W510 - Issues and work-arounds

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by vtan, Dec 7, 2012.

1. vtan

vtan Pen Pal - Newbie

I wanted to document some of the issues I've been encountering thus far with the W510. Perhaps others can confirm the behaviour on their units or add to the list. I have all recent Windows updates and have not added anything out of the ordinary software-wise (Office 2013, Plex client, Firefox).

Symptom: Mouse cursor cannot be controlled properly by the trackpad. The cursor will move easily in vertical directions but will either not move horizontally or jump around sporadically.
    Work-arounds: One of two things has worked for me. Either clicking the trackpad a few times or if that doesn't work then undocking the tablet and redocking.

Symptom: W510 will not wake up from sleep, the screen remains black but pressing the Windows button causes the unit to vibrate. Power button does nothing.
    Work-around: The only thing that has worked for me is to hard shut down (press and hold power button for 10 seconds) and restart.

Symptom: W510 doesn't actually sleep when closing the lid although it is configured to do so in the power settings.
    Work-around: Not sure if this is normal for this unit or not. I've just gotten into the habit of closing the lid and then pressing the power button. If I don't press the power button it will eventually sleep after the configured time-out period has elapsed.

Vince

2. snath83

snath83 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the 1674 model (32GB, no keyboard) - seems like the indows button continues to vibrate for sometime even after the system has been shutdown - it stops vibrating after couple of minutes though. Could it be due to new kind of windows startup-shut down thing? I recently built an HTPC with windows 8 Pro and that thing wont shutdown (would automatically reboot after shutdown) until i disabled the quick shutdown/startup thing in teh settings.

3. Pioneer

Pioneer Scribbler - Standard Member

Trying a W510, it's the version with the Eng/French kb sold in Canada.

The screen is very nice, one of the better screens I have used.
    Very little pixilation if any, compared to the Samsung 500t or Vivo RT.

Also love the fanless design , hope fans become a thing of the past in other laptops soon.

Screen turns off, appears to sleep when I close the lid.

Dropped wifi connection a few times, had to reboot to solve that.

The trackpad driver is very limited , no windows 8 gestures , no 2 finger scrolling?
    As menioned by the OP, the pointer does lock in the vertical at times.

The Eng/French layout combined with the small size of the kb makes typing difficult.
    I also noticed a number of double key presses.

Unzipping files can take a unusably long time.

Only max 65mbs 2.4GHz wifi, no 5GHz and no dual stream speeds.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  4. WildKarrde

WildKarrde Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the same exact problems with my W510. I almost sent it back to get it repaired... if I dont find a real fix in the next couple months Im gonna send it back for a replacement. My trackpad is so bad its practically unusable. The blank screen is annoying but doesn't happen too often. other than these two issues I absolutely love this tablet! But I want my trackpad to work. I bought this so I could stop lugging around a bunch of peripherals and power cords with me, but now Im still forced to keep a mouse with me at all time.

5. hart932

hart932 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm experiencing the bad touchpad tracking as well. Tried installing synaptics touchpad drivers but no help at all. ....

6. noxxle

noxxle Scribbler - Standard Member

Try turning off "fast startup" in power options. Might resolve some driver issues after a reboot.

7. WildKarrde

What does fast startup have to do with driver compatibility?

8. noxxle

noxxle Scribbler - Standard Member

With fast startup off the drivers will re-initialize when you reboot. Might solve some issues, might not. Worth a try i thought.

9. ccote

ccote Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I disabled fast startup, rebooted and still have same issued with track pad.

Ccote
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_canada_200 using Board Express

10. WildKarrde

Yeah, I tried it too and my trackpad is just as terrible as ever.

I disabled fast start on my Alienware M11x R3 as well though, and it fixed a problem where every single time I rebooted the computer would crash, and restart again. The M11x still boots as fast as it did without fast start too, probabaly due to my SSD. I don't detect my W510 restarting any slower, so I'll likely leave it disabled.