Wacom about to release a 10.6-inch Cintiq?

Discussion in 'Artists' started by kvoram, May 31, 2017.

1. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Another new Wacom "LCD Tablet" appeared at the FCC, with the model no. DTH-1152

The public documents do not give away any details, it is only called an "LCD Tablet", but the "DTH" part of the model no. indicates this belongs to the Cintiq product line. The first two digits usually indicate the rounded-up/down screen size, so I suspect this to have a 10.6 inch screen, since they are likely sticking with the 16:9 ratio.

The label shows a max. power input of 12 V/ 3 A, appropriately lower from the 20 V/ 2.25 A of the 13" and 16" Cintiq Pro. Since USB-PD also supports 12V, I expect this to come again with USB-C ports.

One document does mention some battery but that seems to be a remnant of an earlier FCC filing for the business-aimed screen-less Wacom Clipboard (PHU-111). The DTH-1152 is likely not battery-powered.

Source: https://fccid.io/HV4DTH1152

If this really turns out to be a ~11" inch Cintiq, would anyone be interested here?

Marty and surfaceproartist like this.
  2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

The 13.3" display is already too small for many tasks, I can't imagine a 11" display used for the same purposes...

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not for me, but I'm sure they would definitely be a market for a 10.6 inch....Single USB (or Battery) powered Cintiq for around $500.....pop those in the Mac section of a Best Buy and I'm sure Wacom would sell alot. I just hope they don't give it those enormous empty bezels they gave the 13 & 16 Pro Cintiqs and the 27. Nothing would be sadder then to see a device with a 10.6 screen that can easily fit a 13 incher or bigger .

They already have a 10.1 inch Cintiq Like device for their Business Oriented DTU Line. Low res, but Single USB Powered, 4 express keys, and 1024 levels of Pressure....and some of Wacoms Chinese copycats have put out 10.1 inch sized Cintiq Ripoffs....so it is possible Wacom might entertain putting out a 10.6 Cintiq.

Or here's another idea....what if it ends up being a cheaper Mobile Studio Pro? The Biggest sales drawbacks to the Mobile Studio Pro and Cintiq Companion sales have always been the high price tag and its general rarity to see in physical stores. Taking a cue from Samsung with its Galaxy Book 10.6.....what if Wacom decides to put out a 10.6/Core M based "Mobile Studio" not Pro...with a more attractive $500-$800 price tag.....that would perfectly fit on the Best Buy Floor.

kvoram likes this.
  4. YVerloc

YVerloc Pen Pal - Newbie

I would totally be interested...,if i were two feet tall.

Koryand'R and kvoram like this.
  5. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No chance for it being an actual computer, as it does not have either Bluetooth or Wi-Fi according to the listing.

A non-pro Mobile Studio might be a nice idea, but I doubt Wacom would price such a thing competitively.

6. Komatsu

Komatsu Pen Pal - Newbie

There is a few of these 10 inch type of cintiq devices that are chinese made that run on just usb. you can get them under 400 usd usually. Feedback on them has been getting better because I believe at first the screens were not ips so there was issues if you were not looking at it straight on. I'm pretty sure you can get them with ips panels now that people have complained about the older models. Most of the feedback I have seen is usually about the screen quality not the size surprisingly enough. It is possible to power these with normal usb so if wacom opts for usb c they will just end up with a more expensive product that less people can use.

7. darkmagistric

Given the Mac stranglehold on the creative market still.....and given how nearly all of Apples Current products are USB-C.....I'd imagine Wacom couldn't care less for all non-USB-C users.

8. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hey dark, I've got a few questions regarding the Apple stranglehold over the 'hipster landscape' that you have observed:

1) Before the iPad Pro, did artists really prefer schlepping a Macbook + Cintiq over over getting say a Surface Pro? (Did they hate Windows that much to endure a cumbersome setup, or were they just never exposed to Surfaces or other 2-in-1 PCs?)

2) After iPad Pro, was there an explosion of artists switching to the lighter form factor? Are most artists satisfied with within the limitations of iOS, or do they go back to PS on their Macs to finish their illustrations?

3) Would you say Microsoft had any impact whatsoever on the hipster market after 5 years of advertising? Is their attempt at usurping the MacBook with Laptop doomed to fail in your opinion?

Thanks, and it's always so interesting to hear your analysis on this subject. ;)

9. darkmagistric

1. They just hate windows that much…..I’ve gone to a lot of drawing classes and art events in the NYC area…Prior to the age of Ipad/Surface Pros…..while I have seen a few other Tablet PC users over the years….most who dabbled in Digital Art would Work with their Intuos or Cintiq connected to a Mac at their Studio or Home. Like with except for maybe 1 or 2 Surface Pro 3 users…..I don’t think any Mac Artist I’ve encountered really got seduced by the Windows side of the force.And even then their use of the Surface could have been a fluke and they are probably back on a Mac today.

2. I will say…while I don’t think the iPad Pro/Pencil has “Caught on” as much as Apple would like…..the quick adoption of it……in the 2-year span since its release has been far more prevalent then any Tablet PC. Just from drawing classes in the past year….I’ve seen 7 iPad Pros (mostly the 9.7 size)….not all at the same time….but 7 different Artists using the iPad Pro/Pencil. (not including my own)…..7 might not seem like a high number….but usually I’m the only digital dude drawing….I’ve seen like 3 or 4 Surface 3/Pro3…..1 Surface Pro 4…..and that’s really it in recent years. Like I’ve never seen anyone pull out a Surface Pro 1 or 2, A Cinitq Companion or any AES tablet PC in a long while. Or even Galaxy Notes…..despite Samsung’s best attempt to bring the Pen to the highlight…..I’ve never seen a Samsung device or Galaxy Note Tablet used for Art. Like I would be shocked to see anyone pull out a Galaxy Book in the next year.….. Even before the current Pro/Pencil Gen…..I still saw more Ipads with Capacitive Foam Stylus then I ever did Tablet PCs. A lot of it comes down to big name recognition…..and from my experience…..Apple or Microsoft are just the biggest names…..and oddly enough more important to Artists then Wacom. I’ve talked to a few of the iPad Pro artists and most of them seem quite content with ProCreate for creating full illustrations start to finish or concept art. I know at least 2 that use older Wacom gear like a Cintiq 12wx and an Intuos 4, but there seems to be an even split between “New to Digital” artists and “Cintiq/Intuos Veteren” Artists using the iPad Pro/Pencil. But so long as whatever they’re using has the Apple seal of Approval, they seem content.

3. While I think Microsoft has made some gainway with the typical tech hipster….it’s still nowhere near Apple, and I don’t think it ever will be. Go to a Mall with a Microsoft Store and an Apple Store…….even if the Microsoft Store has a bunch of new products…..and the Apple Store…has literally nothing new for like 10 months…..the Apple store will still be 10-20 times more crowded then the Microsoft store. Or if Microsoft has made gainway with the Hipster crowd…..they must be a lot more Shy (or ashamed) of their Surfaces…..because I don’t see them remotely as much as Macs in the wild.

Marty, WillAdams and Azzart like this.
  10. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Totally agree with Darkmagistric: give a Mac user the option to choose between a portable Macbook Pro+Intuos/Cintiq Pro and a Surface Pro/Mobilestudio Pro and at least 9 out of 10 will choose the first.
    Even if rationally the latter is the best option for someone who draws.

I can't even convince people how much better it is to work with a tablet without keyboard, and that's just staying in Windows realm. Imagine how worse it is to convince an Apple user.

WillAdams and surfaceproartist like this.