Wacom Announcment Coming Soon?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by darkmagistric, Sep 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

lol.....Thats rather unfortunately Ironic.........those EMR pens with the loose clicky nibs are more prone to have that lower initial activation force trick. Since the nib is so loose.....it recedes into the pen barrel easier which requires less pressue....which trigers the IAF earlier. There are some exceptions to this, but from my experience those loose clicky pens are the ones that work the best. The included Pen on my old Lenovo x61t....had an extremely loose nib.....it equated to a almost Cinitq Level of IAF.

He meant Professional for Artists. The DTU Display Tablets are meant more for Corporate Business that require Pen usage for heavy annotating or signing....but that market wouldn't appreciate or even need all the bells and whistles the artist crowd does. Hence why they market those products separate from the Cintiqs. However a Surface Pro Styled Cintiq Companion 3 would have more appeal to an Artist since the normal business crowd would be probably content with just a Surface Pro.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    siddhartth likes this.
  2. darkmagistric

Provided they don't change the nib assembly. That last gen of EMR pens used slightly smaller nibs then previous ones which broke Nib Compatibility....and given the precedent of the super tiny nib Wacom devised for the Note 7....while it may not be likely.....I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Wacom experimenting with different Nibs for its next gen of products.

siddhartth likes this.
  3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ok that's true...there even was a one-off tip assembly for the original Surface Pro pen.

But I've yet to see Wacom introduce these special designs for DTK-based products (ie. Intuos/Cintiq) in the last 10 years, the sole exception being the Art Pen.

However, as you said, there's the possibility of a pen redesign to go along with the new EMR digitizers.

If they do so, I hope they'll make a slim DTK pen the standard going forward, as the current Grip Pen design is just obnoxiously large imo.

siddhartth likes this.
  4. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Can NTrig ever achieve Wacom cintiq levels of ultra low IAF?
    I do not think wacom will ever make a consumer grade cintiq because that will eat into the market share of the professional cintiqs.
    I am sorry to bring it up again but i am still confused how does pencil leaves ink without even engaging pressure coils. I have 2 oft repeated guesses. But i think you can shed more light on it.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  5. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

YVerloc likes this.
  6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Oh. My. God.

They built it. They actually built it.

A 15.6" EMR thing of beauty.

I wonder if my griping and general crotchety huffing and puffing for the last five years or so filtered up through the muck and had something to do with this being brought into the world?

Heh. Who am I kidding? Of course not.

But it does leave one question...

Where in the world am I going to find $2500 USD???

stoneseeker, Marty and WillAdams like this.
  7. kruzilla

kruzilla Scribbler - Standard Member

:vbeek: Woah. I sense a tax write off in my future.

stoneseeker likes this.
  8. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Have any organs you'd like to spare? ;-)

9. darkmagistric

wow......they actually took the Pressure Levels way way way farther then I ever thought they would. 8192 Levels is ridiculous.

However.....a few things here do trouble me.......

1. No mention of Cintiq Connect Mode at all........Is that gone? There is a mention of a Mini Display Port on an optional "Wacom Link" not sure what that is. It laters says PC & Mac optional Wacom Link with USC Type C. So it sounds like this optional Wacom link is the new Cintiq Connect Mode and it works over "Hopefully" a single USB C port......as opposed to the current HDMI & USB combo. While this sounds better from a port perspective....I don't like it now being an "Optional" accessory....another thing to pay for.
    2. It still has a detachable 3-angle stand (so mostly likely the same crummy stand)
    3. They retained the 16:9 aspect ratio
    4. 3D Camera only available on the 512GB SSD Models (the most expensive configs)
    5. The 13 is 16mm thick...and the 15 is 19mm thick - (the CC2 was 15mm thick)
    6. Despite mentioning a high brightness panel....the Brightness is only listed as 150cd/m2......which is really really low (Same as CC2)
    7. Contrast Ratio is also quite low, 800:1 (Same as CC2)
    8. The NVIDIA Quadro & 4k is only available on the 15 incher.....the 13 is stuck with Iris.
    9. No slimmer bezel design......so much like the CC1 & CC2....carrying around the 15inch would feel more like schlepping around a 17-inch device.
    10. No actual Core models specified yet....so unknown if they are using ULV, LV, or Fuller Voltage Cores.

Honestly this is kind of really disappointing for me. My hope was that they would aim to make the Cintiq Companion line more portable and Surface Pro like......and it seems like they went in the complete opposite direction of that......(Unless they still have a Non-Pro Mobile Studio to unveil). As is....aside from the Ridiculous jump in Pressure, Larger Screen Size & Graphics option, and reworking of Cintiq Connect mode now working via USB C....there really isn't anything ground breaking enough for CC2 owners to upgrade for.

10. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

And remember to add the "Canada tax", which for us, works out to be about $1000 CAD for anything Cintiq related...:mad:...:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.