VivoTab TF810C stability issues

Discussion in 'Asus' started by maverick, Dec 15, 2012.

1. maverick

maverick Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello.

I have been using the VivoTab (TF810C) for two weeks now. The device is GREAT (form factor, performance, battery life...), but there's definitely a stability issue :mad:.

I have at least one BSOD per day. The system completely freezes, and if I wait for 5-10 minutes, I have a BSOD with "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE" (0x9F). Looking at the dump files, it looks like the audio driver is not correctly handling state transitions. The IRP is not completely processed by isstrtc.sys (IntelSST audio driver).

I have been googling "z2760 freezing" and such for a few days now, and it is clear that there is a stability issue with the Clover Trail platform. The Samsung Ativ 500t seems to be the most popular Clover Trail device (probably because it was the first available), and if you look at the comments on amazon.com, or threads in this forum, a lot of people are complaining about system freezing and BSOD. People with the Acer W510 are complaining about sound issues (which I had once).

It looks like the rumor about Clover Trail power management issue was^B^B^B *IS* real.

TF810C drivers are not available on the Asus website (why shipping a tablet if drivers are not available? :confused:), so I have tried drivers from other brands. Lenovo seems to have the most up-to-date drivers, but that did not resolve my BSOD issues. None of the available drivers would update the video drivers. I was able to update every other component though.

Also strange, the Asus EEE LiveUpdate program. It auto updates, but no history and no events at all. Can't find manual updates on the asus website.

Are you also having stabillity issues ? If your tablet went to sleep mode and you have to wake it up by holding the power button, you probably had a BSOD. If your tablet freezes, wait a few minutes (less than 10) and you'll see the BSOD.

Please share your experience :hi2:

2. noxxle

noxxle Scribbler - Standard Member

Look around in power management for a "fast startup" option. Turn it off. This will cause drivers to reinitialize when you reboot. Might solve some issues. Doesn't add much time to boot either.

3. maverick

Already tried. Doesn't help :(

Now I have completely lost audio on speakers, but it works fine with ear plugs. I hope it's a driver issue...

I can't restore Windows to factory settings, and the tablet won't boot on USB even with secure boot disabled. Well...

4. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Have had a few crashes myself. Someone on this forum mentioned a program called Whocrashed and this is the report it generated:

On Sat 12/15/2012 7:29:48 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\121512-12750-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: win32k.sys (win32k+0x12EB42)
    Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFF8097AB42, 0xFFFFFFFF9AB21C6C, 0x0)
    Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\win32k.sys
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: Multi-User Win32 Driver
    Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 12/11/2012 2:18:44 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\121012-11703-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: fltmgr.sys (fltmgr+0x1DD94)
    Bugcheck code: 0xC2 (0x7, 0x11C1, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFFA23F1A80)
    Error: BAD_POOL_CALLER
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\fltmgr.sys
    description: Microsoft Filesystem Filter Manager
    Bug check description: This indicates that the current thread is making a bad pool request.
    This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 12/5/2012 1:22:29 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\120412-11296-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x99088)
    Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFFFFF83C7D318, 0xFFFFFFFF804E5B40, 0xFFFFFFFF85C7ABF0)
    Error: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    description: NT Kernel & System
    Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state.
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 12/4/2012 3:08:43 PM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\120412-11609-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x99088)
    Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFFFFF83A7D318, 0xFFFFFFFF825FBB40, 0xFFFFFFFF86EB4700)
    Error: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    description: NT Kernel & System
    Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state.
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 12/4/2012 9:30:46 AM GMT your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\120412-12015-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: syntp.sys (SynTP+0x48D38)
    Bugcheck code: 0x100000B8 (0xFFFFFFFF84060D40, 0xFFFFFFFF840D74C0, 0xFFFFFFFF89D4DDE0, 0x0)
    Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\syntp.sys
    product: Synaptics Pointing Device Driver
    company: Synaptics Incorporated
    description: Synaptics Touchpad Driver
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: syntp.sys (Synaptics Touchpad Driver, Synaptics Incorporated).
    Google query: Synaptics Incorporated CUSTOM_ERROR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Conclusion
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

Seeing as this is occurring across different OEM devices I think it clearly points to a driver problem, which is probably not surprising to anyone here.

@maverick, can you list the drivers you were able to load from Lenovo, maybe others can try and see if they help. Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  5. maverick

Interesting. I'll try Whocrashed.

From Lenovo, you can try the drivers for the ThinkPad Tablet 2. The Intel IO drivers will install pretty much everything except audio and video. The audio drivers are the most up to date I could find. The video drivers wouldn't install.

My BSOD did not stop so I would only recommend the Lenovo drivers to power users who know how to restore drivers.

At this time there is no recovery image from Asus, so be careful.

6. Tourniquet

Tourniquet Scribbler - Standard Member

If you look at the chipset drivers, you'll see they are still tagged as "alpha / beta" (at least the ones from samsung). So its normal that there are still issues. I wonder how microsoft could certificated this chipset without proper drivers available.

The sound problems are also known on the ativ xe500t.

Yesterday samsung released a couple of new drivers, maybe this was fixed?! But they are only available trough the samsung updater.

7. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No doubt there are stability problems, even though I don't have that problem of BSOD everyday. Last week my tablet froze once and that was it. I noticed the battery is draining faster than usual since these past few days, even without heavy usage, and the Asus live update is a useless program that doesn't show any update in the history, just " no updates" constantly. Two weeks ago I experienced a noisy speaker output while using google voice, but that corrected itself after a reboot. There's also the problem of loss of touchpad functionality after sleep.

Very frustrating that Asus can't get their acts together and release drivers for this very expensive device.

8. maverick

I heard about the Samsung drivers, but those on the website are the old ones. Maybe someone with the Samsung can retrieve the drivers installer ?

I also do not understand how Microsoft would validate the Clover Trail drivers.

Regarding the touchpad issue, you can disable/enable with the F9 key. Workaround waiting for a patch.

Hopefully Asus will fix everything soon...

9. maverick

I forgot to mention that from time to time, my screen flickers very fast, like if the brightness would go to maximum for 1ms. It's barely visible but can be disturbing.

Do any of you experience this as well ?

10. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Think I've noticed that too.
    Thanks for the keyboard functionality loss workaround. Is it just the F9 or FN+F9? Someone mentioned that somewhere here. I'm kinda confused.
    Thanks again.