W500 - Erratic Screen Flashing

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by bowruss, Jun 1, 2011.

1. AllenPapapetrou

AllenPapapetrou Scribbler - Standard Member

Aloha blackdemon,

The YT video is from Acer support and was updated on 1 July. If I had the problem I would apply their solution. Very straight forward and well done video. I'm impressed...

Allen

2. blackdemon

blackdemon Pen Pal - Newbie

Aloha Allen ....
    I've tried the solution proposed on the video .... it work!!
    the defect is gone immediatly .

3. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Last night sitting there while charging two USB batteries the usually screen flashing started as the show desktop button was activated. Yep... I have the latest firmware update so there you go. How did I get it to stop? I tried tapping the right lower side but that didn't work so I put my hand around the area (rear, side and front) which made the flashing stop.

Muh.

4. Flamingfarts

Flamingfarts W500 owner

I consider the possibility that static electricity may be a cause. All the ingredients of concern are there : the metal chassis and backplate, a capacitive screen, the magnets and finally the screen shield appears to be a kind of vinyl .....

By putting your hand behind without applying any pressure, you have acted like a ground and removed any static electricity on the device and stopped the flickering.

i know it's a shoot in the dark but who knows ?

5. excalibur1814

Hey... works for me :)

Still really liking this device. (Could do with a couple more hours on the battery life though)

6. ACIWD

ACIWD Pen Pal - Newbie

There is a new update for the touch panel at Acer Downloads in the BIOS section.

Touch Panel Firmware Updater Acer_1005.2003 Release date:2011.07.19

Also a new update for 3G.

7. excalibur1814

Thanks ACIWD

Will try that tonight

8. skellyman99

skellyman99 Pen Pal - Newbie

9. Wiz33

Wiz33 Scribbler - Standard Member

10. Senior Geek

Senior Geek Computer Graphics Nut

I've been experiencing the flashing screen problem for some time and have been watching the posts on this forum for a solution. I installed Windows 8 on my Iconia (which I LOVE), so I couldn't send it back to Acer. I probably voided the warranty, but it's worth it. Anyway I found the solution right here on a post and it works!!! Just follow these YouTube instructions to download and install the latest Touch Screen Firmware Update from Acer:

YouTube - ‪Random Click in lower right corner of the screen on the Iconia Tab W500.f4v‬‏

My Iconia is back to stable operation now and I'm delighted. I do notice that the touch screen sensitivity is slightly less now and I'm guessing that's what Acer did to fix the problem. Before the update, I could just lightly tap the screen or even just pass my finger or stylus close by to get a response. Now, I need to touch it a bit more firmly, though not much, to get it to respond. No more flashing to the desktop and back. I love my Acer Iconia W500 and Windows 8. So happy that I don't have to send it away for repair or remove the Windows 8 preview version.

Best of Luck to all of you out there with the same problem that so many of us had. I hope this works for you too!

11. Solom01

Solom01 Scribbler - Standard Member

Actually, so long as you have access to a USB dvd disc drive it's no problem returning it to the original configuration (or to whatever you had set up in Windows 7 if you made an image with the included back up program). It's quite easy to do if you follow the instructions on this thread. I tried Windows 8 twice, and though the responsiveness was nice I wasn't a big fan of the Metro Interface and some of the other issues with the trial program (couldn't figure out how to increase the size of menus and buttons, etc.) and went back to 7. 8 certainly looks promising so I'll probably buy a copy as soon as the final release version comes out.