Wacom Art pen Barrel rotation demo....

Discussion in 'Artists' started by DaniJoy, Nov 25, 2015.

1. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

@Marty @michaelws here the long overdue video showing the art pen rotation in action. I had a hard time getting good screen capture quality while painting (some of the paintings below i thought were being recorded but the software i was using crashed. finally got it figured out for future videos). Screen capture, really kills the performance. im still learning how to make video.

The following thumbs are paintings done using the rotation- it provides edge control just like a real brush. And more experimental features. Most of these are just half hour speed paintings, with no thumb-nailing or composition studies done before hand. Just straight out of my mind. i have not had time to do a really nice painting due to my school schedule :-(

speedpaint.jpg fun.jpg speedpaint1.jpg da4_underground_lowerrez.jpg da3_1_paintover_lowerrez.jpg

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    Marty likes this.
  2. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wow, thanks DaniJoy for that brief look at your painting technique! Those are really awesome concept pieces!

Would it be safe to say that the rotation feature is something you use to add more natural variation to 'bristle-type' brushes (that would be difficult with just pressure)?

What about for tilt? How do you incorporate that into your workflow? Sorry to ask for more info, as I know taking a video seems hard :p. Might I recommend another screen capture software, FSCapture? It's relatively light on resources, so hopefully will help with frame rate.

The other option is maybe take a cellphone video of how you maneuver the pen during different brush strokes. Just a short clip would be really helpful in seeing how your subtle changes hand positioning affect the qualities of the stroke.

3. DaniJoy

DaniJoy www.danijoy.com

yes that safe to say. for me its also about edge control for quickness. being able to rotate the brush like a real brush gives more control.

Rotation usually takes over tilt and makes it pointless. (at least in photoshop) you can only have one at a time. not sure about painter. I was just playing around with painter a bit. the pencils work just like the ipadpro. maybe a little better IMO, i have some glitchy pressure issues with the IPP. it effects the tilt too.

thanks for the tip about the FScapture. if i have any more trouble im deleting the one i paid for. i dont have a cell phone but i do have a DSLR that im going to use for more video stuff. good idea!
    ill post here when i get around to that video!