Wacom Announcment Coming Soon?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by darkmagistric, Sep 30, 2016.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Wacom Facebook Pages are updating with hints at an upcoming announcement, or something happening on Wednesday October 5th.

The second image's hint of "Why so sensitive?" seems an obvious clue that they will be following along with the Note 5/Gen 13 and doing a Pressure Bump to 4096.

So I'm guessing it might be an update to their whole line....Since all they're current products have been the same DTK 2048 level digitizer from 2009. This could potentially bring a refresh to the entire Cintiq/Intuos Line...the biggest refresh in quite a while.

Or perhaps they may unveil the Gen 13 Pens to combat the Apple Pencil?

The timing is also the day before New York City Comic Con....where Wacom always has a booth every year.

I'm holding out hope that if they do unveil new products, they'll have them ready for Demo at NYCC.....too much of a pipe dream?

Attached Files:

2. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Is anyone near NYC or planning to attend the Comic Con this year?

I would love to hear some actual communication from Wacom product reps on their plans for new devices.

A Cintiq Companion 3 is long overdue (lets hope they can pull a leap in form-factor like the SP3 did). If they release a new 3:2 tablet with slimmer-bezeled 14" display, I'll be back on the Wacom hype train... :D

3. darkmagistric

I will be attending both Saturday and Sunday....hence why I'm hoping they have whatever they unveil on demo there.

However....last year....Wacoms booth was like Split between Wacom & Autodesk......Its was pretty much just Sketchbook Pro on everything and almost everyone at the booth was technically an Autodesk rep. There allegedly was a single Wacom rep there...but I never saw him. However if they do unveil new products I'd hope they would have more of their reps on hand.

Marty likes this.
  4. Marty

I haven't been to many comic cons (up here in Canada they don't have as many), but the ones I did go to in Toronto and Calgary always had a large artist signing and promotion area.

It was really cool talking with some lesser known indie artists!

If Wacom has a presence at these events, I wonder why they don't team up with an artist and cross-promote!

Man, some live drawing demonstrations would build some serious hype for the comic, any new Wacom products, and also for tablet PC art use in general! :vbbiggrin:

5. darkmagistric

My impression was they rather the Comic Con attendees use their equipment.....in hopes they'll buy one (Although they don't actually sell any products at the con)

A few years back though....one of my favorite comic artists Stjepan Sejic did a live demo at comic con. He was the head artist on Witchblade for many years and he digitally painted all his work in Photoshop CS3 using a Lenovo x61 Tablet PC. (Now he uses a Cintiq 13HD which he hates). However it was purely his demo....Wacom had no say or affiliation with him doing the Demo. He's actually going to be at this years NYCC comic con as well....but in the Artist Alley.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  6. Marty

Nice! Sejic is a legend, man!

I love his work on the new He-man and She-ra series...and I'm totally revealing my geekiness tenfold here. :vboops:

(Yes, watched the cartoons back in the day...way better than the pansy ass stuff they show now. :vbwink:)

I swear whenever an artist does a live demo it gathers the crowds like mad. It's mesmerizing really...Wacom doesn't know what it's missing!

Hey, maybe you should make a deal with the Wacom reps: they give you a free CC3 and you work the demo booth and wow the audiences for duration of the fair. :vbbiggrin:

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  7. kruzilla

kruzilla Scribbler - Standard Member

Wacom was supposed to come give a demo of new products at my company last week but the rep cancelled last-minute. From what my creative director told me the rep was going to be showing the CC3. Hopefully, that's one of the new announcements this week.

8. darkmagistric

Well....some news

I posted a comment about the 2nd pic in Wacoms Europes Facebook Page

"I'm assuming their hinting at the upping of Pressure levels to 4096....which is purely a marketing gimmick honestly. the initial activation force, pressure curve, and the physical tip assembly in the pen really dictate how the pressure activates and goes down. There wouldnt be any direct decernable difference from the current standard of 2048. If anything I'm hoping this is more hinting towards an update of the upcoming Gen 13 AES pens for Tablet PCs."

They privately responded to me

"That's not what we're hinting at, but thanks for guessing."

Not sure if they were replying to my first comment about upping the pressure to 4096....or for my hope of some update on the AES Pens. I'm assuming the later.

Marty likes this.
  9. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member

I wish that announcement was coming from Microsoft.

Every body says that Wacom AES gen13 will be compatible with NTrig digitizer. But how much compatible? Wacom pens will collect data as diligently as they can but it's on the digitizer of Microsoft to digitize those signals. Will Ntrig too scan at 240 Hz? and be as sensitive as Apple pencil?
    I am hoping that surface pen closes the gap with Apple pencil but keeps it's rupper tipped better Nibs.
    I really hate how shallow Wacom AES Nibs look. Wacom AES will be in 3rd party devices and not in the surface line. Third party machines are not that tightly integrated and often have bloatware.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  10. Marty

Man, Wacom sure loves to tease don't they?