Wacom Cintiq alternatives - A closer look

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by whazzup, Dec 14, 2011.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes and no....that $3699 was for the Multi-touch model which costed a ridiculous $1100 more than the non-touch. They either came to their senses with the massive overpricing for the one additional feature of touch, or it just sold poorly. the price difference between touch and non touch on the 27QHD is more respectable $500 difference. Also with 27QHD, they don't include the Ergo Stand anymore like they did with the 24HD. You have to purchase that separately for another $400. So the fully stocked 27QHD Touch with Ergo Stand is gonna hit $3199. Which is better the the 24hd touches original price, but the difference is more due to lower price of the Multi touch then anything else.

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

No stand, you say?

$400 you say?

That stand had better fold laundry and shovel driveways.

Wacom does know how to play that weasel card!

rebelgonebad likes this.
  3. Burgundy

Burgundy Scribbler - Standard Member

The funny and sad part about the 27" cintiq, is that it costs less than the 24", and a little more than the 22", here in Europe. And there is absolutely no reason to go for the 24", when you can grab the newer, larger, and higher resolution model. Somewhere I wouldn't mind if Wacom made new 22"/24" without that ****ty stand of theirs that obviously takes a good chunk of the price, and a slimmer bezel area.

I am expecting Yiynova's next 20"+ model to be 1440p and that the only reason they are keeping tight lips about, is because they want to sell as many of their current mvp22v3 models, which are having highly favourable reviews.

4. Seel

Seel Pen Pal - Newbie

Wouldn't be too sure about 1440p at ~20 inches.
    The only 1440p panels you ever see are 27". But who knows, maybe someone finally started making them at different sizes.

5. thatcomicsguy

Those Yiynova MSP22U (V3)'s are looking really sharp.

The reviews are excellent, and Pandacity's sales people sound excellent as well. It seems Wacom finally has a competitor able to truly stand and deliver. That took about... three years of development? When did we first hear about Yiynova as a possible contender?

$1000 is still a bit steep for their premier board, but you're spending $800 less than the comparable Wacom 22" Cintiq. -And when I think about it, $800 doesn't seem entirely far out if you want the additional pen tilt feature and overall meatier build quality Wacom provides.

But I'm of two minds... Even $1000 is a huge markup per unit, but the development crews have been putting in their hours and deserve enough reward to keep them in the game, so it seems fair from that perspective...

Though I would only be truly happy seeing these high prices if I knew the proceeds were being fairly distributed among the assembly line folks as well. -Because we're paying Fair Trade prices for slave-made goods, and that burns...

6. Burgundy

I Wish, we could get those mvp22 v3's to 1k bucks here in EU, because they cost almost 1500, here, 950 Euro, 800 pounds, so yeah, Yiynova knows that after Wacom's crazy prices, there is plenty of price space, to insert their own prices, especially since they now are several times more known, than they were just 2 years ago, and that the only feature they are missing, is pen tilt. Soon it will be all about, "do I want to pay this much more for this function?".

But yes, Yiynova are moving up in ranges, where you will start considering about just saving some more, and get the Wacom equivalent instead.

This is only happening, because in the alternative market, for tablet monitors, Yiynova seems to have taken a quite large lead, I just hope Huion comes out with a v2 of their GT-220 soon, Huion makes such great and sexy graphic tablets, if they just could do that with tablet monitors too.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  7. azaniramsan

azaniramsan Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmm, maybe you got a defective unit or outdated driver I don't know. I own MVP22Uv3 and it was terrific, better than my ntrig, sp, cintiq 13.

The point is that the one I have here is using the same technology as the 19+. The only difference is the screen. The screen on my unit have 94% srgb and 74% adobe rgb with 178 view angle, roughly same as cintiq 13, at least without the grainy screen filter.

It does have distance between pen tip and screen due to the thick glass but in term of accuracy, I prefer yiynova to cintiq anytime.

I extended the screen with a laptop and additional monitor and never have any problem with photoshop cc or clip studio.

Maybe you need to tweak some settings and update the driver. 19+ won't be as close as cintiq, due to its screen quality, but mvp22u is.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  8. thatcomicsguy

I wouldn't touch any system that didn't accept HDMI or DVI video input. VGA belongs in the last century. -Even the now ancient Cintiq 21UX only accepted DVI. Yiynova's smartest move was to adopt digital video input on their 22" model. I don't know what the heck they were thinking using analog on their 19".

9. Burgundy

You either have lingering drivers on your mac that's fighting with your yiynova drivers, you are using wrong drivers, or you got yourself a defective unit, but in most cases it's the user not clearing other tablet drivers, before installing this.

The gorilla glass screen does create a sense of parallax compared to which position you got it in but it's offset shouldn't be that big, only in the corners, which almost all touchscreen/pen devices share.

The VGA is indeed an old thing of the past but the best adapt to use in this case, if the mac supports it, is the displayport adaptor.

At this time, I wouldn't really recommend the msp19u+, since it's quite old by today's standards, you would be way better off going for the mvp22u+ v3 not only does it have DVI, it has has high quality IPS panel, and comes with the newest pen, which is ergonomic delight, I had to pay 80 bucks that thing, sigh.

The only program I have troubles with, is open canvas, which saddens me, quite an awesome one. MSP19u+ should work in almost any other program though, photoshop included.

My advice to you is simple, get in contact with Panda city or Yiynova, whoever you bought it from, inform all your troubles, and your wish to return it and possible get a mvp22u+ v3 instead, it will cost you what 400 bucks extra but that thing is what we call, a proper cintiq alternative for today's standards.

10. robotmonsterous

robotmonsterous Pen Pal - Newbie

Well thanks! now I kind of have to take back some of what I said and eat my hat, because I checked out the msp19u on an iMac at work and it worked just like promised. Multi-monitor mode, sketchbook, Clip Studio Paint, Photoshop all worked beautifully with it. Windows on the other hand...well read my post above. So if I keep the Yiynova, I'll go back to Mac. Does the 22 V3 have the same parallax as the 19?

Anyway I'm trying to decide between the Cintiq Companion 2 with a used mac or Windows box, ( I find the screen a little small, but not terribly and it is mitigated by the touch like zoom and pan, a great machine though) the Yiynova MSP 19U+ with a new imac, or possibly upgrading to a 22 V3 Yiynova, and getting a better used mac, or a cintiq 22u with a really basic windows or old mac box or just f' it and go back to pencil and paper. I've been doing this dance for months now. I'm on a budget of 2K. You'd think for that amout I could figure this out. I was also waiting for the new lenovo yoga 15 thinkpad, but am getting tired of waiting. Nothing seems to be settling with me, too many choices these days....I think there is definitely something wrong with me.