Vivotab Note 8 touch input unresponsive after waking from sleep

Discussion in 'Asus' started by yuiness, May 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yuiness

yuiness Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had my Note 8 since mid-March, and it's been working well up to about a week ago. About a week ago, I started noticing that sometimes, when it wakes up from sleep, the touch input becomes unresponsive. When this happens, pen input continues to work perfectly. Rebooting the tablet fixes the problem, but it seems to be happening more and more often. I've tried to do a factory reset, but it hasn't seemed to help. Has anyone else noticed this problem? Any solutions?

2. machinofacture

machinofacture Pen Pal - Newbie

I have had this issue when Narrator is accidentally enabled. Go to desktop, setting, control panel, accessibility and disable it. Then restart. Sometimes it is not disabled right away so it might take a few tries.

Are you seeing these blue boxes appearing on your screen after you tap on things? This is another symptom of the narrator being on

3. iad-artwork

iad-artwork Pen Pal - Newbie

I have same problem! When my AVTN 8 wakes up it doesn't recognize any touch inputs, unless I use the pen..that's really silly and very annoying problem.
    Wish someone shares any fixes.

Thanks

4. Solrax

Solrax Pen Pal - Newbie

Look at this thread - http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/diy-fix-for-the-asus-vivotab-note-8-pen-failure.63696/
    It is just as applicable to touch failures as pen failures, in fact the author has repaired both types of failures.

To explain a bit, the touch screen and the pen are two separate input devices, with separate drivers and hardware. So it is possible for one piece of hardware (including the cable as noted in the linked thread) or driver to fail while the other keeps working. In your case it is possible the touch has broken while the pen still works.

iad-artwork likes this.
  5. iad-artwork

iad-artwork Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks it's working now

Solrax likes this.
  6. LeanLee

LeanLee Pen Pal - Newbie

That's interesting. I have a Lenovo Miix 2 8 that does the same thing from sleep. The otg with mouse still works though. Sounds more like a windows drivers problem than hardware. The surface pro 3 has had similar issues after Sleep.

I have an M80T arriving today, sick of the fat capacitive stylus on Miix.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  7. Solrax

Solrax Pen Pal - Newbie

I thought it was a driver problem too, since so often a reboot or device manager disable/enable would bring it back. But a clue to what was going on was that people discovered that pressing on the back of the case in certain places would bring the pen back when a reboot no longer would.

So since replacing my cable my digitizer is 100% reliable, and nothing that makes it sound like a driver problem.

Has anyone cracked open a Miix 2 to see if there are any exposed cables? I'm very curious as to how other manufacturers do this since Asus so clearly got it wrong.

8. LeanLee

LeanLee Pen Pal - Newbie

Yup one of the first things I do with anything. Yup several "exposed" cables, but the Miix does not have a digitizer, so not sure it matters. BUT, having been involved with hardware and software for 30 years, my guess is it is probably not the cable so much as re-seating the cable in the connectors. I will let you know what happens when I get M80TA today.
    One of the silly things I read here was about the tight bend. They are electrons and could care less about tight bends.
    I suspect that will ruffle feathers, but as an Electronics Engineer, I like to deal in facts and realities.

9. Solrax

Solrax Pen Pal - Newbie

I think in this case the issue would be a cable connecting the touch screen which I would guess the Miix has somewhere.

But you don't think it is possible that in one of these incredibly thin ribbon cables flexing on a sharp crease couldn't break in internal conductor? In my case, the cable was still very well seated (that is, it took some effort to remove it), but I have not had any problem at all since I replaced it with another cable that seems a bit thicker and robust. I never did bother to bring the old cable to work and test each conductor to see if one was broken, maybe I should -For Science!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.