W510 - Issues and work-arounds

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by vtan, Dec 7, 2012.

1. WildKarrde

WildKarrde Pen Pal - Newbie

2. meengla

meengla Pen Pal - Newbie

I too installed the 2.04 package a few days ago. The trackpad--while never as bad as some other people's--seems a bit improved though still not every good. Yeah, the keyboard hasn't stuck.

BUT...the only thing in the 2.04 package seemed to be Intel zxxxxx processor upgrade, right? How would that fix trackpad/kb issues?

3. WildKarrde

When I upgraded mine there were multiple BIOS updates, I'm pretty sure they weren't all for the processor.

4. vtan

vtan Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone know what the difference is between the 1.51 BIOS and the 2.04 Driver Package? I would have thought that the BIOS setup would simply update the BIOS and the Driver Package update the OS drivers but they're the same size (35.3MB) and when I run them, they seem to do the exact same thing ... ie. update the BIOS and then install drivers. And at the end of it all I still have the same issues:
    (1) w510 won't come out of sleep mode every so often
    (2) trackpad goes wonky and won't respond properly
    (3) no Win 8 gestures on the trackpad
    Vince

5. pseudoware

pseudoware Pen Pal - Newbie

The port on the bottom of you tablet that connects to the dock - you can connect the charger directly to that. I bought mine w/the dock and charge the tablet w/o the dock all the time. The tablet is the same whether sold with or w/o the dock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

6. WildKarrde

Me again... just thought it was worth noting that my track pad is all wonky again... guess I won't get out of sending my unit to the factory.

7. meengla

meengla Pen Pal - Newbie

Indeed! Man this should have been obvious to me--but then I don't read User Manuals. Also, the Acer tech support guy I spoke with some days ago told me that 'this model is only supposed to be charged via the keyboard'. I didn't buy that. I thought--the tablet only version can't be different from the one with the kb but that guy kept insisting on that and kept looking up various W510 models while I was on phone.

Thanks for the info.

8. meengla

meengla Pen Pal - Newbie

I will try to download and re-install the Driver Package 2.04 and see if I missed something.

But here is good news: This tablet has not crashed EVEN ONCE since I applied the 2.04 patch. Now it comes out of sleep mode and joins previous networks without delays. Also, no crashes while browsing etc. Considering that I may only installed the Processor's patch from the 2.04 download I think the Processor was the culprit for much of the issues?

I am still not satisfied with the flaky track pad but I can live with this--most of the time I use the touch based inputs.

9. nportillo

nportillo Pen Pal - Newbie

I sent my w510 to acercare because the crazy pad. After the 2.04 pack it seems the keyboard stopped repeating keys but mouse pad still was going crazy.

I will get it in one or two days so I will report if they replaced it or what.

10. pseudoware

pseudoware Pen Pal - Newbie

Live Updater alerted me that BIOS update "Master Installer v2.08" is available, and I installed it. Anyone know what it's supposed to change? I don't see that update on Acer's site.
    Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express