Vivotab TF810c now sleeping overnight!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by NewYorker545, Mar 4, 2013.

1. NewYorker545

NewYorker545 Pen Pal - Newbie

I went through all of the various driver update procedures (using various OEM drivers and the most recent 2-20-2013 Asus drivers).

After updating drivers using the intial driver update guide, I couldn't get sleep mode initiated by the power button to wake after a short period of time. I have never been able to get LiveUpdate to connect (Cannot connect to server error message) so I used a manual update to the 2-20-2013 Asus driver updates. I was able to get consistent sleep mode from the power button for maybe a few hours, but never could stay in sleep mode overnight. If left in sleep mode overnight, I would need to hold the power button for several seconds, then again to get the familiar buzz to get a restart.

In another thread (T810C - driver_power_state_failure), I found something interesting. I checked my driver settings in Device Manager/Network Adaptors/Broadcom Wireless/Power Management.

Both options on my Vivotab were intially checked - 1) "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" AND 2) "Allow this device to wake the computer."

I read the warning message about enabling the second options, so I decided to UNCHECK the second option. I used the tablet at various times last evening, using the power button to go into sleep mode. I left it in sleep mode overnight, and this was the first time ever that I was ever able to wake it up overnight without going through a restart routine.

Granted, this was only a data point of 1, but I will try again this week. Others may want to do the same and try it out. Please post your results (worked overnight, or didn't work overnight).

By the way, my serial number begins with CCOKA, in case this means anything.

2. Breed

Breed Scribbler - Standard Member

Disabling option 2 probably breaks the networking feature of connected standby though, I'd imagine. Things like Skype won't be able to wake the computer from sleep if you receive a call. Did you find that your live tiles still updated during sleep?

3. NewYorker545

Breed, good point. I'll test with creating a calendar appointment on my desktop and see if an alarm pops up on the tablet.

4. NewYorker545

I put the Vivotab in sleep mode with the power buton. I then created a new appointment in Outlook on my desktop with an alarm. In a short period of time, I heard the alarm go off on the Vivotab that was in sleep mode. Since Calendar was auto-synched to Outlook/Exchange, I assume Connected Standby worked with "Allow this device to wake the computer" unchecked?

I don't use Skype and I can't tell if my live tiles updated or not since the news stories don't change that often. Any other ways to check the functionality of Connected Standby?

5. Alduin The World-Eater

Alduin The World-Eater Pen Pal - Newbie

Well yes, you put up a Reminder, event or whatever in Exchange after you put the Vivo Tab into sleep. That is pretty much the same as an incoming Skype call or whatever.

Thank you for your test, it's great to hear that it was working as intended. However, I'm still puzzled. Maybe the "Allow this device to wake the computer" means "Be able to wake the computer from an Standby-state of S4 or even S5 whereas Windows8 probably only goes into S3 or even less. (Read more about Windows power states here) - So it's still some legacy setting from the time of classic desktop computers and does not affect a mobile Win8 device.

I'm still scared about all the problems I read about so I haven't got a Vivo Tab yet and still waiting...

But it's fantastic to see that things are slowly getting better and better

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. NewYorker545

Day 2 of overnight sleep mode. I put the Vivotab in sleep mode with the power button last night. This morning, without touching the Vivotab, I set up an appointment in Outlook with an alarm for 2 minutes ahead of current time. With trepidation, I waited since I didn't know if the sleep mode/restart would happen again. Two minutes later, I heard the Vivotab alarm! Hit the power button to wake it up, and it did without any problems. Connected standby was clearly working and I have full sleep mode functionality!

I did notice that the battery level was at 93% before I hit the power button last night. This morning, when I woke it up, it was 60%.

7. NewYorker545

What problems are you still worried about? After updating to the recent Asus drivers, and my recent discovery of a stable sleep mode, this is almost a perfect tablet for me.

8. Alduin The World-Eater

Alduin The World-Eater Pen Pal - Newbie

To be honest, the draining from almost full down to 60 percent within a few hours is like it's not sleeping at all. Did you have a keyboard docked?

I have an extremely power-hungry Asus laptop with an AMD cpu - In Standby, it loses about one percent per hour and about 75% per hour when it's running. Oh and by the way, it also has trouble getting in and out of standby, Asus really has problems with their drivers....

9. NewYorker545

Actually the battery drain from 93% to 60% was over a 14-15 hour period while the tablet was on standby. I assume it was in connected standby mode and getting email updates overnight.

I have been getting very good battery life from the Vivotab and now really enjoying it!

Edit: No, I did not have a keyboard docked.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  10. Breed

Breed Scribbler - Standard Member

When connected stanby works properly, the battery should only drain around 5% per 16hr period. This happens to me occasionally, and other time it'll drain about 30%. Very frustrating. Something drains the battery when it shouldn't.