Vivotab TF810C - my list of issues

Discussion in 'Asus' started by ahkim, Dec 15, 2012.

1. ahkim

ahkim Pen Pal - Newbie

I posted about some of the issues I have with this tablet in another thread but I've got others to report so I'm starting a new thread.

1. Sometimes tablet won't resume from standby- I have to hold the power button and it will start fresh. With Keyboard Dock attached.

2. Sometimes tablet turns on after putting it to sleep. When I put the tablet to sleep, then close the tablet keyboard, I can peek and see light coming from the screen.

3. Sometimes the trackpad stops working after resuming from sleep. Keyboard dock attached. Most times, pressing FN+F9 to turn the trackpad off then back on enables the trackpad.

4. Sometimes the keyboard is not responsive after resuming from sleep. It seems the only way to fix is a restart.

5. Only 1-2 times so far, the Windows Key stops working after waking up from sleep.

Please note that have Windows 8 Pro Pack and Stardock's Start8 program installed. I'm not sure if either of these could be the issue.

Anyone else have these issues? Any suggestions? Should I ask for an exchange? Anyone out there with a flawless tablet without these problems?

Bottom line - this thing really pisses me off. Seems really buggy thus far.

2. ahkim

ahkim Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry, forgot to add my issues when docking and undocking. Oftentimes, when docking while the tablet is on, the keyboard or trackpad doesn't work. Just like then waking up from sleep mode.

How do you edit a post? I couldn't find that feature.

3. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

It looks like all of your issues are related to the sleep issue which has been discussed in other threads. I expect Asus to fix the sleep issue with a firmware fix, or possibly an RMA hardware fix. BUT, Asus doesn't really seem to be in full release/support mode yet, so it could be a while before the fix is completed.

Good luck, Jim

4. curtissh

curtissh Scribbler - Standard Member

Agreed. These little catches are almost certainly software related and should be fixed with better drivers. While that's understandable, Asus really does need to get off its ass and start supporting this product.

5. Alchemist

Alchemist Scribbler - Standard Member

Except, my history with asus driver issues is they tend to persist. For example...

I have an asus g73-sw3de. Basically the best gaming rig they made of that generation. i7 quad core, 120hz 3d 17" screen, 460m video, etc. etc. Well whenever it returns from sleep the fan goes wonky. Sounds like a jet engine then slowly winds down then zooms back up again over and over without respect to heat. Its always done it, no driver updates have fixed it in 18 month but it never really bugged me because I like a clean boot on the machine so son't resume much.

a few months back I got an asus ux31a ultrabook... instant on, beautiful machine but guess what... every time it came back from a sleep the fan would go all wonky, cranking up to 5500rpms, coasting down to 1500 then back up again. Reboot and its back to whisper silent. The only thing is, the instant on return from sleep is the whole reason i bought the ux31a and no driver updates solved the issue so it got returned.

Bottom line, I won't count on a fix to come from asus anymore.

6. hawkeye62

Well, my experience with Asus is that they do make fixes. I have an Asus TF101. The TF101 had a battery drain issue which Asus corrected with an RMA back to the factory. And there was a typing lag with the stock web browser that was fixed with one of the system firmware updates. I think Asus is very responsive to issues with their products. The TF101 works perfectly as a result of Asus fixing problems.

Regards, Jim

7. Alchemist

Alchemist Scribbler - Standard Member

Likely different divisions within the company since the TF101 is a android tablet. In any case im sure they fix things, although just as you have had success with them fixing problems my track record is enough of the opposite that I won't let one of their machines get past the return period without a solution available. The ux31a was the final straw for me it had numerous issues, which is a shame as it was a beautiful piece of hardware otherwise.

8. ahkim

ahkim Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like my issues are not unique and not worth an exchange. I hope they fix these issues soon. Should I call ASUS tech support? Are they aware of the issues?

9. hawkeye62

I would definitely call Asus Tech Support and get a case number.

Good luck, Jim

10. Techgeek32

Techgeek32 Scribbler - Standard Member

I picked my 810 up at 8am this morning and have been running it all day. I have tried to duplicate your issues and I have not been able to. Mine has worked flawlessly except for some speed issues now and then. I did not load Windows 8 Pro on it yet. Maybe there is a possible connection there. I don't have any trackpad issues so far. The keyboard is better than the Envy X2, Samsung 500T and 700T. The Samsung trackpads were slightly larger, but I am much happier with the ASUS. Probably because I have a UX21 with the 1080p display and the keyboard is pretty much the same thing except for no back lighting. The digitizer is working great and the display is much better than the other three. I would have liked 1080p, but this ASUS is bright enough to help the text look crisper and the 700T display was very milky and muddy. Not even as bright as the 500T. The battery life and having a decent Wacom digitizer is the selling point for me. The sound is not very loud, even if you cup your hands around the back of the tablet. The Samsungs and Envy were louder. I do hope that ASUS releases some drivers soon though. I would like to have some setting choices with the Synaptics touch pad.