Wacom AES?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by jbomb, Apr 17, 2017.

1. jbomb

jbomb Scribbler - Standard Member

It's 2017 now and it seems that for the most part there's n-trig and Wacom AES. There are a few Wacom EMR, but those are fading away. I've owned Wacom EMR devices (an old Toshiba Portege, and 2 other Fujitsus and even a Samsung 12 note).

I recently tried an N-Trig and was a bit disappointed. I know I'll have to get used to more pressure sensitivity, but there was a wobble if you draw slow. Also, There was a lag on the machine I was using (HP 360x Spectre) and the last thing that made me give up was it didn't always draw. I would start sketching and it would start drawing after I've put a few lines down. I don't know if these are common N-Trig issues, and perhaps this could be solved with a Surface Pen and other nibs.

I've seen people explain AES and EMR and N-Trig. I was wondering if I could get more info on the issues, especially with AES. You can try out N-Trig in a lot of stores, but it's harder to find AES and even harder to get a hold of the Wacom studio Pro.

So at the least, Which is a better Technology so far. AES or n-trig?

2. Io-T

Io-T Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a Yoga 14 (Wacom AES) and a Samsung ativ 700t (Wacom EMR), and I have never tried a n-trig device I felt was worth getting. When looking for a tankier machine to handle animation since the ATIV was starting to choke on animations with several layers I did try the newer surfaces and just could not get the pen to feel comfortable. Slow strokes for inking linework everything just kind of fell apart. The AES feels way, way better to me than the N-trig, which is why I got the yoga, but still doesn't feel quite as responsive as the older EMR. I have grown to like the extra edge accuracy though.

3. jbomb

Yeah, I went to the Microsoft store. There was one AES device. Still they don't have too many apps to truly test. I did notice that the quality of the pen nibs impacted the drawing. The Surface Studio had basically no wobble. I didn't like the AES. I couldn't really tell in that situation if it was good enough. it actually wobbled during slow drawing too. Man, I don't want to move away from EMR. The Parallax never really bothered me. I guess the Wacom Studio pro is EMR (correct me if I'm wrong). But it seems that even Fujitsu is moving away from EMR since the T927 (I think, please correct me). What are other options for new computers with some horsepower?

WillAdams likes this.
  4. jiyu711

jiyu711 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi jbomb, while u still want to stay with Wacom EMR, I recommend the Samsung laptop series such as notebook 9 pro, which integrates EMR digitizer with 4096 levels of pressure sensitivity and supports tilt recognition at the same time. BTW, Samsung is the most important shareholder of Wacom so only Samsung can use EMR with the up-to-date features.

WillAdams likes this.
  5. jbomb

Thanks... just heard about the 15". I so want this. I also have to upgrade it since it only has 256gb ssd space. the type of drive is a bit more $ so I have to shop around.

6. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Samsung Galaxy Book for the win.

Ditching AES for EMR made my buying mine justifiable.