W510 - Issues and work-arounds

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by vtan, Dec 7, 2012.

1. raptir

raptir Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi everyone, just got a W510 and keyboard dock yesterday. I installed the latest driver package from the live updater but I'm still running into two issues:

- The mouse jumps around if I try to click and drag using the clickpad function (it works fine if I click to drag just by double tapping)
    - I'm running into issues with keys repeating if I hold down two keys and then release one of them. For example, when playing Super Mario Bros. in an emulator. If I am running in one direction (thus holding both the D and K keys) and release the D key, I continue running to the right as though I were still holding down the key. I've confirmed that this is not an issue with the emulator as I verified it in Notepad as well.

Does that sound like a defect, or is it "acceptable" behavior for this tablet?

2. TechlLuv

TechlLuv Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been on these forums for a few months and have noticed the w510 does not get many postings with problems anymore. The entire Acer forum in general is mostly about the throttling issue with the w700. Does this actually mean the w510 is a safe choice right now? Are there any on going issues with wifi, charging or keyboard docks? And are gestures now working on the trackpad? Amazon has the w510p for 599 after using a 50.00 coupon so I'm thinking about getting it. One last question for any one that has also used the Envy X2, is it noticeably faster than the w510 or should I ignore the benchmarks? I do not have a place locally to compare the two so I'm trying to narrow it down. Any additional information is also welcomed.

Thanks for any help

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

3. TechlLuv

TechlLuv Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a few quick questions...I ordered W510p and the first thing I did was check the live updater, it said a master update was available (2.08) which it downloaded and installed. When I checked live update again it said 2.08 is available and on my install history it showed 2.08. Does the live updater always show the most recent update available even if you've already installed it? I also noticed when check for updates manually a BIOS update is displayed which is the same size as the master update, will these files do the same things? How do I check my BIOS version?

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

4. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Acer has posted new drivers dated this month, could help with anyone still having issues.

5. spmech5

spmech5 Pen Pal - Newbie

Need help. I have a w510 that I use for work, been using it for years with no problems, It was upgraded to windows 10 with no issues until a recent windows update. now the tablet will turn on, start up then immediately display a shutting down screen. I've tried using the recovery media, both usb and external disk drive with no luck. tried all the F keys and combinations but nothing works. please help.