Vivotab Note 8 Stuck in BIOS Loop

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Maki81, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Maki81

Maki81 Pen Pal - Newbie

This is probably futile, but perhaps I'll get lucky. :)

So, I have a Vivotab Note 8. Barely used it. It has spent most of its life next to my PC doing nothing. Within weeks after its 1 yr. warranty ended, it no longer would load into Windows. Instead, turning on the device takes me straight into the Aptio BIOS. Attempting to exit the BIOS makes the screen dark for a few seconds, and then I'm right back in the BIOS again.

When I searched around for this in the past, the general consensus on Tom's Hardware seemed to be that this was a symptom of a failed hard drive. Given this device's horrendous track record, it wouldn't surprise me. But at the same time, this presents an issue because it would mean my data is potentially still on the device, which makes me concerned about trying to recycle it (if there is such a thing).

So, I'm wondering if anyone here has experienced this and can either confirm the HDD cause, or perhaps knows of some super-secret troubleshooting method to get around it, force a reinstall, etc. This is the 64 GB model.