Wacom bamboo tip

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dv8nathan, Jan 24, 2018.

1. dv8nathan

dv8nathan Pen Pal - Newbie

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Somewhat a bit curious as well.......At its most basic its just a fine tipped Capacitive Stylus, however I can't figure out what the battery itself does? Wacom's own product page for it flat out says in the FAQ that it does not have Bluetooth, does not have Palm Rejection, and it is not pressure sensitive. But It doesn't really matter much I guess since the pen is kind of worthless in all honestly.

3. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Interestingly at the end of the press release, there's this little tidbit:

"A switch at the top of the stylus also helps users fine tune performance by changing the frequency at which the stylus communicates with a device."

So it's still using RF to communicate something to the digitizer... :confused:

Some more press shots, at least the build quality looks to be better build than the Bamboo Ink Smart:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Frequency of the "electrostatic" field that comes out of the tip, like any other aes stylus. ;)
    Different touch panels work better with different frequencies.

5. dv8nathan

dv8nathan Pen Pal - Newbie

The feel pen can switch between ntrig and aes. Would it be possible to make one that is also switchable to emr?

6. Marty

Are you sure you can just mimic the Apple pencil protocol like that?

I was under the impression the Bluetooth connection activated two-way communication between the stylus and digitizer that was essential for the OS to register it as an active stylus in applications.

7. Azzart

@Marty what protocol? It's been ages since there has been "fine point" styluses for ipad that simply mimic the touch footprint of a finger using a projected electrostatic field. They where available even back when I used to use Procreate on the ipad 4 and they have always been crappy.
    They just make the touch grid think you're using a finger when in reality what's touching the screen is something much smaller.
    Problem is that different touch panels require different frequencies from the pen for the fake touch signal to be recognized properly: the reason why something that worked well on an iPad 4 didn't perform as well on an iPad air 2.
    This pen does just that: it can cycle through different frequencies so you can find the right one for your panel.

The principle is similar to how ntrig/wacom aes/apple pencil work: they all project a field from the pen tip to the touch grid thanks to their batteries. The difference is that in those technologies the sensors on the grid can discern between different frequencies to determine if it's a finger or the stylus (and what's the current pressure level + button pressed in case of ntrig/wacom).

8. Marty

I'm talking about the microprocessor found in the Apple Pencil (which I detailed in this post):

[​IMG]
    (red)
    ST Microelectronics STML151UCY6 Ultra-low-power 32-bit RISC ARM-based Cortex-M3 MCU​

Unlike typical AES pens, the Apple Pencil uses quite advanced signal processing on the stylus side, and (I thought) was not something that could be emulated just switching the frequency of the output.

The Bamboo Tip compatibility lists the IPP:
    • 9.7 inch iPad Pro
    • 10.5 inch iPad Pro
    • 12.9 inch iPad Pro (2nd generation)
    So I wonder how/if this pen is actually capable of being registered as an active stylus in iOS.

9. Azzart

It doesn't emulate the Pencil, as I said it emulates a finger! ;)

10. Marty

So it is not recognized as an active stylus by the OS? Why should it need an a "compatibility list" then?