Vivotab TF810C problems with Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Asus' started by kiki, Oct 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fileronin

fileronin Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys. I have an ASUS VivoTab RT (TF600T) Windows 8 tablet.

I tried installing Windows 8.1 today on my App Store and seemed okay until I had to restart the device based on its instructions so I did as it said, and it managed to get to the Start Screen no issues. For now everything seemed fine but something else was fishy.

I put my device on lock to go to the bathroom and upon returning, I tried unlocking and the screen was just pure blank, nothing was showing up (no lock screen or other visuals at all). It was as if it wanted to stay in "stone" mode. It seems like the screen just went all idle on me and it was "blank". Anyone know what's happening??

I am assuming this has to do with 8.1 and graphics drivers perhaps.. but I could be wrong. Any help would be appreciated!

-- Ron

2. billreilly

billreilly Pen Pal - Newbie

For everybody who's having display problems (display driver crashing, trouble waking from sleep, ghosting, artifacts, etc.), I found a thread on the Lenovo site that is dealing with the same problems...

The thread is here:
    TPT2 - Win 8.1 - Display driver keeps crashing - Lenovo Community

Their solution is described by DCRDeveloper on bottom of the third page:
    TPT2 - Win 8.1 - Display driver keeps crashing - Page 3 - Lenovo Community

nnthemperor likes this.
  3. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thank you very much bill. This really worked for me. Please do update us if you stumble across a permanent fix.

4. billreilly

billreilly Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm glad to hear it worked for you... Did it also solve the screen bleeding (or ghosting) problem for you?

Bill

5. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The ghosting is still there but not as noticeable as before.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

6. mph55

mph55 Pen Pal - Newbie

I also had the same issues with 8.1. Reverting to the intel graphics driver from the last Asus update fixes the 4 second wake issue and other graphics problems. Since I had this installed before upgrading to 8.1, the previous driver showed up from my driverstore when I chose to update the driver. You don't need to delete the newer 8.1 drivers but you do need to disable windows auto update driver. When I didn't turn this off, windows updated the drivers and I had the same issues again.
    The screen ghosting seems to be something inherent in this type of LCD screen. I've had the ghosting since I bought the 810 so I don't think this is something a driver can fix. It does not seem to be permanent like plasma, but it will persist for a few minutes even after reboots.

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. bsamcdowell

bsamcdowell Pen Pal - Newbie

I just don't think that it's just this device that has problems with windows 8.1 because I have a Dell Latitude 10 Essentials and a Dell Inspiron 14z laptop and I downloaded windows 8.1 on both of them and I had all sorts of trouble, with my laptop, every time I went into control panel my whole computer would freeze and then restart, plus my computer was slow and sluggish so I reinstalled Windows 8 on my laptop and my laptop is back to normal and running like it did before the update to Windows 8.1. On my Dell tablet I also had all sorts of problems, after I update to windows 8.1 my tablet would automatically shut off, could not walk it up from sleep, blue screens, and fuzzy gray screen and weird noses. I reinstalled window 8 on my dell tablet and lets just say I think Windows 8.1 ruined my $600 tablet because it's very very slow and sluggish, not to mention that it doesn't turn on half of the time, and when you turn it off and back there is just a black light screen, I have to hard shut it down and turn it back on just to get it to work, Also the keyboard only works when it wants too. Before I updated to Window 8.1 my dell tablet was fast working with no problems now I have a whole bunch of problems after updating to super windows 8.1. So I just don't think it just your type of tablet I think it's windows 8.1, my suggestion is to go back to windows 8 because windows 8.1 suck and it should be pulled, I am hoping dell is able to fix or send me a new tablet ASAP. Good Luck

8. chrismariusb

chrismariusb Pen Pal - Newbie

Greetings, humans.

I have just ordered an Asus VivoTab TF810-C to upgrade from my EP121 EeeSlate. From what I have gathered here, I am guessing that it would not be recommended to upgrade from Win8 to 8.1 immediately? I do not want to have to deal with these issues and perhaps if I wait a bit until the next update or something I can avoid them?

9. Tonitti

Tonitti Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't recommend it because I have experienced zero benefits and instead i got errors when waking it up from sleep, graphical glitches in 3d accelerated programs (fresh paint, some ui menus etc) and a totally messy, slow and unuseful, for me, redesigned search function. I'm still waiting a fix for all of this mess.

10. mochaguy22

mochaguy22 Pen Pal - Newbie

This thread has been more helpful than tech support from ASUS. Thanks everyone for contributing in solving a common problem.

Aside from the display problems, I have a problem with my upgrade that hasn't been mentioned. After the upgrade, my Start/Metro/Home (don't know what it's called) button at the bottom of tablet stopped working. Instead of jumping back to the Start screen from opened apps or Desktop, it just vibrates a bit and gave a single click sound. So I refreshed my tablet back to Windows 8 (thinking that it will resolve the problem) and this problem still remains. Is anyone having this problem as well or am I not aware of a function that can reactivate that button?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.