Wacom AES caught up to Apple pencil? HP rechargeable pen supports 240 Hz report rate and tilt

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ATIVQ, Oct 5, 2018.

1. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

People are throwing around "infinity" but even analog circuits have the smallest discernible unit, usually measured in noise floor. The noise floor for Wacom EMR, judging from their 5080 LPI figure, is 50 times smaller than of what it takes to get their promised accuracy of ±0.25mm. Beyond that, the analog circuitry probably can't discern the location with accuracy. Analog interpolation happens with capacitive digitizers too, but EMR is "magic" probably because the signal is so clear.

WillAdams likes this.
  2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So apparently Lenovo's been using AES 2.0 on their laptops for a while now. Yoga 730 which IIRC came out during early summer has been AES 2.0 the whole time.

In fact, out of their current line up at my local Best Buy, only the Verizon version of Yoga C630 is using (wait for it) MPP! Wacky...

3. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Really doesn't make sense. I take the regular(non verizon) C639 us also MPP?

4. Shogmaster

They didn't have a normal C630 so I don't know...

BTW, I also know that Miix 630 (Windows on ARM) is also MPP. I think Lenovo uses MPP insetad of AES whenever they need to tweak the BOM to bring the cost under control.

I wonder what the actual cost of AES 1.0 vs 2.0 vs various MMP digitizers does cost the ODMs...

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  5. bloodycape

I would think MS might be giving a small incentive/discount for going MPP, cause why else would there be devices from HP, Lenovo, and others where one model has MPP, and the other model is Wacom AES. Thankfully, no more Synaptic though!

ATIVQ likes this.
  6. Shogmaster

Is MS actually giving discount on something that they don't manufacture? Remember that Elan is doing most of the MPP digitizer manufacturing for laptops out in the wild that is not MS Surface devices. MS owns NTrig and made it into a standard. They are effectively a IP holder for MPP, not manufacturer. Think ARM licensing out the designs and letting others actually make chips based on their core designs.

My bet is that Wacom being Wacom, is making AES digitizers themselves and charging ODMs premium for it. Remember when Elan made AES 1.0 compatible digitizer that was used by Lenovo for Miix 700? It never got Feel driver because it was not a Wacom made digitizer.

bloodycape and DRTigerlilly like this.
  7. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Shh please don't mention that name

bloodycape likes this.
  8. bloodycape

What happens? Does the CEO show up at my door with pen options asking what went wrong?

9. Shogmaster

So in the last month or so, Lenovo's driver pages for the AES 2,0 devices now have Wacom Feel driver listed! I checked Thinkpad X1 Extreme and Ideapad Yoga 730s. If you have been using AES 2.0 device with MS driver, Please please PLEASE download the Wacom Feel driver and use that instead. You can thank me later.

BTW, those drivers are listed as April 2018, even though only about a month ago, none of these devices had the Wacom driver in the list. I wonder if they just took that long to test the drivers internally...

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  10. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I wonder if they’ve enabled tilt now on the AES 2.0 devices, with this new driver update? Lenovo was one of the companies that was still missing that, yes?