Wacom AES caught up to Apple pencil? HP rechargeable pen supports 240 Hz report rate and tilt

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ATIVQ, Oct 5, 2018.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Heh.

Technically, with EMR, you only need 3 sensors to triangulate a position. That, plus a fast polling clock, ought to be enough for a working pen system. In theory, anyway.

My guess is that the reason you use lots of sensors is to reduce the power required to broadcast a meaningful signal beyond a few inches. The more sensors, the lower the power cost.

But then, the more sensors, the more complex your electronics need to be, and the more room for error if the sensor electronics are not manufactured to exacting specifications.

It has taken Wacom many years to perfect their system to the point where edge accuracy is high and the cursor is reliably under the nib at all points on the screen. The current EMR digitizer on my Samsung Notebook 9 Pro makes my old Penabled systems look drunk by comparison.

darkmagistric likes this.
  2. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Only for lack of trying. They were selling the exact same technology for decades and then when the competition heated up they finally decided to fix the major issues.

3. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's also a function of EMI and signal propagation and so forth --- it's a complex environment, and arguably each sensor grid needs to be tuned for the device it's placed in.

Shogmaster likes this.
  4. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Thank you @Shogmaster for the reporting. Yeah it really sounds like a menss. How does the pen compare to the Wacom dual protocol pen on Surface and AES devices?

5. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Dell pen didn't work at all on non AES 2.0 devices. On MPP devices the two felt exactly the same to me.

bloodycape likes this.
  6. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Thanks for the informative post, though I also thought (perhaps wrongly) modern EMR was 200Hz not 300Hz? Regardless, it sounds like the grid density is important and that makes a lot of sense. I just realized that Wacom actually markets the density in their specs for their top end cintiqs, its measured in lines per inch or LPI. So the new 24" Pro is 5080 LPI, am I correct in assuming that number is speaking to the density of the grid?

When I hold my T902 at certain angles I can see a grid on the screen but I assume this is the touch layer I am seeing, not the digitizer layer. But if we tore it open and looked at the digitizer itself is the grid something visible to the naked eye? I wonder if we can compare different generations of AES and EMR density this way, since I doubt anyone but Wacom releases the density of the digitizer in the specs.

7. Shogmaster

I think both UD and DTH both have similar physical grid density. The 500 vs 5000 lines per inch comes from different levels of interpolation in board firmware.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  8. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

So, IAF and feel then were pretty much the same?

9. Shogmaster

Yes. Except for better feeling side buttons and better build quality, they felt the same in action.

bloodycape likes this.
  10. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah. The grid itself is really low resolution...

[​IMG]

Looks like two or three dozen input points are used at most, but the magic of analog means you can divide "Infinity" into whatever usable number of digital gradations you need, (and which look impressive on your ad copy).