W500 - Erratic Screen Flashing

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by bowruss, Jun 1, 2011.

1. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm clean installing now to see if that changes anything; also clean installing to ENSURE Acer doesn't slap me with theie £74 driver issue charge.

Looks like this may not go well for Acer :/

p.s. I'm selling as soon as it comes back as I'm not having defective goods.

2. papi

papi Scribbler - Standard Member

I was on the fence trying to decide between the W500 and the Fujitsu Q500 for use as a portable media consumption W7 device. The less-than-stellar reviews of the Q550 (not at all unexpected but I was hoping for upside surprises) swayed me to this side of the fence.

First I just wanted to say that it's beautiful piece of hardware for the money and it plays all the HD contents I wanted to play without any issue.

Now this flickering issue has got me concerned. Did it develop over time? Is it caused by some Windows updates? Could it be caused by installing/uninstalling/reinstallation of some software?

Fortunately for me I have not experienced this issue. But I do recall seeing something similar to it when I was using the pointing device on the keyboard: The mouse pointer would randomly move to the low right corner of the task bar and click on the show desktop icon. I have not spent enough time with the W500 to see if this is a persistent problem.

I'm running my W500 with the vanilla Acer setup, but with these modifications:
    * turned off paging and hibernation. This freed up 2GB of space and set the usable disk space to 19GB.
    * uninstalled McAfee

3. excalibur1814

Mine started doing this literally last week, a couple of times to start, but really started to escalate as time moved on. I've just clean installed...

Does the same thing. :( No settings changed at all.

At this point in time the W500 is; more or less, the best Windows 7 tablets for media and general use; the Asus EP121 being more for people that want that little bit extra. Damn shame. The MSI Windpad sucks, the Q550 is an unknown until people actually start answering simple questions and.... there's nothing else really

:(

4. bowruss

bowruss Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello Wiz33

My first email contact was - Shekhar Chs, Agent ID:1296 Acer UK Online Technical Support

The guy who rang me yesterday to have me talk through the fault was (I think) Andy - very helpful and pleasant guy.

My case number is: Case ID 1389966N

Russ

5. Wiz33

Wiz33 Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks, I'll forward that over. I forwarded him a link to this thread so hopefully we might know something soon.

6. papi

Since this problem surfaces over time and not on day one, and based on my limited experience with it as described in a few posts back, I'm guessing this might be caused by repeated connects and disconnects from the dock which in turn cause some internal component to break.

Just a wild guess. Until the problem has been identified, I'll try to avoid using the dock.

7. Wiz33

I have my unit for 3 weeks now and I dock and undock multiple times a day and I have no problem. Neither did the over 50 individual review between Amazon and B&H including 100s of followup comments. I think it's more a case of one lot of defective screen slipping through the process.

8. excalibur1814

I don't have the dock and it's happened to me; I do take care of my stuff

9. excalibur1814

@Wizz33: Do you work for Acer by any chance? :D ;)

10. Wiz33

No, I have been in the computer industry in Silicon valley for over 30years and have gotten to know a lot of people at varies manufacturer that have a presence in the valley. Sometimes,some of them will ask me to take a first look of varies product in the design, engineering stage.

I was given a first look at both the A500 & W500 as the engineering sample came in as I was talking to my contact at Acer about getting on the tablet bandwagon. I initially have high hope for the Android Tab since it's smaller and lighter, but in the end, the W500 wins out just cause it's running Win7.

FYI, I wasn't paid for my feedback and I was not offered a discount on a unit. I bought mine off Amazon just like everyone else and I have been reading and responding to review on Amazon as well as here.

11. excalibur1814

Sounds good and it's damn nice to know that you're in the position that you're in. Respect.

12. bowruss

bowruss Pen Pal - Newbie

Just a quick follow up on the dock thing - I don't have a dock and it's therefore never been connected to one. My brother also has a W500 - also no dock - and he says no problems at all.

As per my earlier post, I'm waiting for the Acer guys to get back to me. I'll post when I hear more.

Despite the flashing fault, I do think the W500 is a great piece of kit. I got mine on a sort of whim from PC World here in Preston UK and I've no connections with Acer. They do seem involved and prepared to look into it properly. We'll see.......

Russ

13. excalibur1814

The only change I made before it kept on damn well hitting the show desktop button - I changed the ATI GPU settings to performance.

I'm actually missing the device as it's 'is' very, very good. Wonder what the fix will be?

14. bowruss

bowruss Pen Pal - Newbie

Here's the latest!

Just had a message to headed "product repair complete" and that I can "expect to recieve it within 3 working days". No info about what the fault was or what the tech guys did.

I rang Acer UK, gave them my case ID number and asked if they could tell me what the problem was. They said that they hadn't got the parts so it was being dealt with as a product swap.

When I get my replacement W500, I naturally give it a thorough working out and I let you all know the final outcome.

I mentioned that other people had this fault and perhaps it was down to early production glitches. The operator didn't say anything and I didn't pursue this point as I hope to shortly return to "satisfied customer" status!

Russ.

15. excalibur1814

:/ Ohh eck! Hope it's a nice shiny new one instead of a refurb :)

16. bowruss

bowruss Pen Pal - Newbie

Some terrible jokes on here!

Russ

17. excalibur1814

That's not a joke. Companies usually/can/do send out refurbs instead of brand new items as replacements

?

I actually DO HOPE that you get a new machine...

18. excalibur1814

Update:

Booked a collection with whatever courier company on Thursday last week and no-one's appeared to collect as yet (From work). The sales person who sold me the W500 (main supplier to the company) called today and I mentioned the W500 and before I had a chance to say that I've been experiencing issues he stated, "Please don't mention Acer to me and their Iconia machines".

They've, apparently, had a whole load of problems with them and customers haven't exactly been happy. Yay. Looks like I should sell when it comes back from repair in case there are more problems.

19. Pawprints

Pawprints Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh, seems I'm not alone. I've had the same problem with mine (only 6 days old. I contacted Acer and am waiting some kind of a reply (Been a few days now). Oddly it seemed to do it more after running full screen apps like Clear fi and Media Centre. I turned off the unit and gave it a good clean with a glasses lense cloth and maybe I've just been lucky but it's not done it again (yet). I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens. I should have taken a video but it's like someone manically tapping at the bottom right of the screen. I would suggest anyone that has this problem try giving the screen a really good clean. I wonder if it's something strange setting off the screen. I'd be interested to hear if anyone can find out what actually causes it and if it is indeed hardware. My unit is just over a week old and I hate having to install everything only to have to return the thing. Oh and iAcer has the cheek to charge anyone 74 for a fault in the unit I'd like to hear about it :)

Ok, apart from the dodgy touch screen glitch the unit is pretty decent I think. I had a chinese import tablet before which was ok apart from the noisy fan which makes skype and microphone use impossible. I use a lot of 3D apps and I can say that although a bit slow, poser pro works on it. Quidam works quite nicely as does Cinema 4D. Archipelis is a bit of a struggle. Games wise. Portal was playable, Doom 3 was almost there. The telltale games work well (monkey island, sam and max, wallace and grommit) if a little jerky at times. Trine pushed it a little bit too much and as soon as the physics kicked in ran like a tortoise. It feels slower than the atom 1.6 for many windows tasks but for anything graphics related seems to out perform the other tablet I used by a huge margin as it has a propper graphics card support. I haven't and wouldn't dare try Vue as I think that would be too much for it to handle. As I said apart from the annoying desktop flicking I'm really happy with the device.

oh one final thing. Can someone tell me how to stop the unit going dimm on start up. I've tried lots of options but it still keeps dimming the screen and I have to use the acer tools to brighten it again. Most annoying.

I'll post again if I learn anything new or the device acts up again. Oh and yes I agree, having both USB's on the bottom is just madness. I've found using the device upside down works a treat as you can have things hanging off the top! :)

20. papi

Am I correct in saying that only units sold in the UK have this issue? Maybe there's a bad production run? Anyone in the US experiencing this problem?

Have you checked the power plan settings? You can change the dim display timer there.

I found the touch to be less accurate when holding the tab upside down. Maybe it requires calibration?