Wacom AES: New pens on older digitizers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Starlight5, Dec 25, 2017.

1. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

There are lots of new AES pens with 4K pressure levels available right now. How do they perform on devices which originally came with 2K pressure pens? Can one of these pens bring improvement in IAF, or new features like tilt support?

2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

They perform well but they don't add any features.

Starlight5 likes this.
  3. Starlight5

Where can I read about different Wacom pen & digitizer hardware generations, their capabilities and features?

4. Starlight5

Here it's written that Bamboo Ink not only has better IAF, but also improves on pressure sensitivity levels even on devices with older AES digitizers. Is it martketing bullsh1t, or can Bamboo Ink indeed deliver 4096 pressure levels on AES devices that initially came with 2048 pressure levels pens?

5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Marketing Bull....Pen digitizers....(either AES or EMR) work in Tandum between the pen and the digitizer in the tablet itself. If the Tablets Digitizer/Controller Chip was only designed for 1024 levels of Pressure....that's all it would ever be able to register regardless of the pen.

The only exception to that.....is if they released a Digitizer.....specifically held back in specs and performance.....that could be unlocked to full potential via a firmware or driver update at a later date. Some of us held a theory that Microsoft did this with the Surface Studio....since it was released prior to the superior (in spec anyway) pen that launched with the nSP. (though I can't remember if this was ever actually proven). For a long time this was the case with Tablet PC grade EMR which used a UD Wacom Digitizer. It was actually capable of 512 levels of Pressure....but was deliberately held back to 256 levels (one excuse was to preserve Battery Life). The Axitron Modbook used the same digitizer but they had Wacom custom write them the firmware that gave the device 512 levels.

That been said.....I highly doubt you would be able to feel or notice any difference between a 2048 Level Pen and a 4096 Level Pen. Especially when you factor in the super low IAF on the ink pen.

Starlight5 likes this.
  6. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

You should use the Bamboo Ink simply because it's more comfortable to hold, that's pretty much it.

Microsoft, Wacom, and Intel have been promising GPU-accelerated frame-synced inking for a year or so now, that should make a big difference from 3-4 frames of delay when inking to 1-2 frames of delay when inking. Other than that there's only polling rate and tilt left. Microsoft's tilt sucks I hear. Anybody know the polling rate of Microsoft or Wacom AES digitizers? As for pressure levels, I don't think the average person could use the difference between 1000 and 4000 levels of force between 1 and 100 gram-force, even if they could feel each sub-0.025 gram increment.

WillAdams and Starlight5 like this.