Wacom Cintiq alternatives - A closer look

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by whazzup, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Lion IT

Lion IT Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Tsukiko,

disclaimer! Take these info with a pinch of salt as I have not received an MVP20 yet.

The panel will be an high quality MVA.

Do you think that a longer cable for the RH control could be useful? Yiynova is always happy to hear and implement suggestions from the customers; the whole MVP22 evolution is a clear proof of that (and that's why I love working with them!).
    However I have some practical concerns about using a longer cable on the RH control and I think that it could be more an hassle than a benefit for the majority of users.
    An alternative solution implementing detachable cables of different length could be way more practical, but would increase the production cost and, even more important, may impact the durability of the component (as some users may choose not to fix it anywhere and would move it around quite a lot).

If you are talking about the actual DVI/USB cable it is 1.8 meters long and it is enough for most situations. Of course with a monitor arm and the PC placed under the desk it may become a tight fit.

OT: About the lack of DVI ports on the 390X. It is about time for this switch, but I think that for this generation we still see the DVI port implemented (if not in the reference design, at least by some partners). Hopefully we are just hours from the official launch! :D

ron2k_1 and Tsukiko Valkyrie like this.
  2. Burgundy

Burgundy Scribbler - Standard Member

Hello Lion, and welcome to the forums, glad to have some Yiynova guys here to take our questions, since I'm pretty pro towards alternatives to Wacom Cintiqs.

1m on the RH sounds fine, my only suggestion to that thing would be more buttons on it, it's probably a great tool for only sketching, as it would keep your hands on the screen, in case of monitor arm, easy to twist the screen around, but more buttons would be something I would vouch fore, since I'm using a Razer Nostromo keypad right now for hotkeys while using editing programs.

If there is something you should suggest back to Yiynova's R&D team, it's to stop using integrated video cables. Just have ports on the side, so in case of cable degradation, we won't need to send the entire tablet monitor in for replacing the integrated cord, but simply plug in a new cable instead.

And finally, any information you can give us regarding the 27" model, is it a beast just in size but also underneath? :)

Hmmm can finally order one mvp22u+RH on the EU store, and I kind of pulled the trigger.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  3. Tsukiko Valkyrie

Tsukiko Valkyrie Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you Lion,
    For me the length of the cable is an issue due to my setup, but i'm probably not a normal setup. I have a desk that i use for artwork and my pc & normal monitors rest on a different pc desk next to it, with the pc being the side furthermost away from the art desk (which i intend to put my monitor on), so for me, i need to get longer cables to reach that far.

Forgive my poor understanding, can you define high quality mva for me please? We discussed it a few pages back, but what sort of colour gradients will this have? What sort of contrast ratio will it have? Will it be as good as IPS? Is it different from what is used in the yiynova MVP22R3 or the new 27"?

yea, the switch to displayport will probably happen soon in the graphics industry so I've read the new AMD cards will probably not have dvi so the dvi-dp converter will be handy.

a lil cheeky here though now, do you happen to know how soon we will hear news of release dates/specs for the mvp20 in the uk? :-D i'm itching for more info hehe.

what about having the RH be detachable or at least have interchangable cables or something so that people who prefer shorter can use a shorter cable, those with longer grasp use the longer cable? personally with my TM2 I used a usb cable controller so it works out grand for me at <1m :)
    Is the RH compatible with Manga Studio 4+ and GIMP?

Thanks Lion, I greatly appreciate you coming on here to answer queries for us :-D

4. Lion IT

Lion IT Pen Pal - Newbie

@Burgundy
    Thanks for the welcome!
    About the buttons...well, actually it do have more buttons even than V3!
    The button in the center of the Flywheel cycle between 6 different functions (you press it, reach the function you need and then use the jog to set the desired value). So, let's say 6 buttons in one, plus 5 other buttons :)
    Can't compete with a Razer Nostromo of course, but that's an incredibly convenient solution!

About integrated video cables. It is one of my observation too. Again I think it has been weighted in terms of cost/benefit.
    How many cable degradation issues did the average user experienced with their products? Is that worth the extra design and production costs?
    Anyway I will happily report it, as I find that, overall, detachable cables would add a good value to the products.

No info worth to be reported from me, but only a small observation:
    it would take the place of the current flagship.
    Yiynova proved to be pretty interested in providing only high quality (especially in the cream-of-the-crop models), otherwise we would not be here comparing these to Cintiqs costing double that price :)
    Do you think they may ends up on the market with a solution that is actually a step backward in terms of quality? :)

@Tsukiko Valkyrie
    As said before I cannot really define it as I have not received a MVP20 unit yet. It will be different from the IPS panels used in the MVP22 as it is a completely different panel and technology but, again, do not expect a step backward :)

No info on official EU release of the MVP20, sorry. I know for sure that it will be soon, so stay tuned!

The RH controller is detachable from the pen display. I find the 1m lenght to be perfect in daily usage, as it doesn't bother with a long cable laying around but is still long enough to be comfortably placed anywhere around the unit.

Tested with Manga Studio, but not with GIMP honestly. Anyway it acts as a normal hotkey system, so I expect its compatibility to be perfect all over the board with every software (so far had 0 issues).

Passionate OT: Lot of stuff is being said about the new AMD graphic lineup...I just try to keep the inner geek as quiet as I can and wait for the cards to be officially announced (or for proper leaks). Keep in mind that the design that circulated (the one without DVI ports) seems to be related to the Fury X card, that is not the 390x. I expect the 390x to have a DVI output, as the DVI user base is still huge and 4k (the thing that will most push the change) is not spread enough yet. No mainstream output may make sense on an elite board, but much less in a mainstream board.

Happy to be here among passionate people!

Burgundy and Tsukiko Valkyrie like this.
  5. Mario Salas Jiménez

Mario Salas Jiménez Pen Pal - Newbie

New model comparisons from Morris Wang:
    [​IMG]

Available end of this week
    MVP22U+RH with Remote Hot Key

The latest version of the MVP22U+RH is equipped with a high-grade 21.5" IPS panel. Delivering Full HD resolution, 250 cd/m² luminosity and a pixel response time of 14 ms (GTG), the LED-backlit displays stun with extremely vivid and natural colours (color gamut of 79% Adobe RGB and 98% sRGB) and super-wide viewing angles of 178º both vertically and horizontally. Equipped with a remote hot key, all your short cuts in your hand.

Professional Tablet
    The responsive tablet, with a resolution of 4000 LPI (lines per inch), tracking speed of 200pps (points per second and 2048 pressure levels, will create that natural drawing feeling you have been looking for.
    The monitor is equipped with a tilt adjustable VESA stand allowing you adjust the display angle between 15 and 90 degrees vertically, allowing you to draw in virtually any position.
    The VESA stand can be removed, so the monitor can be mounted on a standard VESA arm (75 * 75 mm).
    The Remote hot keys will let you control your software with the press of a button, the flywheel can be used to select a function by clicking and let's you adjust the parameters (brush size, zoom, scroll etc.) by rotating the flywheel. 5 programmable buttons will let you store and call up keyboard short cuts.

Connection
    Video connection is DVI-I ensuring a crisp and color perfect picture, the unit ships with an adapter pack, containing DVI to HDMI, VGA or DisplayPort. Data connection is through USB2.0.

Design
    The unit is equipped with scratch free gorilla glass; even years of drawing will not leave a scratch on the display to cloud your view. The unit is lightweight and can be put on your lap.

Package contents
    MVP22U+RH
    Remote HotKey
    P2X Pen set * 2
    Artist Gloves
    Pen Stand
    DVI-I Adapter Kit (VGA/HDMI/MiniDisplayPort
    Power Supply
    Power cord
    Quick start guide
    Driver disc

"}" data-reactid=".3" style="color: rgb(109, 132, 180); cursor: pointer;">Me gusta · Comentar · Compartir

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
    Tsukiko Valkyrie and Burgundy like this.
  6. Tsukiko Valkyrie

Nice find Mario XD

Lightweight and can be put on lap? I didn't realise the larger cint-alts could do this, is this common? has anyone tried this? :S normally i do artwork on my tm2 on my lap so this is an interesting thought.

Lion
    ah, that's grand, i suppose i'll find out in the coming weeks when it gets a release :)

oouu, didnt know the RH controller is detachable, that's good to hear. 1m sounds grand for me personally XD

glad to hear it works in MangaStudio and should work in gimp too, i'm looking forward to it!

OT: Well, the new HBM cards come out on the 16th and are now called the Fury/FuryX i think (i'm hopefully getting the Fury). I think it is those ones that don't have dvi. I don't mind it as much but i have an older dvi 120hz gaming monitor that i can run full 120hz off the dvi-d socket, so i'm just worried how do i use this monitor at 1080p120 off a displayport instead a dvi ^_^ i'll have to figure that one out.

7. Burgundy

Finally got it, today, very exiting. Here are some pics of package, accessories, and how protected it was ect.

package, had lots of air cushion and flamingo stuff to protect the actual box, that's nice, because there was a hole in the outer box, no damage inside, yay.
    [​IMG]

More protective stuff around the screen and all the accessories in bags.
    [​IMG]

Some more stuff, I actually missed two bags that was inside the protective fold, was just the adaptors (dvi to : mini-dp, hdmi, and vga) there was no regular dvi to DP adaptor) Good thing I bought an dvi extension cable then, lol.
    Contents, artist gloves, remote, 2 premium stylus pens, stylus stand with other uses too, power adaptors, display adaptors, warranty, manual, quickstart guide, penholder for backside of screen.
    [​IMG]

Picture of the first version premium stylus p2x(green strip) and the newer one(red strip), will be interesting to see if something has changed, from the looks of it, not so much.
    [​IMG]

The remote, pretty small and very light, the suction cups on the otherside, and seems to be a button in the middle of the jog itself, it felt okay, when you dial the jog it ticks like some safe jog but no need to pressure, the buttons seem hard to press by accident, both bad and good since you won't be tapping it like tapping on some screen, instead it needs just that little more pressure.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Seems like it's built to be placed at either side of the tablet, while you draw so you can hold the screen to tilt it as you wish, at least from what made sense, so in that thought alone it seems a lot more usable than I personally thought it would be.

Now to set the thing up and try see if I'm able to have both my msp19u+ and the mvp22u+rh working together, will update/edit along the way. :)

8. Tsukiko Valkyrie

ooouuu, pretttyyy XD yea, keep us informed of your experiences with the 22rvh :)
    hmm, that's really sucky about no dvi-dp converter? was it meant to be in there? i mean, surely with most graphics cards use DP instead of mini-DP so the main adaptor should be included :S i hope the mvp20u coming out has one. hmm..

aaaah, still no info on the mvp20 ;_;

9. Burgundy

I don't think it was meant to be there, just me thinking DP++ was normal DP adaptor, but was just the mini DP, if only my GPU card had such a slot, because my DVI extension turned out to have the dreadful dvi-i male end, so had to use a combination of my own adaptors, luckily it worked.

Might as well get the bad out of the way first because that's the only bad thing I've found so far, I couldn't get my two pen tablet displays (both from yiynova) to work together, the drivers kept crashing, and if both had their usb(for digitizer board) stick plugged in, neither would have pen enabled, so unless yiynova in the future tries to do something with the driver to allow two of their screens on the same computer to work in tandum, it's one digitizer work screen. This is the only bad thing, because there are a lot of great surprises, which I didn't really expect, I only saw the "better and bigger screen" coming.

The first good surprise, while testing it out a bit it's not only better in screen quality, the glass surface is thinner than the msp19u+, so less parallax and less instability while holding the pen over the surface, might have be due to a larger surface so the boards 4k LPI board doesn't have to differentiate so much but there is a clear smoothness drawing on the mvp22u+rh compared to my old msp19u+, this might also be from the newer p2x pen, which I go on about later, but the result is certainly the perception of more control.

There is a clear difference in pressure curve between the new and old premium stylus, old one was pretty hard to get up to full even when set to light, not as bad as Huion but still, the new one gets there more easily. It also seems be more smooth in it's pressure drawing,

[​IMG]
    While the pressure curve really was lighter in a good way, I also saw something that might relate to be pressure curve, giving the new one a more smooth lines than the old premium pen.

The install was well, pretty much plug and play for me, since it used same drivers, it switched automatically to showing the jog, in the hotkey options, when it recognized the monitor, as soon my msp19u+ was unplugged, everything worked, right away.

The Jog is again more practical than first thought, the middle button in the jog is a switch, to 6 different modes, the middle button itself can be hotkeyed to another button or system function, but the 6 different modes in it, couldn't be edited, at least from the options there, I guess there might be a file that can be tweaked to change each of the hotkeys for the modes, there are room for 6 modes, but there are 11 modes to switch to those 6 spots, for the jog wheel, some of which did not work in PS CC, because their keybind was most likely different from what I've changed them to, I suppose they would all work, if I used default keybind in PS CC.

The 5 other buttons can be customized as you wish, all kinds of button combination, system mode, or program activation/switch.

All in all, I will most likely be using the jog a lot, since it is quite nice having both your hands on the screen/tablet/monitor.

While the screen looks great as is, I will have to wait a bit longer to judge it fully, because right now I have a weird adaptor setup, goes from dvi-i, to vga, to DP, because I didn't have an DVI-I to DVI-D adaptor, and my gpu only got the DVI-D ports, other than HDMI and DP. This is probably bad thing on Yiynova's decision to go integrated cables, better than VGA, but still having a choice to switch between 2-3 other display ports, would have been a life saver for me.

But even so here are some pictures, of the setup, and possibly worst case scenario for the reflection from the glass surface too, and the viewing angles, well what you would expect from an IPS panel, pretty beautiful till the very corner.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is my first impression of this beautiful thing, I'm pretty much super happy about jumping the gun on this one. And looking forward to see if there's any difference, when I get a proper adaptor going from dvi-i to dvi-d, and I probably need to calibrate it, it looks great and seems to have the colours right, but doesn't quite match my other IPS monitor, so one of them is off.

This is not a review, just a first impression, and on the first day, I'm pretty psyched, since it was better than expected. :)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  10. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

What a lovely tablet! Congrats!