Wacom Cintiq alternatives - A closer look

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by whazzup, Dec 14, 2011.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Found this interesting blog post by a graphic artist who reviewed the latest iteration of the Yiynova 19".

Drawn - The Yiynova MSP19U Cintiq Alternative Swings for the Fences

"[...]I reviewed Monoprice’s graphics tablets. Those use UC Logic digitizers. They’re snappier in OSX than Wacom equivalents with less cursor lag and crisper fidelity in small movements. They sensed light pressure with more accuracy than any Wacom hardware I’ve owned. I was so pleased with the UC Logic based tablets that I purchased a heap of other equipment by them. I sold my Cintiq. I sold my Intuos. Eight months, four tablets and around nine styli later, I became an all UC Logic studio.

I wished that someone could pair the underlying, fantastic UC Logic digitizer tech with a tablet monitor enclosure. I even bought some hardware to try and make my own. But now I don’t have to. Yiynova must have been listening. The MSP19U is a second generation product that jettisons the inferior Waltop digitizers of the first model and replaces them with UC Logic internals."

(See link for full review)

It sounds like Yiynova has been working to fine tune their digitizer by upgrading their hardware and perfecting their drivers. And it sounds like this attention is paying off.

The only trouble for the prospective buyer will be in making certain the machine they're getting contains the latest hardware and not old buggy gear.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  2. thatcomicsguy

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I ordered the iMac version (which Cregle said will have Windows drivers too). So far, their doesn't seem to be an ETA for the iMac version... :(

I just hope they didn't forget my order after 2 years lol—I paid almost $200 for that thing!

4. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

2 years?!?
    That's beyond ridiculous.

5. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It's funny, after backing vaporware kickstarters (eg. iControlPad 2), the fact that Cregle is even releasing the iPad version now already makes me happy, lol.

Taking a step back, I suppose 2 years is quite ridiculous...

But hey, I've pretty much resigned myself to this necessary "hazard-of-the-trade" of being a tablet tech enthusiast. :vboops:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
    thatcomicsguy likes this.
  6. AmbiDextrose

AmbiDextrose Scribbler - Standard Member

Here's a review of the newer Bosto Kingtee 22HDX Pen Display Tablet by the person who runs parkablogs.com - a site that reviews art books and art materials:

http://www.parkablogs.com/picture/review-bosto-kingtee-22hdx-pen-display-tablet

His conclusion - good enough as a Wacom Intuos alternative (he didn't have a Cintiq for comparison) for Windows but the current drivers still leaves much to be desired when working with Macs.

rebelgonebad and thatcomicsguy like this.
  7. thatcomicsguy

What a nice review! Good find.

However, I remain so totally turned-off by Bosto's openly rude, borderline abusive (and arguably insane) customer service approach that I wouldn't risk my own sanity attempting to buy even pencils and paper from them.

If they can keep their dumb-assery buttoned up and ship working products for the next couple of years without issue, I might take them seriously again. But until then, I'd much sooner buy from Yiynova. (And pay less, it sounds like too).

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    Burgundy likes this.
  8. AmbiDextrose

AmbiDextrose Scribbler - Standard Member

He (Parka) might have better luck since he bought it off a local vendor in Singapore. That probably insulates him from Bosto's tech support for the duration of the warranty period. Plus, being in Singapore probably means that replacing a defective product won't be as big an issue compared to if he was elsewhere.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  9. Burgundy

Burgundy Scribbler - Standard Member

That Bosto does look promising but we are talking about Bosto, notorious for their extremely ****ty customer service.

It's very interesting though, at them using a 2k pressure battery free pen though, since Huion, Yiynova, Ugee, and Bosto, gets their boards/production plans from UC-Logic, Bosto is always fast out with theirs, often at the cost of quality control, and with a very questionable customer service, you are literally playing Russian roulette, with your money.

This is however very depressing, with lack of news on upcoming Yiynova/uc logic 20"+ tablet monitors though, by the time they announce/release it/them, I'll probably have saved up to buy the 27" cintiq, oh man, the thought is both somewhat interesting and also sad.

rebelgonebad and thatcomicsguy like this.
  10. thatcomicsguy

I hear you!

That 27" Cintiq is expensive at $2299 (for the non-touch version), however... In 2013, Wacom's flagship 24" was going for a lot more; $3699. So.., Wacom has evidently responded to the increased competition. It costs a $1000 less today to go full-on Cintiq as compared to just a couple of years ago. (And if I'm reading their website correctly, shipping is free).

Or you can save another $1000 (from the 2013 price tags) if that Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 15.6" works as advertised. -A nearly 16" 1080p screen attached to a very powerful portable, (capable of supporting up to 32Gigs of RAM according to some sources; definitely 16 Gigs. And with a modern low power/high performance processor. That's more powerful than my current Cintiq workstation at home!), -And it will likely be in the $1300 price-tag zone.

You almost don't need a full Cintiq (alternative or otherwise) if you get one of those working properly.

The appeal of these 22" 1080p alternatives is somewhat less I find, especially with their almost $1000 price tags.

If all that doesn't suit you.., you can do what I did; I bought a used and slightly dinged Cintiq 21UX on eBay for around $400. Though you have to be patient and quick on the bidding button. :)

rebelgonebad likes this.