their next to be built upon UC Logic's new EMR though.

It's only a guess, because they said they were working on tilt sense, not touch input, in the last 1½ year, so the touch input comes out of nowhere, but would make sense if they are part of granted USI chips, since apparently, members have had access to it since Q4 2015, to be able of making their own stylus designs?

But the part which also debunks the possibility of it being USI, is perhaps the screens LPI resolution of 4K, which is exact the same of last models, unless the USI chip can be whatever the makers want it to be in it's LPI resolution?

Added by all these delays, Yiynova has been changing their upcoming 27" model several times now, and is now estimated for Q4 2016 or Q1 2017 release.

Pure speculation, for the most part though, obviously.

4. surfaceproartist

Duh. Brain fart. Yes, I was referring to Monoprice's last model and I still own it and much prefer it to this latest unit.

5. crashnburn

crashnburn Scribbler - Standard Member

Is there a quick cheatseet/ list of these alternatives or does one have to jungle through this thread?

6. Celpacius

Celpacius Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a question about the Artisul D13/10.. I'm just wondering if the tablet has any pen pressure when using Adobe Illustrator? I'm hearing contradicting reviews, several outlets are stating that it does not have pressure sensitivity for for Adobe Illustrator. Others, including Artisul themselves have stated that there is.

any confirmation if there is or there isn't?

if it matters, i'm using Adobe CC.

thank you in advance.

7. surfaceproartist

I wish I could test it for you but I had to return my review unit.

8. Celpacius

Celpacius Pen Pal - Newbie

right, i think i asked this question on your website :)

thanks anyway

9. Birck Cox

Birck Cox Pen Pal - Newbie

I sympathize. I bought a Yiynova 22 two years ago, and then a Huion DWH 69 pen tablet after that, and they both had the same problem: However sensitive the stylus, however accurate the tracking, the drivers simply could not handle Adobe Illustrator. If all I ever used was Photoshop or Painter, maybe I would still have the Yiynova, but it would crash whenever I tried to use Illustrator. I guess complex, layered, color vector drawing makes demands on the drivers that the programmers hadn't prepared for. Even the Huion tablet couldn't handle it. In both cases I complained to tech support about the driver, and the best they could offer was a separate driver that would run Illustrator, but not Photoshop. I would have to shut down, switch drivers, and restart to switch to Photoshop. A pathetic response, in my humble. Meanwhile, Wacom seems to have taken "everything Adobe" into consideration from the start; as a result, Illustrator runs slicker'n deer guts on a doorknob on my Cintiq. But the Chinese companies probably won't let that situation go on too long. That was two years ago, and maybe things have already changed. I lost interest after I got the Cintiq. Good luck, but don't assume that anybody but Wacom can handle Illustrator.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    thatcomicsguy likes this.
  10. Burgundy

Ugee seems to have made a new 15.6" 1920x1080 IPS monitor, for cheap money too, only problem would seem that it uses same old tech, instead of going EMR, I wonder why Artisul(uc logic) aren't licensing their EMR tech to their partners, Ugee and Yiynova, yet?

https://www.amazon.com/Ugee-Resolution-Graphics-Monitor-Drawing/dp/B01M0X6PIJ

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Artisul(UC logic) should also start preparing 15"-24" models with their EMR tech, thought they do be releasing new 20"+ models by now, they would have had a good chance chipping away at Wacom, in the EMR drought period, but now with MS about to announce and showcase their upcoming SP5 and Wacom having released their newest tech with their mobile studio, albeit extremely expensive, now feels like a wasted opportunity.