Wacom Art Pen Compatibility

Discussion in 'Artists' started by kurt corbin, May 23, 2018.

1. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Pen Pal - Newbie

Wacom has this:

Compatible with:
    Intuos Pro, Intuos5 (all models), Intuos4 (all models), Cintiq 21UX (DTK2100), Cintiq 24HD, Cintiq 24HD touch, Cintiq 22HD, Cintiq 22HD touch, Cintiq 13HD, Cintiq Companion, and Cintiq Companion Hybrid.

https://us-store.wacom.com/Product/art-pen#/undefined2

Is that up to date? Isn't it compatible with the MSP? How about the Cintiq pro? How about EMR tablets from other companies?

2. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

works on my MSP and my cintiq 27. you only get 4000 levels pressure though, does not support 8000 pressure levels. have not tried it on other tablets

3. kurt corbin

I assume you had no luck with your Zbook. It will never work, no matter how they update the pen, right? The rotation has to be baked in to your Zbook panel, right? That's disappointing. But Wacom is crazy for not updating their compatibility info to include the MSP, etc. Don't they want to sell the thing?

4. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

Yes it will never work on cheaper emr panels.

It does work just fine on newer panels, but we are stuck with pro pen one specs until they release a art pen 2 supporting pro pen 2 specs . It would be nice , but I don't think they sell many. Wacom is kinda a mess like that . Even the color manager does not work anymore between regular cintiq and new MSP. It's rediculouse.

5. kurt corbin

Will rotation ever be possible with AES?

6. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

no idea!

7. kurt corbin

Here's another puzzle. Why are Wacom emr tablets the only ones that can detect rotation? When Wacom supplies their emr panels to Samsung or HP, do they somehow disable the rotation detection or do they just leave a piece of the hardware out? Or if they are just selling licenses, do they refuse to sell the one for rotation? Or do Samsung and HP just not want to pay their price?

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  8. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wacom is one step away from the Intellectual Property bugaboo which I don't think anybody has satisfactorily solved.

Making bicycles takes work and physical resources. You can understand easily while creating copies should be compensated for every copy. But for information... A digital photograph or a song, there is no work, no resources needed to iterate it.

And yet, and yet..!

With Wacom's extended features, rotation and cross-platform compatibility, the good drivers which don't subtly (deliberately) irritate the user, it's literally a matter of flipping a few digital switches in the driver software and firmware, because the hardware itself is essentially identical in every instance.

I was amazed one day to learn that my humble $15 Penabled stylus was capable of broadcasting tilt information to my Cintiq. It could do it the whole time! -Just not on my portable Tablet PC despite the hardware inside each machine being fundamentally the same.

Wacom has learned that nothing drives market value like scarcity, and in their case they have a digital "Make Scarce" slider bar affixed to some master control in their HQ.

And what temptation! Just slide it further toward the "More Scarce" side and bam, you make another hundred million yen.

Are they wrong in this?

And a deeper question...

Does it actually work in the big picture? The oil barons made it work; controlling society at every level to ensure the flow of wealth and resources into their own coffers. Even the pharmaceutical industry, I was amazed to learn, was created as an extension of the same oil industry, the same people, subverting our entire racial concept of what it means to be healthy in order to further lock down a maintained ownership of the human race by a small number of people.

But in the end.., is humanity increased or decreased as a result?

I don't know.

All I know is that my digital pen is being held not just by my hand, but also an invisible malevolent force which is squinting at me, ready to pull away my ability to draw the moment my guard drops and they cannot extract wealth from my being.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018