Wacom about to release a 10.6-inch Cintiq?

Discussion in 'Artists' started by kvoram, May 31, 2017.

1. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wow, thanks @darkmagistric. Lot's of insights here.

Would it be fair to conclude from your observations of the young generation of creatives, that:

1) Digitial artists are still in the minority (~10%?) vs traditional artists. (That really is mind boggling... :confused:)

2) Within the digital artists, they overwhelmingly prefer Apple (~80%?), despite any advantages offered in form-factor or software by Tablet PCs.

And perhaps most speculatively, I'd like to delve into your last remark:

How much of a force is peer pressure, in driving the sentiment of "Windows is horrible" and "Apple is just better"?

Remember, we aren't talking among general Mac users, but the (at least moderately) knowledgeable techie-hipster crowd.

You're saying that even if they did a rational cost-benefit analysis and decided a Tablet PC was better, they would still choose an Apple Mac/iPad for fear of marking themselves in-group.

Man is the young artist culture really that oppressive?... :(

2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Knowledgeable and Mac users in the same sentence? Seriously?!?

I just sent my Cintiq Companion to an iMac user who just tried and failed to search and install a pirated version of Clip Studio on it and blamed Windows for being unable to do so...
    Mind me, I don't intend to promote piracy, it's been years since I started buying or renting any software I want to use and happy to do so, but if I ever wanted I could find and install a cracked Clip Studio in no time: it's just THAT easy.
    Only a Mac user can find this operation difficult considering these kind of things comes with instructions. -.-

3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Like they have convinced themselves they can't do math, many of these artistic users are convinced that MacOS is the only OS that they will ever understand. They don't dare step out of their comfort zone. In my experience, MacOS is just as complex to master as Windows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

COGBABY likes this.
  4. harrodeleted

harrodeleted Pen Pal - Newbie

I've worked exclusively on Macs for years, but the galaxy book convinced me to try windows.

Thoughts: windows has improved immensely from the last time I used it (windows ME). It's functional and once I'm in Opera, or clip studio, or whatever I completely forget about the operating system.

That being said- Mac still has the superior user experience. It's the small things that all pile up. Less tiny glitches, more unified OS UI, my settings didn't randomly revert, there weren't random updates, navigation is way more pleasant (this one is subjective), the search worked so much better on mac, as did quick previews, and it all "just worked".

On windows I've had to do reg edits, change so many user settings, installed multiple third party programs, and disabled and uninstalled so many pre-installed programs that kept using cpu, ram, and data.

But- the computer does function great now, it doesn't get in the way of my work- and *most importantly* has built in pen support.

I really can't fault people for staying with mac- but if you need a certain piece of hardware and apple doesn't produce it- then you're going to have to look elsewhere.

doobiedoobiedum and WillAdams like this.
  5. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

A lot of those tiny glitches are due to operator unfamiliarity with the environment. They happened to me all the time when I had my dalliance with MacOS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ok wait, wait people, I really meant it when I said "at least moderately knowledgeable". There are many Mac users who understand the concepts of CPU/Memory/Disk, what a file system is, and even how to go into settings to modify subtle aspect of OS behavior.

I'm saying among this group of people (who should be able to see past the reality distortion field) and are not intimidated by a new OS (or already have familiarity with Windows):

Given the choice between two equally specced, well-built devices (with the Apple costing significantly more, or coming with significant mobile OS limitations) are they motivated to buy Apple not based on technology, but peer pressure?

7. COGBABY

COGBABY Pen Pal - Newbie

I was with the Mac since the mid eighties, then switched to Windows when the Cintiq Companion came out.

To me it was no big deal. Like a lot of tablet users, I was quite happy with Windows 8 and of course Windows 10 is a big improvement. It doesn't get in my way at all.

Now I'm tempted to go iPad Pro plus a desktop PC. But the brands don't mean much to me.

A lot of designers I know, particularly, are attached to the Apple brand and are quite ignorant about tech. It's frustrating in a way because Apple has neglected macOS creative pros for so long and yet is still able to command their loyalty.

As for a 10.6 inch Cintiq, it would be great if it was *not* 16:9 ratio and more like iPad dimensions.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  8. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My guess is that it's DTH frequency pen version of DTU-1141.

Expect 10.6" 1920x1080 IPS panel with DTH digitizer and pen. Since DTU-1141 is around $600, This thing would be about the same.

https://us-store.wacom.com/Catalog/Business-solutions/pen-displays/DTU1141#/undefined1
    https://www.cnet.com/products/wacom-dtu-1141-digitizer-usb-gray-dark/specs/

And since Apple dropped the ball by not allowing the new iPad Pro to have Thunderbolt capable Lightening ports, this might sell to Mac owners well.

YVerloc and Marty like this.
  9. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I feel like in the more casual/hobbyist digital artist spheres, Mac is still dominant in the way you describe for many reasons... brand loyalty and OS familiarity being pretty big factors.

But in my experience, the majority in my field (film and animation: all aspects of content creation... concept art and design, animation, FX, compositing, even boarding) still use PC/Windows to get the job done. However I notice a lot more flexibility in approach too...
    ie. -A character design friend who owns a Vaio Canvas and loves it for photoshop large paintings on the go, but is still purchasing a Ipad pro for more light sketching and media stuff. -Another who has an iMac at home for most design work but wants a surface pro for painting on the go.
    -A 3D prop builder who strictly uses windows only.
    etc.

However, regarding just content creation on the go (tabletPC's vs mac pro vs. ipad), I have met way more people in my field who either have or want a Wacom mobile studio pro (or CC2). It seems that one tabletPC has made a fairly decent dent in the marketing to creatives, mostly because Wacom is such a familiar brand in our field I assume. Many are aware of the Surface Book and pro as well, but the Wacom MSP and CC2 really caught more attention and wallets in my experience.

Marty likes this.
  10. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member

I use both at work. The same version of Photoshop still starts up faster on a Mac compared to a similar PC device, colour handling and proofing for print and production in the creative sphere is still heavily Mac dominated. Photographers are still by and large Mac based - not because of peer pressure but because of the simple concept the colours you see on screen are what comes out of the printer. You have to buy an expensive colour calibration device to get similar results with your PC - though that has improved somewhat in Windows in recent years - the historical drag to bring Windows up to the same functionality has convinced many never to try PCs.

On another level, most of the tattooists I know (yes, I count them as creatives too) are heavily iPad Pro based, many create their design work on iPad Pro and some PC people who now also have iPad Pros love the fact you can turn your Apple tablet on and off like a lightbulb

That said, yeah I use Windows tabletPCs and love them. Just a shame threads like this can degrade to insulting "the other side."
    At the end of the day, creatives use what works best in their file and what fits their industry pipeline.

WillAdams likes this.