W10 Anniversary Update on HP Envy Note 8

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Bishop, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

I got tired of waiting on Windows Update. Using the instructions found in this post on Windows Central, I installed the W10 Anniversary Update.

Notes:
    1. It is an update method; it doesn't reformat the drive.
    2. Size matters. You will need at least 8GB of space on the SDD. I only had 5GB available. Here are the steps I had to take to get down to that number:
    a. Turn off Hibernate
    b. Turn off OneDrive syncing folders locally
    c. Uninstall most of the Windows Store Apps I'd downloaded
    d. Move other docs, pictures, videos, etc. to the MicroSD card
    d. Run Disk Cleanup​
    3. Leave it plugged in throughout. I can't give a good time estimate, because my install stopped in order to take steps described in number 2 above. Plan for 2 hours, give or take your internet speed.
    4. After the install is complete:
    a. Check Windows Update; there's a good size cumulative update already
    b. My SDD reported only 2GB of 32GB available
    c. Run Disk Cleanup (including Clean Up System Files) - again.
    Please note: If you run Clean Up again, you can't uninstall the Anniversary Update
    d. Here's some good news. After clean up, the SDD reported over 15GB available. The clean up tool seems to have some new muscle.
    e. Check for updates in the Windows Store
    f. Reinstall the apps removed in 2.c. above (I still had 10GB available)​
    5. The performance is very smooth and snappy.

I did it largely to get access to the Edge plugins for OneNote and Evernote and improved start screen. The improved performance and SDD space were very welcome surprises.

WillAdams likes this.
  2. Kritter

Kritter Pen Pal - Newbie

I'd like to add that you can choose to do a clean update by choosing to not keep any apps and files. It will delete pre-loaded apps from HP but keeps the Wacom drivers.

nnthemperor likes this.
  3. WindowsTabletFan

WindowsTabletFan Pen Pal - Newbie

Is your HP Envy 8 still working fine with the latest Windows 10 Anniversary Edition builds?

Mine was working fine for a while but at some point a Windows update started causing my tablet to freeze consistently just a couple minutes after logging into Windows. I updated my tablet with all the latest drivers available from both the HP and Intel but to no avail. Crash analysis tools indicated a problem with the hal.dll driver for which no updates are available. Worse yet, I tried to go back to the pre-Windows 10 Anniversary Edition using HP's own USB recovery kit and the tablet freezes consistently during recovery installation as well! Fortunately the tablet is still under warranty and HP is sending me a replacement but I really want to use Windows 10 Anniversary Edition's new stylus functionality (since the tablet comes with a nice Wacom active stylus, after all)...

4. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Mine is working fine. I suggest you download the AU on a bootable usb thumb drive as the OP and do a clean install, remove everything and install only modern apps. You're device will be ok.
    Having said that, I frustrated with the 37secs boot time on the device. Still can't figure how to correct that.

Sent from mTalk

5. WindowsTabletFan

WindowsTabletFan Pen Pal - Newbie

Great--thanks for letting me know that AU works fine on your Envy 8! As soon as I receive my replacement unit, I'll try installing AU on it...perhaps there really was some sort of hardware issue with my original unit, even though all of HP's UEFI "extensive" hardware tests passed.

Incidentally, some people have claimed that a slow boot time is related to the choice of SD card. Does your tablet boot faster without the card inserted?