VT requirements

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by PavlovsDog, May 22, 2007.

1. V-tech11

V-tech11 Pen Pal - Newbie

MY major will be mechanical engineering and we will be running some pretty "intense" programs...here are the minimum requirements....
    http://www.eng.vt.edu/academics/comp_require.php
    I looked at the lenovo x60 tablet and it met all the requirements but could only offer a 2 core duo 1.5 GHz processor...does anyone have any suggestions as in what to get? Are there any good ones coming out in the future...like a month...?

THANKS!!!!

2. PavlovsDog

PavlovsDog Master of Obvious Things

V-tech, Lenovo's X60 offerings will be plenty sufficient for your needs. I may not be a mechE, (environmental, previously chemical) but I can't imagine where that kind of horsepower would mean life and death in a college scenario. Obviously, you'll want to get an external optical drive for any data hardcopies, but that you can either purchase or craft together with an external enclosure.

Most likely, you'll be running MATLAB (regardless of how few actual firms can afford it, every engineer these days gets a swipe at MATLAB in undergrad) which runs smoothly on older machines anyways. CAD is a given, so maybe get an external monitor if you have the extra cash, because the screen real-estate of most tablets leaves something to be desired. If you can, get the XP tablet OS option, as it seems VT is still adamant about Vista's hardware and software support.

Lenovo's X61 tablet is slated to be released in the near future, but I wouldn't go to the bank on it. Fujitsu's T4220 is also due to be released soon (summer-ish?), but I'm fuzzy on the general timeframe, so search the forums about that. Their current incarnations, the x60 and T4215 are my personal picks for students on the go. I've heard quite a bit on the Asus R1F, but someone else will have to comment about that, as I have no experience. The Gateway CX-210/M285-E are definitely the power-user's tablet, but you sacrifice a lot of the portable quality that students really need.

Good luck in your search!

3. BenI

BenI Pen Pal - Newbie

if you want something more poweful than the X60/X61 go witht he Fijistu T4215/T4220.
    other reason why i will be buying a T4420 over the X61:
    touch pad (presonal preferance)
    built in optical drive
    swivel screen both ways
    and from what i hear fijistu has great support and lenovo is horrible including up to 2 months for them to even ship out your laptop after purchase.
    just my 2 cents!

4. V-tech11

V-tech11 Pen Pal - Newbie

to be honest i have never heard of fujitsu, but they have joined with the school as a supplier of laptops so i dunno. How good are fujitsu tablets? i hontestly dont want an hp or a gateway...

5. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You've never hear of Fujitsu............

Fujitsu & Fujitsu Siemens make some excellent hardware, none so less than their line up of Tablet PC's.

They are renown for their built quality and Customer Service/Tech Support are amongst the best.

Have a read around the Fujitsu section and see the comments made.

I've currently got from Fujitsu Siemens alone 4 x T4210's, 1 x P1610 in my Tablet line up.
    I could then go on to the Notebook line up and PocketPC items but I'm hoping you get the message, I buy their equipment because I truly believe in them.

6. PavlovsDog

PavlovsDog Master of Obvious Things

Additionally, Fujitsu is one of the oldest manufacturers of tablets, having made tablet PC's before Bill Gates publicly supported the platform. They've been making the Stylistic line of slate tablets since the early 90's, which I might add, is still continued today. So if anything, they have the most experience with the platform.