W500 - Erratic Screen Flashing

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by bowruss, Jun 1, 2011.

1. bowruss

bowruss Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello. I have an Acer Iconia Tab W500 and the touch screen seems erratic.

When I use the screen, a small indicator appears momentarily and this obviously then activates the selected programme, link, etc.

The problem is that the small indicator appears on its own in the bottom right hand corner of the screen causing the the screen to flash between show desktop and (say) Google. If I have the task bar at the top, the indicator still appears at lower right and even works the scroll bar - if I'm on full screen.

This is very irritating! and apparently uncontrollable!

Is there a fix for this please?

Russ

2. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not that it will help (but you never know), plug in a mouse and move the mouse icon away from the bottom right; then unplug the mouse and carry on.

It might work??

3. bowruss

bowruss Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks Exc. I'll give it a go.

I was really wondering if this is a fault others have experienced? There's a guy in USA on here who has the same thing. Maybe there's aworaround or a patch due.

Thanks.

Russ

4. Wiz33

Wiz33 Scribbler - Standard Member

Don't think this is the cause of the problem but more a shot in the dark, did you remove the screen protector from the screen?

5. {StatuSChecKa}

{StatuSChecKa} Pen Pal - Newbie

I had some flickering a while back, but a reboot did the trick. It happens when I have the device on for a long period of time.

6. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Because its full Windows 7, you can turn off the taskbar icons you don't use (Right click on the taskbar, choose properties, in the window that pops up click the "Customize..." button, and from there just disable the problematic thing)

If that doesn't work, can you post a screenshot/ picture of it when it is happening so I can see what info I can find on it?

7. bowruss

bowruss Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the replies - I haven't removed the screen protector. Like status checka, it happens when it's been on a while.

Statuschecka - I'm a bit new to all this - how did you reboot? Do you think this sorted it completely?

It doesn't do it when I use a mouse but then I'm not using the touch screen...

Agent 9 - I've tried the task bar properties route but ti still comes back. It's almost like a little star that appears in the bottom right corner. If I can catch it, how do I do a screen shot? (Yes, I know - pathetic isn't it).

Russ

8. Wiz33

Can you try removing the screen protector and see if the problem persist? My Acer contact is out of town this week but I have already advice him of this problem but they have not seen it before.

9. bowruss

bowruss Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks Wiz33. I've now gone into the on-line help system from the Acer website. After I described the problem as in my first post, they have replied telling me that the Tab will have to be returned for repair.

At the mo, I'm waiting for their collection instructions. We'll have to see out it all works out.

BTW - using the options on the task bar to customise icons didn't work. You can't remove the show desktop button. My only way to stop the flashing between prog and desktop was to move the task bar to the top which puts the show desktop button top right. I've also experimented with cancelling peek and floating the task bar. The only solution is to move it to the top.

This does not of course deal with the fault and the little star thing keeps nipping back to the bottom left corner. I also get it opeing the catalyst box on its own! If you have a full screenpage up and it has a slide bar, the thing appears and starts scrolling down on its own!

All very fascinating but VERY infuriating.

As I say, we'll see what the techies at Acer UK reckon when they've had a poke around.

Russ

10. drussthelegend

drussthelegend Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank god someone else is experiencing the very same problem. I too am experiencing this very same thing!

I my case, I moved the Taskbar to the left (not top or bottom) and so the down scroll bar arrow is at the bottom left hand corner; and when this problem arises, it repeatedly selects the arrow and causes my page to scroll down!

I thought this happened because I am in the habit of carrying the W500 by holding it by the right edge; and so the screen bent outwards (even slightly) because of the weight of the device while being held horizontally by the edge, it causes the screen to select the bottom right corner...

In my case, if you press on the center, the problem stops; until I carry the W500 by one of the edges...

In hindsight, my theory feels stupid as the W500 has a metal body; so there should not be any bending at all and maybe there is a defect in the W500.

@bowruss: Keep us updated and if there is any problem and what sort of problem is it, so I can also pop into the Acer Service Center and harass them.

11. excalibur1814

:(

Dammit. This has been happening to me as well and this morning after first starting the device it did it for 30 seconds or so.

- Browsing the web or using kindle
    - Show desktop is activated
    - Touch back on the open program
    - Show desktop is activated and I can see the screen dot appear to the bottom right.

If it carries on I might decide to get rid after returning for a repair. (Boxed and ready to go back, case created, and just waiting for a reply)

... after thinking about it for awhile, i think I'll start looking for something else as after reading the above information, I don't want this machine if it had a problem so soon.

12. bowruss

bowruss Pen Pal - Newbie

OK folks - here's the latest.

It's gone back to Acer at their centre in Plymouth (UK). They arranged collection and they have told me it's arrived and that they're working on it.

Just a thought - I went down this route because I started to check out the problem by visitng and posting on here and by emailing Acer's on-line help. After Acer got my problem descripition, they said it needed to be returned for service. I suppose I should have gone back to the seller, PC World, here in Preston, UK, but I thought i'd try out the on-line route first. Technically, it's the seller's responsibility to sort out faulty/not fit for purpose goods but I seem to be getting a reasonable response from Acer themselves so I'm not unhappy, so far, with how the thing is progressing.

I'll keep you all up to date. I'm just glad I'm not the only one with this fault (sorry if that sounds a bit meanspirited!) since it shows I've not mis-handled or done anything stupid with the machine. Like all of us, I take great care when handling what I assume to be delicate (and expensive) equipment. My tablet has not been dropped or had anything spilled on it and nor have I altered it in any way such as removing the screen protector. I can't even see this protector so it must be well fitted and not designed to be removed like the ones you get over phone screens which are obvious and easily peeled off.

Incidentally, my brother has an identical W500 tablet and has no problems at all. I still think it's a great machine and I can't wait to get mine back - or a replacement.

Watch this space!

Russ.

13. excalibur1814

You've been lucky, i got this instead:

Problem :

Whenever using the device, be it first start or after a period of time, the 'show desktop' is enabled which means that anything that is on the screen disappears time after time.

To solve please use the follow instruction:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Acer UK. We regret the inconvenience caused to you.

Regarding your enquiry, could you please record and send the issue as video, so that we can assist you further.

Please do not reply to this e-mail. Your e-mail will not be answered.

For further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us on 0871 760 1000 (UK), 0818 202 210 (Eire) or e-mail us.

Regards
    Sekhar M
    Agent ID 1184
    Acer UK Technical Support Team

Regards,
    Acer Support.

14. Wiz33

OK another shot in the dark. Have anyone of you kept the screen protector on? If so, can you remove it and see?

15. excalibur1814

Same here. My Girlfriend things that I'm sad as I literally treat my stuff with kids cloves as I do like to keep things nice and tidy. It is a great machine and since forcing myself to use it over the TM2 I can say that I'm going to miss it.

16. Wiz33

Bowruss

Do you have the contact person info on the person working on your device at Plymouth (UK)? My Acer contact here wants to follow up.

17. excalibur1814

After I filled in the returns form again and attached warranty proof mine is now booked in for return. Yay. Will be sending off tomorrow.

(P.s. there's a section that states, 'If we find that the problem is software related we will charge you £74'.)

18. ACIWD

ACIWD Pen Pal - Newbie

19. papi

papi Scribbler - Standard Member

That's really bad. Does it happen if you change the orientation? Is the tablet docked?

20. ACIWD

ACIWD Pen Pal - Newbie

It's a real pain in the @ss.

Yes, it still happens regardless of orientation even with the screen orientation lock on.

Yes, the tablet is docked but it also occurs when not docked.

Also the screen proector was removed....but put back on after testing.

The only time it does not happen is if the tablet is docked and a mouse is plugged into any of the 2 usb ports.

Already sent the tablet back to Acer Canada for repair along with a link for the viodeoclip since they asked about it.

Just waiting for a response from Acer.