Wacom AES caught up to Apple pencil? HP rechargeable pen supports 240 Hz report rate and tilt

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ATIVQ, Oct 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Well assuming your now speaking of the cursor delay on AES that Shog mentioned in his last post, I did a video in 2014 showing how bad it was then:

It's arguably improved a bit from the Duo 13 era, but its still pretty noticeable to me on newest AES devices I've tried recently at Best Buy too. I honestly think it is a combination of factors that give it a different "feel" than EMR, ...the slight lag or "swimming" feeling of the cursor as you hover, the fraction-of-a-second hiccup when I put the pen down for the first stroke and the worse IAF that makes my strokes feel less connected to my hand. I only care when I'm painting or drawing really fast, and that is 90% of the time when I'm painting for work, painting at a ferocious speed... the feeling of disconnect on AES increases the faster you work I think, which I (probably wrongly) always attributed to lower polling rates. Shog has a very confident fast drafter drawing style as well, I think the impact is felt more on the artists that draw that way.

A girl I work with works at a much more meticulous pace, she is very talented, and she loves AES on her Vaio Canvas. She doesn't prefer it, she just doesn't notice the difference in any impactful way and she also has been used to EMR her whole career.

2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Well, that is jurassic. :D
    I tried just yesterday confronting the hover speed of the emr Galaxy Book 10.6 and the 15" Surface Book 2 and... If possible the SB2 is the faster of the 2.
    Both are like your T902.
    I can try recording a video if my girls collaborate.

stoneseeker likes this.
  3. Azzart

Here:

testplayer, stoneseeker and batty like this.
  4. stoneseeker

thanks! looks improved over mine for sure, but whats with the stutter/lag when you first brought the pen to the screen in the first 3 seconds? Was that a random anomaly?

5. Azzart

To be fair I have no clue.
    Filming black tips on black background wasn't exactly the smartest idea for the sake of clarity! :confused:

6. testplayer

testplayer Scribbler - Standard Member

Does this comparison only apply to drawing, or also apply to hovering (especially at a long enough hovering distance comparable to that of EMR)?

I have this concern because I'm an old-school-tech note-taker with a mindset and habit of using tablet PC formed and shaped in the late 90's and early 2000's, when pen is primarily used as a mouse replacement on Tablet PC for non digital-artists and touch was almost no-existence. If I need to click a button/tab/page in OneNote, the first choice in my mindset of using a Tablet PC is and always is hovering the pen to move the cursor to the exact location, while touch, although being the first choice in younger generation people's mindset to do the same job, is always a second-class citizen in my mindset when using Tablet PC. Even now I have separated my work flow to two devices (one 15.6 laptop/mobile workstation without digitizer but with no less than 32GB RAM for MATLAB/data science/CPU and memory intensive tasks, the other detachable and much smaller device with digitizer or ThingVistion LT1423p for writing mathematics in OneNote and drawing signature on documents), more than 30% of time when I use the pen is still using it as a mouse replacement. That's why hovering distance and hovering accuracy (not just drawing accuracy) is the most important thing to me, and I'm sad to see that nothing can beat EMR in this respect after almost two decades.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    batty likes this.
  7. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Bwa? They have a phone with pen support?? Definitely something for me to look into. My Note 4 has made it clear that I should probably start thinking about replacing it eventually. :C Not too hot on the Note 8, Note 5 is out due to lack of sd-card slot, and ugh... I'm too wedded to a phone with a pen.

I totally forgot Huawei had the Matebook. I was at a tech show a couple weeks back and I was super puzzled to see what looked like a proper pen digitizer for their Android tablets. I was only able to test for a couple minutes in some janky note app, but it wasn't too terrible. So that was AES, huh?

8. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

What's wrong with the Note 8?

It's one of the phones I'm thinking of upgrading to, being in a similar situation to yourself. ;)

9. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

It's so taaaaaallllllll. Also, I really hate to lose the removeable battery, but I think that's inevitable at this point. And the rounded screen edges, eeehhhh...

It's also $300+ on ebay right now, so I'll just get used to not having a rear camera for a year or so. No biggie :(

10. stoneseeker

My Note Edge is still going strong thanks to the removable battery I replaced recently, but I too am afraid there won't be an acceptable replacement in the future. Note 8 looks ok, but I agree its oddly tall, and the lack of removable battery is a game changer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.