vivotab note 8 ( US Release ) and micro sd recovery drive???

Discussion in 'Asus' started by cis4life, Mar 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cis4life

cis4life Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello

Just purchased a vivotab note 8 and I was under the impression that it is supposed to come with a micro sd card that holds the recovery partition. I didn't see one in my box ( bought it from the MS Store ). Am I missing something. I also went to create a recovery drive but the system says for me to insert a USB drive. I have a empty micro sd card in the slot, can't I use that?

2. BobWerk

BobWerk Pen Pal - Newbie

The recovery partition is on the internal drive on the 64GB version. That one doesn't come with a microSD card, only the 32GB version does.

3. cis4life

cis4life Pen Pal - Newbie

Ahhhh

Ok, so how do I go about moving the recovery to a blank micro sd? when I tried it wouldn't recognize the blank micro sd as an option / drive to create the recovery drive on. It wants a USB.

4. ananimus

ananimus Pen Pal - Newbie

Just posted this elsewhere, but a nice how-to video. He's very thorough. It's not a AVTN8, but everything should apply. (It's another new Bay Trail, Win8.1 tablet.)

At first he describes making a full disk image. That's nice if you want to recover the thing to a set up you like, including quite literally everything.

Then he shows how to do the standard copying and removal of just the recovery partition, which is very easy. He also shows what it's like using it for recovery to factory settings.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX_wqf9vY3Y

5. Nex01

Nex01 Pen Pal - Newbie

That looks a bit complicated..
    Isn't there a way to create a recovery MicroSD?

6. journey

journey Pen Pal - Newbie

You cannot use an internal microsd for creating a recovery drive -- I purchased an micro sdxc USB drive and was able to create the recovery 'drive'.

BTW, if all you want to do is to create a recovery microSD, then you can skip to that section of the youtube video -- in the video, the person first creates a system image, which is used to restore a system with the OS already installed. If you are only interested in have a recovery drive to perform a fresh install, then you can skip this step.

7. vvilmos

vvilmos Pen Pal - Newbie

Do you mean an external card reader connected via the otg cable?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.