VP 11 Atom z3770 faster than my Venue 7130 i5 4300Y multi threaded?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Hendrickson, Jan 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hendrickson

Hendrickson Scribbler - Standard Member

I've seen that in geekbench the Atom z3770 does around 1k single threaded and 3k multi. My i5 4300Y does single 1798 and multi 2924! on par with the Atom. Whats wrong with this picture? Proof: Dell Inc. Venue 11 Pro 7130 - Geekbench Browser

Either the atoms really good, or the i5 4300Y is thottled so much its as powerful as a Atom at multicore... :confused:

2. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Baytrail has 4 real cores while the I5 4300 has two + two virtual cores that are lacking some power/features.

3. ford1620

ford1620 Pen Pal - Newbie

No question from what I see that the 4300Y is heavily throttled. But here is a comparison looking at multiple PassMark benchmarks:

4300yCapture.PNG
    Z3770Capture.PNG
    4300Y 2 Capture.jpg
    Z3770 2 Capture.jpg

4. Hendrickson

On a good note the cpu can be heavily undervolted which helps the trottling. Just use intel XTU. I'm stable at -90mW

5. Alchemist

Alchemist Scribbler - Standard Member

My take on the Y series vs the Atom in the Venue 11 is that the Y series chips are more powerful, but were created by cutting down features / performance from the U series in order to meet the power curve they wanted. So it was a case of lets keep as much as we can but power takes priority over performance as the U series is there for performance.

With the baytrail atom on the other hand, intel had something to prove. The atom series has been lackluster since the netbook days but they REALLY needed a winner here. So It was a matter of lets throw as much as we can in there because it HAS to be competitive with the latest ARM chips and HAS to have at least passable graphics.

So, while the Y series an answer to the question 'how can we compromise the U series for low power' the baytrails question was more 'how do we make this thing shine'. It shows in the design, for what it is the baytrail chip is pretty damned good.

6. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

If I wasn't going to run virtual machines and needed the extra ram and storage for development, I would have gone for the bay trail version.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

7. Alchemist

Alchemist Scribbler - Standard Member

I hear ya. I ended up with a 3 system solution... xps 27 desktop, a refurb i3 xps 18 that I use for mobile development and a baytrail venue I use for testing apps and mobile use... I have the mobile keyboard so the battery life is just amazing. I can't do much development on an 10.8" screen anyway so use my i3 xps 18 for that. Picked it up at dell outlet for about $530 and put a Samsung 840 ssd in it, its my 'notebook'. the venue is my tablet and on the road notebook.

Its weird, 18 months ago I was on one system (an asus g73 17") now im on 3 and all dell. Much more productive though, and even the xps18 is only 1/2 the weight of the g73 so it feels light. lol.

8. Hendrickson

With all the odd hangs and freezes my T100ta seems quicker and daily tasks than my i5 4300Y, its crazy. If the bay trail had 128GB ssd and 2GB more its a true winner.

9. ford1620

ford1620 Pen Pal - Newbie

Found this amusing comment on the Q704 thread. Looks like they are getting similar benchmark results with a 4600U CPU. I was considering this tablet instead of the 11 pro, but went with the Dell, and was glad I did when the Fujitsu came in at double the cost.

Overall, like many of you, my 11 Pro has been buggy, but I guess I've been relatively lucky. In a little more than two weeks I've had maybe 2 freezes that lasted more than 10 seconds and about a dozen 5 sec or less. Had the ghost touching once (restart and it was gone). Display Port was a little stubborn with my Asus monitor (HDMI was fine), but is working now.

One issue I have is the touch pad on the mobile keyboard went bad after initially working fine. Getting close to returning it, but I want to get a case or something to protect the screen while I wait for a replacement.

As far as the BayTrail, I'm using this as a mobile desktop, replacing my 5 yr old 50 lb Toshiba, so the ram and ssd options convinced me to go 7130.

Capture Q704 GB Score Post.JPG

10. shogun-r

shogun-r Pen Pal - Newbie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.