W500 and Windows 8?

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by almostinsane, Sep 14, 2011.

1. almostinsane

almostinsane Pen Pal - Newbie

2. Flamingfarts

Flamingfarts W500 owner

3. {StatuSChecKa}

{StatuSChecKa} Pen Pal - Newbie

how would you boot it? would you wipe out the Windows 7 and install the 8?
    Or would you partition the 7 and make just enough room to Dual Boot Windows 8?
    I am running out of ideas, i tried to run off an external HDD but that is just not happening.. I am about ready to wipe out the whole 32gb SSD and install 8. I want to try Win8 on a tablet so bad. Even though Engadget has a vid of 8 on a W500. i want to see for myself...

4. almostinsane

almostinsane Pen Pal - Newbie

I did a fresh install of win8. Backed up the Win7 image with Acronis Trueimage first so I can easily roll back.

5. {StatuSChecKa}

6. {StatuSChecKa}

This is so cool!
    Im typing on Windows 8 now. Then W500 should have been like this the whole time.
    I lost my auto rotate and cant get it back...

7. sullitf

sullitf Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm trying to install 8 on my new w500 and realized I don't know how to boot off the USB. Is there a magic key combo to get me a boot drive menu?

EDIT: scratch that, answered my own question. Accessed the bios by holding start+power when rebooting, then hitting F12 after the cursor appears in the top left corner. Installing Windows 8 now, lets hope this goes well!

8. {StatuSChecKa}

Hey Sullitf, I'm glad you figured it out. I used the Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool along with the proper .iso.
    Installation when well, I turned my head for 20 mins, then all the sudden it was at the Personalize screen :)

Source: Microsoft Store Online

9. parks4619

parks4619 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been using it for a couple of days. No real problems, except multitasking not working for me.

10. {StatuSChecKa}

Known bugs [as reported on other public sites] (hey a free beta cant be perfect):
    No Flicks.
    Many Accelerometers dont work. (So auto rotate wont work)

11. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There's a setting somewhere in the new control panel that defines if an app or how many apps stay open (Apparently.. not seen it yet as I don't have a suitable tab... Realised, however, that I have an M400 in the spare room!)

12. hoffmansweb

hoffmansweb Pen Pal - Newbie

installed it last night. runs really good for a preview. I got rotate to work(had to install driver and Auto Screen Rotation Blocker)

13. {StatuSChecKa}

what driver please!? I installed the blocker, and i see it running in services.

14. shivamparikh

shivamparikh Pen Pal - Newbie

You need to install the Device Control Application. THat worked for me as well but after my next reboot it stopped again. So I assume there are quirks. Can anyone explain the steps for a working rotation on Windows 8. I don't seem to be able to get it working after a lucky first time.

By the way I have been testing the Acer W500 since around three days.

Web Cam drivers both front and back were auto detected without driver manipulation / installation.

I have noticed that using ALT+CTRL+DEL to quit applications is not a good thing.

I have one more bug not reported. When not using the keyboard if the user uses the tablet, goes to Pictures and begins a slide show you can not get out and have it stopped without ALT+CTR+DEL. This becomes annoying since each time you try to go to the desktop it will continue the slide show in progress unless Forecefully stopped using ACD (Alt Ctrl Del).

15. shivamparikh

PS - how does Auto Screen Rotation Blocker help ? Isnt that software to stop the rotation???

16. {StatuSChecKa}

Maybe its for that physical hardware switch that we have. I saw it installed on the Windows 7, so I thought why not give it a shot :)

Source:

http://support.acer.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=3853

17. {StatuSChecKa}

Woo Hoo, my Auto Rotate works like a charm, I Rebooted and Shutdown, works great.

18. shivamparikh

Auto Rotate works on Win 8 after a couple of good reboots? Can anyone explain step by step process of installation and testing for the same. I have tried this over and over but seems it doesnt stick around after the first reboot.

19. Solom01

Solom01 Scribbler - Standard Member

Quick question to those of you who have installed Windows 8, what's the battery life like? I've seen some complaints about battery life being wretched since as a preview drivers aren't optimized, etc. and just wanted to see if any of you had any comments on how this effects the W500?

20. {StatuSChecKa}

I love battery life. Windows 8 on the 500 is definitely not a negative in regards to battery.