Vivotab Smart: Back to Windows 8 from Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Asus' started by plunger, Jun 27, 2013.

1. plunger

plunger Pen Pal - Newbie

My Vivotab Smart has been experiencing many issues after I installed Windows 8.1 on it. I tried out the directions on this thread but I run in to an error message every time.

[ ERROR ] C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\B9WXED6F.13691CCA7A101_2.0.2.6_neutral__qmba6cd70vzyy (Error = 5)

Access is denied

Anyone know how to fix this?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. AegixNova

AegixNova Pen Pal - Newbie

How did you install 8.1? I thought that there was no Atom support. And out of curiosity, what kind of issues were you experiencing?

Anyhow, did you try the standard "reset" option, before anything in that thread? What's happened to your recovery partition?

3. plunger

plunger Pen Pal - Newbie

It works just fine for the ME400C. Just downloaded the update from the Windows 8.1 preview page and downloaded the OS from the app store as they said.

I am kind of concerned that if I ran the normal reset, it might reset it back to a clean Windows 8.1 and erase the original recovery partition. That's why I was trying the other way. Anyone try to do a normal reset on theirs?

4. AegixNova

The reset options grabs all the files it needs from the recovery partition, and returns the tablet to factory condition. Bloatware and all. It doesn't matter what OS you're currently running, it's meant to be the freshest of starts possible.
    If there was any chance of erasing the partition, it would have happened while you were installing 8.1, not if you were using the partition itself. I don't believe the installation would do that.

So go ahead! If all else fails you can just use a standard recovery USB. That thread is meant for very, very messed up tablets anyway.

EDIT: I hear that many Vivotab Smart users have just gotten an important Intel driver update through Windows update, which fixes a lot of issues in 8.1! Have you tried that? Maybe you won't need to roll back after all :D

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  5. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

EDIT: I hear that many Vivotab Smart users have just gotten an important Intel driver update through Windows update, which fixes a lot of issues in 8.1! Have you tried that? Maybe you won't need to roll back after all :D[/QUOTE]

So where did you hear this rumor? Care to share your source?

6. AegixNova

7. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks for the information bro.
    Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

8. Mimoid

Mimoid Pen Pal - Newbie

I downloaded the Windows 8.1 Pro RTM from MSDN and installed in on my VivoTab Smart ME400C that was previously running W8.

I wiped all the previous partitions (including the factory restore one) and ran the installer from a bootable pen drive.You need to be able to connect a USB mouse and keyboard to the tablet during the installation, so a mini USB hub is required.

In my opinion, the new Windows 8.1 is a vast improvement over Windows 8 on this tablet. It is much quicker and more reponsive, and finally the sleep button funcionality is also restored. No more strange freezes and wifi dropouts so far. Without having performed any scientific comparison tests, I have a feeling that the battery seems to last a lot longer than before. All the drivers from the Asus website are working - I have none of the issues previously mentioned in this thread.

I strongly recommend trying W8.1 on the ME400C.