Wacom about to release a 10.6-inch Cintiq?

Discussion in 'Artists' started by kvoram, May 31, 2017.

1. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wow, thanks for the detailed answers, doobie!

This caused me to raise an eyebrow...

I always considered the root of traditional art to essentially be anatomy...you think of Michaelangelo and Da Vinci and the mastery of form. That's Art! (or am just being pretentious? :p)

Fascinating, so it looks like Apple isn't the first choice among new digital artists, at least until:

I find this outrageous...but not surprising. My friend who went to design school at Carnegie Mellon told me they basically made getting a Macbook Pro one of the course requirements. Seems a bit heavy-handed...(and an abuse of authority/student freedom?)

Congratulations! If you're getting the new Cintiq Pros (I'd recommend waiting for the new 24" model in January), those will absolute cream-of-the-crop in terms of pen experience.

Even many art professionals on this forum (myself included) haven't got chance to use one. Your students don't know how lucky they are! ;)

2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Even the famous FZD school of design in Singapore will make you a buy 15" macbook pro plus intuos tablet for their one year course.

You could get the top of the line mobilestudio pro for almost the same price.

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  3. Fluffyfurball

Fluffyfurball Scribbler - Standard Member

I personally can't stand toting more than one device around, so a laptop with a digitizer is a must. I tried a Cintiq 12WX attached to a MacBook Pro some time back: that did not last long.

So I am stuck with Windows. I think the mistake some Apple users make with regard to trying out Windows is that they go and try the cheapest Windows laptop they can find and then expect a wonderful experience. Good luck with that.

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Cheap isn't always bad....my $550-ish Galaxy Book has served me wonderfully......(so far...anyway). But as is I would have no problem recommending it to a Mac Artist looking to switch OS's.

But now back to the main topic of this thread.......Given Wacom unveiled the Mobile Studio Pro this time last year....and then rushed to have it ready for demo at NYC Comic Con........with NYCC being literally next weekend....I'm somewhat curious to see if Wacom will give us a suprise annoucment this week, or completely just suprise us at ComicCon. If anything.....if they don't have a 10.6 inch Cintiq Mini....or the larger 30+ Inch Cintiqs....or a MSP2.......Wacom won't have any significant new products this year from last year.....aside from the 13/16 sized Cintiqs....which were kind of boring and still functionally crippled due to the lack of a proper stand.

Wacoms works in mysterious ways....but NYCC would be the most perfect place to debut a new product. Last year with the MSP.....their booth was packed....and that was with a $1500+ device.....most of the people who played with it probably wanted it but couldn't afford it. If they had a $500 range Cintiq mini good to go.....they would sell like crazy.

5. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member

I believe the same, I've always felt American schools teach certain basics more than our schools do. I don't wish to insult modern art or digress but some things can seem easier for young minds to do and get a positive reaction from than others.
    Study and drawing anatomy and human form demands focus and rigour - without insulting the arts youth of the UK - most are not suited or patient enough.
    One thing that makes my job a whole lot harder the last few years is that many school teachers are simply getting kids to copy images off the web. Going from that to drawing a living breathing and moving (models can't stay still too long) 3D subject in front of you is almost impossible for kids who don't have patience to do the hard grunt work.

Sorry, you may have misread me - we may only be getting Chinese Cintiq like- drawing monitors and even then - the head of IT can't guarantee that purchase will go through. There's a lot of demand from other departments for more no-name pcs and laptops for a range of classes.

Marty likes this.
  6. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You can say it. Post-modernist art is bulls$% :p

No but really, you know Michaelangelo had to drag his own marble from the quarry (risking his own life in the process)?

And that was just to get started! Artists today have it good!

Oh, had to hang my head a bit, I was so excited. Still the Chinese tablets are not bad at all. Make sure to ask for recommendations on this forum. Many of us may have useful purchasing advice. ;)

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  7. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member

Hehe. Was my diplomacy so see-through?

Thanks, I've been researching the new Artisul d16 or the XP-Pen 19 inch - but for my personal purchase. The other option only discovered tonight however as I have a MacBook Pro is to look at an iPad Pro and a program called Astropad.

Marty likes this.
  8. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

Gavin Kearney has a bit to say on that subject.

9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just got back from a long day at NYC Comic Con

Nothing new at the Wacom booth.

Just MSP 13/16, Cintiq 13/16 Pro, 27QHD, and a few intuos tablets.

I asked first about the 32+ Inch beast coming out.....the Wacom rep said it won't be out till 1st quarter at the earliest, but it wasn't anywhere near ready....like not even at the functional (Demo-able) prototype stage like the MSP's they got for NYCC last year.....

I then asked about the long overdue MSP/Cintiq Pro Stand.....to which .....he completely agreed that it sucks they couldn't get one out. I had heard some rumors that the Stand was finally ready for an October 2017 release......if that is the case.....the Rep sure as heck didn't have any idea. And they sure as heck didn't have the stand at Comic Con. He even outright recommended that I just get one of the origami/flipsteady cases.

My next question was about the 10-incher.......I asked if there would be different sizes along side the 32 incher....I even said like a 10.6 Mini Cintiq or something.....he said as far as he was aware, they have no plans for anything under 13inches. So no confirmation on that front from the rep.

And lastly....I commented on how it stinks the Cintiq Pros don't have express keys anymore......to which he said that I should opt for the express key remote. To which I brought up my main grievance for it.....its Wireless USB Type A......so to use it with my MSP or even my Galaxy Book, I would need to connect it to an annoying dongle. My main issue with the remote is that its not outright bluetooth, and the tiny USB receiver is annoyingly easy to loose or misplace. The rep actually explained to me the reason exactly why its not Bluetooth. For Wacoms bigger clients.....like Disney or other Animation houses......apparently they must have done a trial run of a Bluetooth Remote before they officially released it.......and in offices and Studios where there were alot of Cintiqs.....all those Bluetooth signals created alot of problems apparently. Like if there are 20 Cintiqs and 20 remotes all being used at the same time in a single room....pairing became a nightmare. So thats the reason why we have the Wireless USB Remotes.

neongolden likes this.