Wacom AES caught up to Apple pencil? HP rechargeable pen supports 240 Hz report rate and tilt

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ATIVQ, Oct 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Interesting, I wonder how of a discount MS if giving for going WOA.

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

That's interesting question, It's probably similar to how MS use to give away free Windows license to OEMs that made 10.1" or smaller Windows tablets.

3. nurbs

nurbs Pen Pal - Newbie

This looks just like the pen in the ZBOOK x360 G5, except it is silver and not dark gray. And if you look at the specs on the last page, they said it is also now compatible with the ZBOOK x360 as well. Same pen?

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetDoc...clang=EN_US&searchquery=&cc=emea_africa&lc=en

4. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

5. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

6. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Well, I ordered the Lenovo Pen Pro last week, and it showed up last night. It's the AES 2.0 one. That meant a trip to Best Buy to explore it in action! Also, it's rechargable by the provided cord- a usb-c to usb-c cord. Booh! So, I also needed to buy a usb-A to usb- C cord. :p

In short- the pen is nice. The nib provided a bit of traction, and the two side buttons work well. I tried it on the Yoga 730, the Yoga c930, and the Thinkpad L380. It worked great on all of them, and all of them had tilt in the MS Sketchpad app. Very nice and responsive! Diagonal slow-line wobble was still an issue though. The digitizer, I'm assuming? It didn't work at all on any of the HP or Dell penabled laptops. I didn't go through the hassle of trying to switch it to MMP or whatever it is. Too bad for those companies. Haha.

Of course, it won't have tilt on my old Thinkpad 14, but I'm assuming it'll work on it generally speaking. I'm considering upgrading my laptop too, so hopefully I'm just testing the waters before full submersion. They're selling HD 730's with 8gb ram and 256 ssd for 729$. That's cheap as hell for a pretty damn good 15.6" laptop. Also, the L380 is a very nice little Thinkpad selling for cheap. Great typing action with a lot of travel and crisp bouncy actuation force. I wish it were 14 or 15.6". Everything else about it is more than enough for my needs. Pen input was nice on it.

7. Shogmaster

Talk about f'n up lol.

8. Shogmaster

Lenovo won't be making dual protocol pens AFAIK. It's AES 2,0 only. No MPP mode. That Dell AES 2.0 pen I have is dual protocol, which is why I guess they need to charge $100 instead of $60 for the Lenovo's. :(

9. nurbs

nurbs Pen Pal - Newbie

Nice, were the Wacom AES drivers already installed?

10. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I don’t know. How would I test that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.