Wacom Cintiq 16

Discussion in 'Artists' started by doobiedoobiedum, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Tabletmonkeys did report that the input delay was raised:
    "The latency is 25 ms, which is higher than some of the top models"

Although checking CP16 specs it appears the same. It is however, higher than the reported 10ms spec of the UM16/XPA15.6.

Did you run the same test on your XP-Pen Artist 15.6 and see if you're getting the same stroke delay?

neongolden likes this.
  2. Burgundy

Burgundy Scribbler - Standard Member

Ah, probably that then. Well it's probably higher delay than my xp pen 15.6.

But I haven't used my xp pen 15.6 in a long time, never remembered any striking delay. Doesn't matter though, it's drawing feel and experience is utter garbage in comparison to the wacom pro pen 2, it was almost like first time drawing with apple pencil, all over here. Apart from the slight delay of course.

Overall it's good, can probably live with the slight delay, especially as long the stylus is precise, no jitter, staircase, smooth, and very comfortable to draw with.

3. baoli

baoli Pen Pal - Newbie

I probably suggest you go for the XP-Pen , because its the closest thing to a Wacom. wait... XP-Pens and Wacoms are popular...

xp-pen has a nice price for a screen based pen tablet. Looks like a decent tablet to start with than a plain non-screen Wacom.

I have a XP-Pen Artist 15.6 Pro Drawing Tablet with Screen ( the Upgraded version of Artist 15.6 ).it has a 15.6-inch display with full HD resolution (1,920 x 1,080), It can produce 88 per cent of the NTSC colour palette . it's stylus support 8, 192 pressure levels and tilt recognition.

XP-Pen Artist 15.6 Pro recon pen tilt, It's very nice with tilt in Corel Painter, and certain PS brushes.

while using a Artist 15.6 Pro Screen Drawing Tablet , I can easily see that it makes no difference most of the time.

It doesn't affect nearly as much if you do small things, like icons and such.

when I draw , it has almost has no delay .

Marty likes this.
  4. Burgundy

I can see the point to some of these alternatives, I've been a pro alternative guy for quite some time, well untill ipad pro came along, and pretty much showed it's not only Wacom who can make the drawing feel without any of the jittery hassles.

The xp-pen 16 pro is active stylus, requires a battery no? It's sure more than likely to possess the staircase jitter.

I have already had monoprice, huion, yiynova, xp-pen tablets and pen displays, my only desire to ever jump to alternative again, will be once the EMR, battery free is done right in them, and seemingly right now, they all still possess the staircase jitter, some less than others. the newest xp pen 12" seems to be the closest thing, but it still possess it slightly. See at 5:22.

Even on my ipad pro, I removed my more expensive screen protector with really nice feel, because it was just thick enough to create the staircase jitter.

Once you see it, can't be unseen, and it will keep nagging you, as each time a line is done and seen, which present the issue, will be nothing more than, "another reminder, it's going to cost you time and sanity".

EDIT: there seems to be a new xp pen display 15.6 pro 2019, which uses battery free pen, my comment was about the old 16 pro model.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  5. Marty

Another major upgrade to the screen is that its fully laminated:

[​IMG]

Along with the color gamut increase, the screen could be actually superior to the Cintiq 16! Ahh, I'm tempted to upgrade! :p

Could you do a ruler jitter test on the Cintiq 16?

What I usually just open MS paint and set the canvas resolution to full-screen native res (1080p in this case). This ensures that's there's no software smoothing taking place, so we can get an accurate gauge on hardware jitter.

6. Burgundy

smoothing programs doesn't actually do much to staircase jitter, unless you go bonkers on the smoothing and post line smoothing, which I hardly believe many would ever do to their sketch brushes ect. Drawing becomes just much more janky with it.

But sure, did a test there, did notice forms of AA post processing in MS paint though, nothing that could undo staircase, if it showed up.

Still seems like Wacom is the best anti staircase jitter there is, when you draw average speed to very slow, the faster you go, though, it starts forming polygons, a thing I have always noticed Wacom doing, and always saw it as the trade off, between fast sketcher, or precise drawing/painting, they chose to be precise where most probably needed it the most. Alternatives always seemed more smooth in the fast areas, while getting all the jitters, the slower you went, odd then, and possibly still is.
    [​IMG]
    Some obvious lines are without ruler. But as expected, slow lines are precise and without any form of staircase and distortion.

batty and Marty like this.
  7. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

Review bonanza!

8. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

9. Marty

Wow, that's great thanks Burgandy! Those look very clean.

I'm pretty sure MSPaint with native res canvas has no AA. From your image, it looks like it's actually 1536x864, so it might just be an artifact of picture upscaling to your monitor res.

Burgundy likes this.
  10. Burgundy

Thank you, and you're welcome.

It was windowed, instead of full windowed, may have been the reason.

The AA is that after stroke completes there were slight post processing of "refining" the line, only in brush mode, not pencil mode. Similar to when you have ink brush with some hard AA to make it look super clean and smooth, without any trace of pixelation ect.

Marty likes this.