Wacom Cintiq 16

Discussion in 'Artists' started by doobiedoobiedum, Jan 8, 2019.

1. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Interesting - Wacom finally take on the Chinese alternatives, the Cintiq 16 comes in at a competitive $650 and it makes sense as an introduction to the Cintiq line. The second review (Aarron Rutten) doesn't pick up that the matte screen comes via a stick on protector. I did laugh at how Rutten praised the 1080p display (as compared to a 4K Pro screen) during the test - I've read some reviews in the past rubbishing the Chinese alternatives because of their 1080p resolution but I'd guess a majority of artwork over the last 20 years when produced on digital screen displays was done at 1080p or similar...

For me, this is finally Cintiq taking note that there is a market for less pricey screen display tablets. A good step by Wacom - especially at $100 or so more than the Chinese alternatives.

Burgundy, thatcomicsguy and batty like this.
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

wow......interesting move on Wacoms end. The $650 Pricepoint it pretty nice for a 15.6 inch screen.....more then half off the Cintiq Pro 15.6 inch which is still retailing for $1499.

From what I can tell....the only significant differences is the HD display instead of UHD, a crappier color gamut......and most significantly......the $650 option is only a pen display......and does not have multitouch. I know this is technically Wacoms answer to creating an Affordable Cintiq.......but given how many pretty much every Windows based tablet, yoga, 2-in1, etc is rocking a touchscreen......it does seem a tad bit unfortunate they omited it.

I've been thinking of retiring my 21ux Cintiq since it doesn't really work well with current graphics cards like my 1080.....and it takes up so much space......Size wise the 16 Cintiq Pro is perfect......but the lack of expresskeys and the $1500 price point kept me away. Now $650 on the other hand......that is much more attractive price point. But the lack of a touch screen kind of devalues it for for me since between my Mobile Studio, Surface Pro, and Galaxy Book....multitouch and single touch have just become so instrumental in my workflow.....Thats also part of the reason why I don't use my 21ux as much since its my only non-touch device.

But still......an impressive move on Wacoms end.......maybe they'll be even more ambitious and stock these at Best Buy. I'd image this is also Wacom more or less baiting Intuos users to shift over into pen displays.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  3. doobiedoobiedum

Different stylus nibs too - I sent my Huion Kamvas Pro 13 back because it turned out too small and I was waiting on a Kamvas Pro 16. None of the alternatives give you different stylus nibs.....

Hmmmn......

4. darkmagistric

Wait.....are you trying to say the Cintiq Not Pro 16 uses different nibs? Its advertised as using the Pro Pen 2....that would be really odd choice if they made a new nib size specifically for this product, since the newer Pro Pen 2 nibs have only been around 2-ish years since the MSP debuted.

5. CreateNowSleepLater

CreateNowSleepLater Pen Pal - Newbie

If you guys have questions, line them up. I'll have a review on my channel soon. :)

For reference, I had the 16 Pro and the Pro 24. I also reviewed the Huion Kamvas 13 so I have a good idea what I'm looking for in this display.

I will already say that I don't see how it's using different nibs, same pen.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  6. doobiedoobiedum

The two reviews say it ships with the Pro Pen 2 and I checked and Wacom has different 10 pack stylus nibs available in the EU store for €9.90. In one video (can't find the section just yet I was sure the reviewer opened the case and found the stylus nibs shipped and I'm pretty sure I saw different nibs in the case?

Felt nibs 10 pack for Pro Pen 2

Standard nibs 10 pack for Pro Pen 2

7. darkmagistric

Both of those are indeed the correct nibs for the Pro Pen 2 (I've bought both those packs) If the new Cheap Cintiq is indeed using Pro Pen 2, they would have no reason to offer different nibs. I think you may be getting the Pro Pen 2 Nibs mixed up with the Old School nibs....which Prior to the release of the Mobile Studio Pro two years ago, Wacom was using those same nibs for everything for kind of forever, and likely they still sell them since they have a few products that still use the old school nibs like the 22HD Cintiq.

8. doobiedoobiedum

Probably!

I'm neither a Pro Pen 2 user myself nor do I have a Wacom 16 to check what is in the box.

9. Burgundy

Burgundy Scribbler - Standard Member

That new Wacom Cintiq 16, is quite the interesting product.

It may be a tactical nuke on the whole Alternative pen display market, as it's so closely priced, with the giant benefit of getting your hands on the pro pen 2 full features.

I am quite interested in this. Any ipad pro 12.9 user, who has tried it, or also thinking about getting this?

10. doobiedoobiedum

I think you have it absolutely correct but also it's about time. Wacom has stubbornly held prices super-high and ended up only in the hands of the wealthy or most dedicated few buyers. I don't know how much revenue they make from the Pro lines but there must be a recognition somewhere that the Chinese have made huge inroads and plenty of talented artists are using alternatives and making a living. The sales of cheaper Chinese alternatives must give Wacom the drive to try their own hand.

To me, nothing else would have pushed Wacom to do this. The most interesting thing is that they seem to have hit a huge home run with the Cintiq 16 - I watch a lot of Arron Blaise's videos and his review video has him waxing lyrical over the 16 - to the point he talks about this becoming his "go to" graphic display tablet.

I sent my Kamvas Pro 13 back because it was too small - I was going to wait for their 16" but this new Wacom has really made me think twice and I'll probably get this instead sometime. Right now, I can't justify it having just taken ownership of a zbook X2 (with Wacom screen)